Buying Advice Compact for new 43 acre wooded property

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #41  
The JD 4020 series, which include the 4120, 4320, 4520, and 4720 tractors, all use the American, JD Powertech engine. The smaller CUT's do use the Japanese Yanmar engines. Some say the Powertech engine is assembled in Mexico, but technically, that is still part of "America". Certainly much of the profits from the sales end up back here in the States. I do know for certain that in about 7 years of relatively hard usage, the only trouble I have had with my 4120 has been that I had to put a new starter on it after about 3 years. I got an aftermarket "powerstrike" starter from Amazon for around $130 as I recall, and it has been much better than the OEM Bosh unit that came on the tractor. No way would I replace a unit that failed prematurely with another, when a cheaper alternative (Powerstrike) exists. I actually got the brand-new JD for less money than a comparably sized Kubota (GL 4330), and for about the same as a lighter duty New Holland (?40) that did not include a removable-bucket as standard equipment as did the JD. My tractor even still has the original equipment battery. When it comes down to country of origin, its hard to argue with keeping it as American as possible especially when it gets you the best price. I also think you should be looking at 2 tractors, with something like a 4120 for the larger jobs.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #42  
Some say the Powertech engine is assembled in Mexico, but technically, that is still part of "America". Certainly much of the profits from the sales end up back here in the States.

or as I call it "North American" made.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #43  
Was American vs. foreign an issue raised by the OP? If not, is this the place for extended debate on that topic? Just saying...

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #44  
I would go with a 3000 series John Deere. I have 56 acres about 14 or 15 mowed and the rest is woods. I have a J.D. 790 which is the same as the 3005. I also have a loader and backhoe for it. It works very well, I have a lot of steep hills so i went with a gear transmission instead of hyro. Also have a 5' tiller. I definately wouldn't want a smaller tractor, a little larger would be nice, however when i am in the woods with my tractor it is just the right size. A bigger tractor wouldn't work so well in the woods. Another deciding factor for me was John Deere is an american company, and I am an american, so i try to support my country. REMEMBER BUY AMERICAN OR BYE AMERICA!!

JD 790 is made in Japan and last I checked the FEL was made in China. Kubota may be a Japanese company, but at least they are assembled in the USA and most of their attachments are also made here. I'd pay a 25% premium for a domestically manufactured tractor if it was available. I won't even consider buying anything made in China.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #45  
Was American vs. foreign an issue raised by the OP? If not, is this the place for extended debate on that topic? Just saying...

No, but fact checking is important when flag waving. I am very dedicated to buying American made products, and will spend lots of time searching for USA made products, gladly spend extra money on them, or sometimes wait months (or years) to buy a particular used item when the only new options are from China or some other country I don't buy from if I can possibly help it. Sometimes (as in the case of compact tractors), there is no option that is mostly American made, so other factors creep into the equation (where are they assembled? Where are the attachments made? Where is the company headquartered?).

Nevertheless, bold statements such as claiming one should buy a John Deere because it is "American Made" must be refuted if they are patently false.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #46  
There is a lot of good advice on this thread, especially wisdom from Grandad4. I have a slightly different view from others.

I do mostly woods work with my Kubota B3300SU, one increment smaller than the 'L' series. The B3300SU is highly maneuverable, as are the smaller 'L' series.

I bought B3300SU for the complete package of FEL, HST and 4-WD at a package price. The FEL is my most used implement in the woods, often with a Ratchet Rake or debris forks attached; less often with a bucket spade. I use the FEL to lift large timbers before attaching a chain with a slip hook, then reversing to tow them out.

If you are going to do a lot of woods work skip the mid-PTO for MMM. You do not want to plow through brush with a mid-PTO. There are lots of 3-Pt hitch mounted PTO mowers and lots of towed PTO finish mowers; go with one of them.

The B3300SU and L3240 have 33-HP/32-HP but the extra 1000 pounds of the L3240 makes it functionally more powerful when pulling while retaining low fuel consumpltion and maneuverability.

Large tractors are great. However, you lose the ability to get into tight places, the implements cost more as you move up in size and the implements become increasingly a challenge to mount as they get heavier.

Get enough tractor, for sure; but do not get carried away with "bigger is better."

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
   / Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #47  
i don't recall saying that my JD was american made. i remember making the statement that John Deere is an American company, and the profits from the tractor sales come back to America, not back to Japan. it is everyone's preference on what they want to buy. I just try to buy as many things from American companies as possible. That's why I have two vehicles that are GMs and that's why I won't shop at Wal-Mart. They are about as un-american as they come.
No, but fact checking is important when flag waving. I am very dedicated to buying American made products, and will spend lots of time searching for USA made products, gladly spend extra money on them, or sometimes wait months (or years) to buy a particular used item when the only new options are from China or some other country I don't buy from if I can possibly help it. Sometimes (as in the case of compact tractors), there is no option that is mostly American made, so other factors creep into the equation (where are they assembled? Where are the attachments made? Where is the company headquartered?).

Nevertheless, bold statements such as claiming one should buy a John Deere because it is "American Made" must be refuted if they are patently false.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #48  
it is everyone's preference on what they want to buy. I just try to buy as many things from American companies as possible. That's why I have two vehicles that are GMs and that's why I won't shop at Wal-Mart. They are about as un-american as they come.

I heartily agree with that, and so do my GM vehicles. Especially the Wal-Mart part. :)

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #49  
i don't recall saying that my JD was american made. i remember making the statement that John Deere is an American company, and the profits from the tractor sales come back to America, not back to Japan.

Deere is a publicly owned company. Kubota is a publicly owned company. The owners of Deere stock and Kubota stock are disbursed all over the world.

Both firms manufacture product and provide employment in plants in may nations. To claim that Deere profits somehow are retained in the U.S.A. ( or Kubota profits return to Japan ) is not factual. The stocks traded on U.S. exchanges equal about 1/3 of world equity values and many of the stocks traded on said U.S. exchanges are also listed on stock exchanges outside the U.S.A. i.e.: Chrysler, owned by Fiat.

Kubota has two manufacturing/assembly plants in Georgia and a diesel engine plant in Illinois. I speculate some of those Illinois engines power tractors in Japan, Portugal, Belarus, Ecuador and Australia.

Deere and Kubota are supra-national, striving to serve their stock holders and other stake holders.

Through trade the effeciency and wealth of the world increase.

PS: I have friends employed in Toyota's plants in Georgetown, Kentucky.

Last edited:
   / Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #50  
Deere is a publicly owned company. Kubota is a publicly owned company. The owners of Deere stock and Kubota stock live all over the world.

Both firms manufacture product and provide employment in plants all over the world. To claim that Deere profits somehow are retained in the U.S.A. ( or Kubota profits return to Japan ) is not factual. The stocks traded on U.S. exchanges equal about 1/3 of world equity values and many of the stocks traded on said U.S. exchanges are also listed on foreign exchanges and are considered "foreign" companies, i.e.: Chrysler, owned by Fiat.

Kubota has two manufacturing/assembly plants in Georgia and a diesel engine plant in Illinois.

Through trade the wealth of the world increases.

But but but...they have a Japanese name, lets not forget that day of infamy when they attacked the Alamo and later sunk the USS Tightanus