Cold weather starting and idleing?

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #1  

devildog1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's
I always thought you should start you vehicle and let it warm up until a this on PC today. Your thoughts?
DevilDog

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-the-engine/ar-BBxuI1d?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCDHP

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #2  
The article is true. That's what I do in winter. Start the truck, clear the snow and ice (takes about 5-8 minutes) then get in and take off.
I start my tractor the same way for plowing snow. I check the oil, then start it and get in and go. My tractor is kept in the garage and only gets a couple minute warm up before I go. I plow at slow RPM (about 1500) for about 10 minutes then bump up to 2200 RPM. Heat is usually blowing by then and temp is in normal range.

Last edited:
   / Cold weather starting and idleing? #3  
[ I always thought you should start you vehicle and let it warm up until a this on PC today. Your thoughts?
DevilDog

I usually follow the instructions in the owner's manual.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #4  
The link didn't work for me, but I'm a warmer upper my self and don't see how warming a vehicle up would hurt a thing but the "greenie's" imagination. Tractors & other basically hydraulic machines I give an easy 15-20 min. in the real cold. I just picture a .10 cent o ring, of which there are many, hard as a rock failing in the cold. How many internal plastic parts are in today's machines & vehicles? You know what plastic does in the cold!

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #6  
Thanks George, but I'm stickin to my warm up. There's a whole lot more than just the cyl. walls to be concerned with, at least in my little brain:D My pickup is closing in on 7000 hours. Oil & filter changes only, but prolly 100 hours of warm up time:laughing:

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #7  
Thanks George, but I'm stickin to my warm up. There's a whole lot more than just the cyl. walls to be concerned with, at least in my little brain:D My pickup is closing in on 7000 hours. Oil & filter changes only, but prolly 100 hours of warm up time:laughing:

Only about 3200 miles on my truck. As I said, if I'm going somewhere I only give it enough time to clear the snow and ice then I go. If I'm not in a hurry I do hit the remote start which runs for a full 10 minutes so it's nice and warm when I get in.
With the tractor in the garage it doesn't get below 40 deg. so a couple minutes is good enough before moving it.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #8  
10-4 on the heated garage! The only thing is that the snow sticks to the 60* plow for the first 10 minutes or so. What a problem to have right?:laughing:

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #9  
I don't know how you're supposed to drive safely when your windshield is frozen over and you have no defrosters because your engine is cold. I think whoever wrote that article never drove in winter weather.

/ Cold weather starting and idleing? #10  
I don't know how you're supposed to drive safely when your windshield is frozen over and you have no defrosters because your engine is cold. I think whoever wrote that article never drove in winter weather.

Just may be.