Coleman generator repair

/ Coleman generator repair #1  

MikeD74T

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
Not tractor but many here have generators.... I have a 4000 watt Coleman Powermate with a broken connecting rod. Been sitting in the barn for about 8 years as I occasionally look for a replacement engine on CL. last week a coworker listed a 6k Coleman Powermate Extended Run on the company trading post -"engine runs great - won't make power- $100". Sure enough it started right up & ran great. It stopped making power during a multiday ice storm when his hot tub heater came on unexpectedly. Local shop wanted $350 & 3 days to repair so he just bought another, bigger whole house model. I bought it planning to mate his engine with my generator. While disassembling each I did a little research with a multimeter to compare the two generators. The only difference was continuity between the field slip rings. Pulled the dead rotor, found a broken wire where the coil attaches to the slip ring. Soldered in a 1" piece of 16 gauge wire & 40 minutes into the project I have a working 6k generator. Still need a motor for the 4K. I'm a happy camper waiting for Earl to show up this afternoon. :D
I just wonder if the shop knew what was wrong and sold him a new generator just because the whole region was without power ?!? He's real happy with his new setup so I'll keep my success to myself. MikeD74T

/ Coleman generator repair #2  
Congratulations on your success in fixing the broken generator. I often see similar cases for sale on Craigslist - even Hondas. If one was good with generator repair, I'm sure there is opportunity there.