Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh!

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
Recently my 90 yo Dad died. I have been tasked to help my 90 yo mother to get 'things' in order.

We had gotten pretty much everything taken care of except for getting a few of her 'auto pay' bills switched over to new bank account we opened in her name only. Her electric bill is one and Comcast is another.

I went to the electric company and they took the new auto pay info which they took with no problem....all done...simple.

To get the name changed on the account, they required my mother to fill out a simple form.

Then I went to Comcast and gave them the new auto pay info which they took with no problem....all done...simple.

Then I asked them to correct the account name from my father's name to my mother's name.

"No problem. All you need to do is fill out this 2 sided form and supply us with a copy of the death certificate."

You need a copy of the death certificate? !?!?!?!?

"Yes, we'll make a copy and you can have your original back."

You have to be kidding. Forget changing the name. I'll let you deal with a dead man from now on.

I left.

We'll see what happens.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #2  
Sorry for your loss OP.

I'd consider canceling the service and starting it back up in her name as a new customer. You may even get the new customer pricing.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh!
Thank you.

I didn't consider that!!!!

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #4  
Sorry for your loss. I agree with Pixguy. You cannot fix stupid in the corporate world.
Don't waste time with Comcast. Cancel and negotiate a lower monthly cost to get you to renew.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #5  
Sorry for your loss!

Worst company in America.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #6  
Sorry for your loss, it's tough enough going thru what you have to deal with, without companies making it harder.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #7  
They may not let you cancel it without the certificate. Close the bank accounts and they might resolve it quicker.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #8  
Sorry for your loss. You are to be commended for helping to take care of things for your mom. Taking care of aging parents is a HUGE job that people that haven't done it don't appreciate.

Try calling and cancelling over the phone claiming to be your dad. It should work fine.

I recently set up on line access to one of my dad's bank accounts. I know all his info (SSN, mother's maiden name, etc.) so it was pretty easy. I was waiting for the person on the other end of the line to say "you sound pretty spry for an 81 year old man! And, you're to be congratulated for wanting on line access at your age!" LOL!!

BTW, I do have POA for both of my parents but have found that it's much easier to do things over the phone posing as my dad. Otherwise they want copies of the POA, etc. and that's just a major pain.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh! #9  
Recently my 90 yo Dad died. I have been tasked to help my 90 yo mother to get 'things' in order.

We had gotten pretty much everything taken care of except for getting a few of her 'auto pay' bills switched over to new bank account we opened in her name only. Her electric bill is one and Comcast is another.

I went to the electric company and they took the new auto pay info which they took with no problem....all done...simple.

To get the name changed on the account, they required my mother to fill out a simple form.

Then I went to Comcast and gave them the new auto pay info which they took with no problem....all done...simple.

Then I asked them to correct the account name from my father's name to my mother's name.

"No problem. All you need to do is fill out this 2 sided form and supply us with a copy of the death certificate."

You need a copy of the death certificate? !?!?!?!?

"Yes, we'll make a copy and you can have your original back."

You have to be kidding. Forget changing the name. I'll let you deal with a dead man from now on.

I left.

We'll see what happens.

My old Comcast account started out in my father's name. He died.

The cable bill came to me in my name.

Comcast refused to remove my father's name from the account.

So every time I called into Comcast I had to pound in my dead father's SS number and be reminded how much I love and miss him.

To say I dislike Comcast is an understatement.

/ Comcast ---- arrrrggggghhhhhh!
I have had POA's and health proxies for both parents for years. Unfortunately a POA turns into toilet paper upon the death of the author.

You're right about the phone thing. I've made the mistake of saying that I'm calling for my Dad with various companies over the past couple of years. They told me that he must authorize me to 'work' with them and asked me to hand the phone to him....he was deaf. I told him to say yes when he has the phone and when he gives it back to me, they tell me it's ok to 'work' with them as he gave them his permission. I could have passed the phone to someone walking by on the sidewalk for all they cared.

How there can be so many idiots in the world, I'll never know.

Just saying that I was him worked better.

I might have to try that again.