Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C?

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #81  
They work the same way a light bulb filament works, but in slow motion.
When you supply 110 volts to a light bulb, there is an inrush of current thru the filament. There is unlimited amperage available, but as soon as the filament gets (white) hot, (micro-seconds) resistance builds and restricts how much current can flow thru the filiment. If it were not for this resistance, the filament would burn out, instantly.
Heat tape is designed so that the cooler the tape, the more current it conducts. When it gets hotter, resistance increases and less current flows. It self regulates, just like the light bulb, but much slower.

If I understand YOUR theory correctly, a frost plug element self regulates.
Why doesn't it just get warm (hot) and then restrict its current to a sustainable level?
Why does it burn out if not immersed?
Why does immersing it in water change anything?

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #82  
Also make sure you have an additive in fuel like 911 or any type diesel fuel supplement for it wont con gel.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #83  
911 is only a POST gel treatment....not a gel prevention.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #84  
They work the same way a light bulb filament works, but in slow motion.
When you supply 110 volts to a light bulb, there is an inrush of current thru the filament. There is unlimited amperage available, but as soon as the filament gets (white) hot, (micro-seconds) resistance builds and restricts how much current can flow thru the filiment. If it were not for this resistance, the filament would burn out, instantly.
Heat tape is designed so that the cooler the tape, the more current it conducts. When it gets hotter, resistance increases and less current flows. It self regulates, just like the light bulb, but much slower.

If I understand YOUR theory correctly, a frost plug element self regulates.
Why doesn't it just get warm (hot) and then restrict its current to a sustainable level?
Why does it burn out if not immersed?
Why does immersing it in water change anything?
Designed like a heat tape Makes sense.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #85  
My 2017 Massey 1742 had trouble starting below -25c, even with the block heater plugged in. Had the tech out to check, all tests were good. Seems as with all things nowadays, manufacturers go with the minimum required. My battery was too small for the effect of losing capacity when the temp dropped drastically. A battery blanket solved the issue for me. Blanket is plugged in all the time, block heater is on a wireless remote switch, turn it on from the house 4 hrs or so before I need the tractor. At -30 or colder, screw it, the block heater is on.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #86  
I wonder what the difference in battery performance would be comparing a 1 amp trickle charger to a battery heater blanket?

I use the charger . It plugs into the same cube as the lower radiator hose heater. 2 hours, and good to go even when it's C-O-L-D.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #87  
-2 F last night, 5F when I went outside to start.
guess who forgot to plug battery tender in yesterday? yup...this idiot.
cycled glow plugs few times she would sputter but not start.
plugged tender and heater in and 10 minutes later tried it and turned 3 times and running with heat gauge showing warmth.
good to go no start fluids/jumps/etc needed.
but the thing is...if I had the tender plugged in it WOULD have started. cycling plugs was enough of drain it could not spin fast as needed. thats why I added block heater. for when I screw up.
10 minutes after tractor groaning to even turn over I had it running.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #88  
Fortunately my CUT's battery space allowed me to install a much larger one.
Then I have a 300 w block heater.
When it is really cold I am plugged in 24/24.*
An intelligent battery maintainer is permantly wired in as well as an LED witness light (modified LED 'night light) so that I can confirm that power is at my tractor.
My fuel is always treated with an anti gell. (lived and learned)

Xmas eve (at -20 C) an idiot driver ended up at my back door and could not drive out due to my steep hill.
I hopped into my CUT and she fired up with but one glow plug cycle and since the engine coolant was already warm my cab was comfortable plus I was ready to roll as the engine was warm.

*OK, costs me a bit of electricity but for convenience and reliability but it is a small price to pay, besides electricity in Quebec is reasonable. Heck no worst than having left a few lights on overnight and LOL, that is offset by my now mostly LED household lighting.

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #89  
Fortunately my CUT's battery space allowed me to install a much larger one.
Then I have a 300 w block heater.
When it is really cold I am plugged in 24/24.*
An intelligent battery maintainer is permantly wired in as well as an LED witness light (modified LED 'night light) so that I can confirm that power is at my tractor.
My fuel is always treated with an anti gell. (lived and learned)

Xmas eve (at -20 C) an idiot driver ended up at my back door and could not drive out due to my steep hill.
I hopped into my CUT and she fired up with but one glow plug cycle and since the engine coolant was already warm my cab was comfortable plus I was ready to roll as the engine was warm.

*OK, costs me a bit of electricity but for convenience and reliability but it is a small price to pay, besides electricity in Quebec is reasonable. Heck no worst than having left a few lights on overnight and LOL, that is offset by my now mostly LED household lighting.
really not that much cost for electricity either. I have a 2amp tender/maintainer wired in
and I bet over a full late fall/winter/early spring season it costs me less than 10$ US.
have had the block heater in since Oct 2020 in this is first time I NEEDED to use it. used it once before as test. and only had to use it today cause of my own stupidity LOL

/ Cold weather start, with glow plugs and block heater. Why does my tractor not start at minus 20 C? #90  
Jelled fuel? Try adding Diesel 9-1-1 and clear the fuel filter if that doesn't help.