Coleman UT400 UTV?

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
TSC has it on sale for $7000, with 48mo 0% financing, or $147/mo. I've been looking to get one and this thing seems like it has all the options.

The only thing I don't see would be a plow would be nice for snow. Other primary uses would be hauling chicken feed, fire wood, moving the small trailer around, and going up the road to my mothers to help her with stuff. Which the 30-40mph top speed would be nice for.

Anyone have opinions on it? I only have tractors and trucks.

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #2  
We've had one for about 9 years. Engine is bulletproof. Rest of it can use some work. Spare parts for the 400 are harder to find since most folks go for 800 and up engine.

We've upgraded to a Kawa mule and the Coleman is at my dad's but he brought it out to the property to do work. Even though it has no rear brake and a burnt up rear axle.

/ Coleman UT400 UTV?
9 years is a good amount of time. It's not a large property and I don't think the 400 would be a limiting factor for what i'm asking of it. I see a lot of mixed reviews, but there are a lot of stupid people who don't know how to use things. So it's hard to tell.

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #4  
Only thing I really didn't like was that ours had no low gear. Pulling something sometimes was challenging. Once you get going, more than enough power.

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #5  
That price certainly is attractive; I'd imagine having a tractor can make up for the UTV's lack of pull, and it must be quite the useful little runabout.

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #6  
They are actually Hisun's. Coleman just rebranded it under Coleman.

We got alot of good years out of ours understanding of course it is what it is. It's pulled alot of deer out, moved alot of gravel and I don't even know how many cord of wood.

Being in MI, it was amazing in snow, it would just grab and go.

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #7  
I started looking into entry level UTV's because of this thread, and quickly found Hisun makes the Coleman. I came back here to mention it, and you beat me to it. 😀

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #8  
Small things like parking brake can't be adjusted. No safety on it and it's automotive style so easy to overlook. Transmission was solid, no issues. Front axle was good also.

Rear axle on ours not so much...actually it sucked. Nut holding the input pinion shaft loosened up. Smoked the bearings. It was never right after that. Good thing is rear axle is easy to get out.
IMG_20210606_161937.jpg

IMG_20210606_161945.jpg

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #9  
Wife and I have been kicking the idea of this UTV around…..price went up $1000!!

/ Coleman UT400 UTV? #10  
I wouldn't walk away from it but just understand it's limitations. We bought ours from cabelas. No maintenance that they offer...ie no warranty work. For flat country it's great. For hilly country or mountains, forget it. Unless it has a low gear.

Our axle issue I hope wasn't a common problem. You can't even drive a mile before it heats up, smokes and then seizes up.

For a plain Jane machine to just cruise or do minor work, it's not bad. Imo for the same price or a few hundred more.....buy a mule....kawasaki that is