Cold weather starting and idleing?

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #21  
I believe that most fuel injection into a cylinder is just before TDC. So this theory of dissolving the oil of the entire cylinder wall would actually be false. Also fuel injection in modern vehicles is moe vaporized to allow more efficient fuel usage (better mpg). After the fuel is burned, the properties of the fuel obviously change which makes it's dissolving properties no more.
Also i don't see much of a difference of warming up at idle and warming up by driving easy. That being said this guy's theory would them be accelerated making it worse on the engine.
As for me i don't mind a warm vehicle to get into on a cold day.

Final note, the mechanical engineer he mentioned is basically part of the Department of Energy (argonne lab). You gonna tell me there is no liberal leaning there? Guarantee you that guy let's his vehicle run before he gets in.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #22  
In this cold weather, the truck (gasoline) sets idling for a minute or so...unless I need to scrape the windshield (then it's a few more minutes). It's still quite chilly and not much from the heater/defroster when I start moving.
As far as the tractor, I do plug it in for a hour or two when the temperature is < 35 degrees. Fast idle (1500 RPM), then start slow. I never engage the PTO until the tractor is thoroughly warmed to normal operating temperature.

Last edited:
   / Cold weather starting and idleing? #23  
With the new systems being added to the engines it is best not to idle for extended periods of time. Diesels need to be warmed totally and need to be run at a high temp not to have issues with the exhaust cleaners. We have found that for some they are definitely not being used enough or run at proper operating temperatures causing heat or burn off so the systems are regenerating quite often.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #24  
With the new systems being added to the engines it is best not to idle for extended periods of time. Diesels need to be warmed totally and need to be run at a high temp not to have issues with the exhaust cleaners. We have found that for some they are definitely not being used enough or run at proper operating temperatures causing heat or burn off so the systems are regenerating quite often.

Absolutely correct. Idling a cold diesel to warm it up just bungs the exhaust system with combustion deposits and soot.
Just because an engine will start without a block heater doesn't mean it should be started without a block heater. Some people are all so concerned with a warmup time to prevent blowing up their precious engine so they start a stone cold engine and let it idle, idle and idle with cold cylinder walls. This is when the highest amount of wear occurs.
Plug in the block heater and warm up the engine. Even when covered when frost and snow the defroster starts blowing warm air to clear the wind shield . By the time the windows have the snow brushed off the vehicle interior is warming up.
Some vehicles have that useless 0F thermostat on the plug end of the block heater cord. Cut the thermostat off and install an ordinary male U-Ground plug.
A diesel engine no matter what machine it is installed in, by design needs to be operated at heavy load, at rated rpms and for extended periods of time at full operating temperature. Wet stacking in the old days occurred for a reason. Today bunged particulate filters also occur for a reason.
If you want to putt around, a spark ignition engine by design is more tolerant of short duty, puttering around light and intermittent load operation. That is why they still use spark ignition engines on forklifts etc.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #25  
That is pure nonsense . Gasoline and diesel are both lubricants , rub them between your fingers . His theory of washing down cylinder walls is not fact but opinion . What about accelerating with a cold engine , more fuel . There is a reason for the oil control ring on the bottom of the piston . With todays machining and tolerances this is a non issue .

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #26  
Depends on fuel and emission systems. At low idle diesels can wet stack, the cylinder walls are cool and a lot of cold air prevents a full burn, this can wash the walls....In theory....

What the real issue is today is the emissions systems don't like a cold start followed by a lot of idling, better to put them to work asap to get them warm.

Gas stuff can idle all day, especially fuel injected.

All that said, I always try to give my diesel car, truck, and tractor time to warm up, especially while I make coffee in the morning. Who wants to sit in a cold car for 10 minutes.

My ram 2500 has an hour meter that shows idling and driving. I got it used and was surprised how much the previous owner let it idle, and even though I try to minimize it, how much I do. Why do they keep track of this? Emission system and warranty.

With tractors they have hydraulic fluid that needs to warm up a bit, which is a good reason to let em warm up IMO.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #27  
That is pure nonsense . Gasoline and diesel are both lubricants , rub them between your fingers . His theory of washing down cylinder walls is not fact but opinion . What about accelerating with a cold engine , more fuel . There is a reason for the oil control ring on the bottom of the piston . With todays machining and tolerances this is a non issue .

YMMV. Depends on engine design, and fuel source.

At various points in time, some engines had issues with oil control rings (meaning when brand new), often in the pursuit of low-drag efficiency. Some engines may be susceptible to wash-down, many will not.

Some
DI gas motors have had an issue with fuel dilution. Are diesels totally immune - IMO, no. But, diesels have a couple of advantages in this area - for quite some time, decent diesel oils have been designed to tolerate some fuel dilution. DI gas is relatively new; I don't know how common it is for S_ rated oils to tolerate fuel dilution - if/when I get close to buying a DI gas motor, I'll know better.

Lastly, diesel isn't normally contaminated with ethanol. More % ethanol = less lube in gas.

I drive older vehicles. Warm up MPFI gas engines while cleaning off, drive away at a reasonable pace. If it gets towards -40, idle time goes up some. Diesel gets 1 hour+ block heater time.

Modern vehicles have some advantages - ex. Dex6 flows way better cold than Dex3 - so modern vehicles can be driven away faster than what I call olde iron. Modern engines can be easily programmed to stay off 100% power (derate output) until the engine and trans are warmed up - keeps your kid (or you) from firewalling the engine at -40 startup.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Cold weather starting and idleing? #28  
On my truck engine (16 liter Cat ) when its below freezing I let it run for about a half hour before taking off with a load , course if its below 0 it runs all night to keep me warm , Im thinking that article was written by someone dealing with those brutal L.A winters .

Up here overnight, Webastos are popular. Keeps the cab and truck warm, with less fuel.

Rgds, D.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #29  
My ram 2500 has an hour meter that shows idling and driving. I got it used and was surprised how much the previous owner let it idle, and even though I try to minimize it, how much I do. Why do they keep track of this? Emission system and warranty.

Also a factor in the oil change calculation, if interval is fllagged on dash.

Rgds, D.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #30  
Somewhere where it's really cold all the time, I may let it warm up, to keep from freezing my back side off.

Here in Ohio, I usually warm my car on the road.

If, one way or the other was substantially better, you wouldn't need opinions, there would evidence of it.