Common rail vs mechanical injection

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #141  
The grid heater is for emissions control as much as a starting aid. Same engine used in many other applications without a grid heater that have to operate in cold weather.

Grid heater begins operating below 60*F. Some speculate cold starting aid doesn’t become beneficial till below 0*F. Rarely see those temps. I have to be careful if I use the truck for short trips on the farm not allowing enough time charge the batteries back.
Always been a quick starter and reliable engine in 25 years of ownership. Only real problem being a weak fuel shutoff solenoid used in the Dodge application. Easily upgraded.
That's a very nice distortion of my comment which was a response to an interpretation of language in an operators manual.
If you had and used a block heater your grid heater cycle times would be less and you probably wouldn't have battery charge state concerns. Those cycle times are determined by coolant temps in almost all cases, not ambient temperature.
Broad based speculation about what temps starting aids are or are not effective are just that, speculation when not associated with a specific engine. Starting characteristics can and do vary, sometime by a lot.

Last edited:
   / Common rail vs mechanical injection #142  
Nice post by 90Cummins on those diesels.

I'm one who believes that preheating is beneficial not just for emissions or starting but also for a reduction in wear. And I believe that pre-lubing - as with a compression release - is also beneficial.

But I'll admit those are just beliefs of mine. I can call it common sense, but can't point to a shred of evidence backing me up. It would be nice to be able to point to real test results.
rScotty

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection
You might be able to get one of the AGCOs (Massey, Challenger, AGCOs) with a CVT. I have a 7495 and love it.
I have been researching the Agco tractors with the CVT. Lots of good said about them.
I initially wanted nothing to do with a CVT trans because I figured they would be too complex and expensive to work on. Sounds like they are pricey, but simply get swapped out instead of rebuilt. And they hold up a long time it sounds. 10,000 hours or so on the Agco IVT.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #144  
I have been researching the Agco tractors with the CVT. Lots of good said about them.
I initially wanted nothing to do with a CVT trans because I figured they would be too complex and expensive to work on. Sounds like they are pricey, but simply get swapped out instead of rebuilt. And they hold up a long time it sounds. 10,000 hours or so on the Agco IVT.
One tech was telling me it’s actually competitive prices between fully rebuilding a powershift and replacing a CVT.
They are a dream to operate

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection
One tech was telling me it’s actually competitive prices between fully rebuilding a powershift and replacing a CVT.
They are a dream to operate
My, that's getting mighty tempting. I'll have to demo one.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #146  
Technology is a wonderful thing, hard to keep up with all of the new options.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #147  
Technology is a wonderful thing, hard to keep up with all of the new options.
It’s is, but one thing I never understood was how these manufacturers come out with new technologies and won’t back it up with warranties to protect us if it fails. We end up footing the bill for failures, like DPFs or other failed systems costing us thousands more.
If DPFs and DEF is mandated, then there should be some kind of compensatory system to help us repair them when they fail so they can pass their mandated inspections.
Probably why when they fail, many bypass them.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #148  
I'm all for cleaning up the environment and looking out for our children of the future, I just would like to see some things be exempt such as tractors and technology used for farming purposes.

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #149  
I'm all for cleaning up the environment and looking out for our children of the future, I just would like to see some things be exempt such as tractors and technology used for farming purposes.
Why do you think agriculture is last on the list and export only farmers are exempt from restrictions?

/ Common rail vs mechanical injection #150  
What restrictions are "export only" farmers exempt from and exactly what are "export only" farmers?