Colorado wolf reintroduction

/ Colorado wolf reintroduction
I read a study from Poland and they analyze wolves fecal matter and saw some population that had close to 10% over all diets coming from domesticated animals.

/ Colorado wolf reintroduction #13  
Poland's a pretty different environment than the high country of Colorado or Wyoming.

I was working on grizzly bear studies when they were working on introducing wolves to Yellowstone. Since then there's been a lot of good effects on the environment. For example the wolves keep the elk and deer out of the valley bottoms so there's more vegetation along the rivers, which is good for fish. Wolves are a keystone species that have a huge positive effect on the rest of the ecosystem. This is a pretty good summary: Keystone Species: How the wolves of Yellowstone changed the rivers -

The area I did field work in was wilderness area just outside the park. It's known as some of the best fishing in the lower 48. People spend big bucks to get packed in for fishing trips.

/ Colorado wolf reintroduction #14  
Poland's a pretty different environment than the high country of Colorado or Wyoming.

I was working on grizzly bear studies when they were working on introducing wolves to Yellowstone. Since then there's been a lot of good effects on the environment. For example the wolves keep the elk and deer out of the valley bottoms so there's more vegetation along the rivers, which is good for fish. Wolves are a keystone species that have a huge positive effect on the rest of the ecosystem. This is a pretty good summary: Keystone Species: How the wolves of Yellowstone changed the rivers -

The area I did field work in was wilderness area just outside the park. It's known as some of the best fishing in the lower 48. People spend big bucks to get packed in for fishing trips.
We have a working forest... which some want to take so that it can be turned back into a wilderness.

I would like to see the same study made in Canada around rural communities, once a year there is a bunch of people that get their dog kill by wolfs.

I agree with Yellowstone only because it is a park, there is no hunting, very little (if any) farming. you cant say it work there therefore it will work everywhere when the situation is not the same...

from the articles
''Despite efforts to control the ruminant populations''

what effort and how much effort ?? not all options has been tried since they never try hunting, I argue hunting would have had the same effect. but ok no hunting, introduce the wolf that's fine it works there only because you want a area without human intervention.

/ Colorado wolf reintroduction #16  
Being the USA's oldest national park, Yellowstone is also the place where there's been professional wildlife management for the longest. Pretty much everything has been tried there at one time or another.

At times there has been a lot of hunting, at other times none. Hunting has always been allowed in most of the land surrounding Yellowstone, and the elk herds in particular do not adhere to the park boundaries, preferring to winter in lower valleys to the north and south of the park.

This is a decent summary of the history of wildlife management in the park: The Slaughter of Elk at Yellowstone National Park - JSTOR Daily

/ Colorado wolf reintroduction #18  
The release of wolves in Colorado is simply the next step of the governor and his animal activist husband’s war on agriculture and hunting in the state.

But it doesn’t matter now. There is now nothing that can be done. Wolves are here and there is nothing capable of stopping the explosion of the population. The is so much food for them. None of the deer, elk, antelope or cattle are used to the pressure, hunting and slaughter that the wolves are going to bring.

Luckily I’m old enough I won’t have to watch for long.

Being the USA's oldest national park, Yellowstone is also the place where there's been professional wildlife management for the longest. Pretty much everything has been tried there at one time or another.

At times there has been a lot of hunting, at other times none. Hunting has always been allowed in most of the land surrounding Yellowstone, and the elk herds in particular do not adhere to the park boundaries, preferring to winter in lower valleys to the north and south of the park.

This is a decent summary of the history of wildlife management in the park: The Slaughter of Elk at Yellowstone National Park - JSTOR Daily

nice read, sound like they could've open hunting within the park something that hasn't been done since the 1880's even if it would've been bow hunting I think it could've fix their problem instead of culling / waist 5000 beast.. yes they leave the boundary but like the article said they adapted and were reluctant to leave the park... regardless over all I agree with the wolves reintroduction especially if they won't accept hunting with it the park, it is still differently then Colorado, not the same.

The release of wolves in Colorado is simply the next step of the governor and his animal activist husband’s war on agriculture and hunting in the state.

But it doesn’t matter now. There is now nothing that can be done. Wolves are here and there is nothing capable of stopping the explosion of the population. The is so much food for them. None of the deer, elk, antelope or cattle are used to the pressure, hunting and slaughter that the wolves are going to bring.

Luckily I’m old enough I won’t have to watch for long.
I agree with that and it will certainly happen, they will stop hunting so the population recover, the wolves will die and moves due to lack of resources, (cause and effect), then the elk population will rebound at that point but never to their previous numbers. It will take a few generation for the population to adapted.

Last edited: