Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements?

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements?
Well, I guess it's a non-issue now as I just traded the 3500 in for a 2020 F250 Lariat Fleet long bed with a 10,000GVWR. I'll put a pronghorn bed on the F250 and it should serve me well. The Lariat Fleet is a nice package with just the right amount of amenities without the gaudy exterior trim, sunroof or other worthless options.

It's interesting though that GM chooses to give it's 2500 truck a 11,350 GVWR. Seems like they would be screwing themselves on fleet sales.

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #12  
What no pictures..........

What no pictures..........

Sorry, still getting prepped at dealer. They should have it ready in the morning. I had to have them add a gooseneck ball, even though I'll eventually be putting a pronghorn bed on it. I'll eventually sell the B&W hitch to recoup the expense if they can't use it with the pronghorn.

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #14  
Getting a DOT number is no big deal. (Famous last words)

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #15  
It's interesting though that GM chooses to give it's 2500 truck a 11,350 GVWR. Seems like they would be screwing themselves on fleet sales.
I think you are incorrect about the GM/CHEVY 2500. It is definitely available with 10,000 GVWR. I have seen them on local dealer lots. Chevy Options2020.jpeg

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #16  
OK,
I think I'm getting a better understanding (I hope). If I'm INTRASTATE, then a CMV is required, which is what I have as my state registration says commercial motor vehicle (the plate is the same as all my other vehicles). When I leave the state, now I'm subject to DOT for INTERSTATE commerce which must open up a whole other can of worms.

Sounds like I might be looking for a 9,999# company vehicle which meets all my needs for a company vehicle anyway. I do love the 3500 flatbed, so I might buy that from the company for myself and put farm plates on it.

It is amazing how the OEM's keep increasing the GVWR of their vehicles. a 3/4 ton used to have a 8600# rating, now they're pushing over 10K. Kind of like a biggest d!ck contest to pump their advertising claims. Seems like they would be cutting their own throat for fleet sales though.
More than half the 50 state's now require DOT# for INTERSTATE as well.
P.S. You can also order an F350 SRW with 10,000 GVWR if that better meets your needs.F350%20Options%202020.jpeg

I think you are incorrect about the GM/CHEVY 2500. It is definitely available with 10,000 GVWR. I have seen them on local dealer lots.View attachment 663725

That's interesting, because the folks at my local Chevy dealership, commercial vehicle department, aren't aware of it. Too bad for them, because I went out and bought a Ford F250 longbed based on their lack of knowledge and will likely remain with Fords from here on out (unless I have problems with it). Actually, I'm pretty impressed with the Ford. I just did a weeklong trip and put the first 700 miles on it, with an average of 19.6 MPG. It has more road noise and a more jittery ride then my 2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, but part of the road noise is the Ford tires are more AT than the street Michelins on the Chevy.

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #18  
More than half the 50 state's now require DOT# for INTERSTATE as well...

Meant to say more than half the states now require DOT# for INTRASTATE.

"States that Require a DOT Number

Apart from federal regulations, some states require their intrastate commercial motor vehicle registrants* to obtain a USDOT Number.* These states include:

Alabama Alaska Arizona California Colorado Connecticut Florida Georgia Idaho Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Missouri Montana New Jersey New York Nebraska Nevada NorthCarolina Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Puerto Rico South Carolina Texas Utah Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming"

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #19  
If you get DOT numbers you will open up a can of worms.....

I have applied for and received USDOT numbers just two days ago. The above is an absolutely true statement.

Fortunately I do not have a registration fee and only need to provide driver qualification files for myself and my father, register in the Unified Carrier Registration, perform a safety audit with the local DOT office and label my truck. I hope this does not turn into an avalanche of other regulations, but fully expect it.

/ Commercial Motor Vehicle requirements? #20  
I think most states require DOT on farm trucks also. I have read a good bit about the horse trailers being pull across state lines with 1ton trucks. People put the truck and trailer under the farm for taxes. Haul a horse to a show across state lines. They get stopped and asked for DOT and CDL. Since the horse show gives prices, they are hauling across state lines with a commercial vehicle for profit. Ticket for some and have been told that some were made to pull it over until they could get someone with CDL.