Buying Advice Compact for new 43 acre wooded property

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property
Jeff . . . I actually looked at the B3300SU today. Thanks for the great pictures. They answered some of the questions I had about it being able to tow decent size timber out of the woods. Any regrets in not going with the bigger L3200? Certainly a substantial price difference.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #52  
Not really. A few times I have wished for more log lifting capacity with the FEL, but only a few times. And towing slowly with the dedicated log-skidding options is safer than carrying a too heavy load in the FEL, even with a counter-balancing implement on the 3-Point.

When using my KK Rotary Cutter I regret the B3300SU is not available with 3-Pt. 'position control', which is standard on the L-40 series. I use check chains to maintain a uniform cut and resent 5-10 minutes it takes to rig and adjust check chains after mounting mower and connecting PTO shaft. Lack of position control has only an been an issue with the rotary cutter.

I do not plow and I do not till. If I did much of these two ground engaging functions the additional 1,200+ pounds in the 'L' series might be money well spent.

It might be illuminating to calculate cost per pound of B3300SU package Vs. cost per pound of L3240 optioned identically to the B3300SU.

I recommend 'R-4' 'industrial' tires. Greater width of R-4's supports heavy loads on the FEL better plus 6 (?) ply construction less prone to flats in the woods. R-1 ag tires are fine for fields but R-4s for work in the woods.

I keep my tractor in my humidity controlled garage. I run the tractor over my St. Augustine lawn almost every day and the R-4s do not mark nor rut the dry or damp lawn.....important as you have mowing identified as a primary task.

Psychologists and marketers tell us : Anticipation is 50% of Satisfaction.

Take your time. Ponder everything before plunking down your money.

Log Skidding Link:

Norwood Log Hog Log Skidder Tractor Attachment, Model# 41255 Log Hog | Log Skidding| Northern Tool + Equipment

Dragging chain in video is NOT recommended.

Feel free to send me a Private Message with further questions pertaining to B3300SU.

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the advice so far. Particularly, Grandad4 was right on the mark. I bought a Gravely ZT HD 52 to do the mowing as I needed the right tool for the job and couldn't be happier. The "all in one" solution is just not the way to go. My only regret is not getting the 60 in deck and sacrificing a little on the trimming. I'm still in the market for the CUT and am now considering the Kubota L3800/4600 or something in the same size range. My woods is pretty tight with a mess of Honeysuckle I'd love to eradicate and I'd love to have a backhoe for pond maintenance, drainage tile and stump removal purposes.

Thanks again Grandad4 for the wise advise. Time is valuable, particularly with young children.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #54  
Went through a few of the posts JGoe. I would look at purchasing a used JD 990 or 1070 (4cyl) with loader. Alternative would be to find a used Kubota L 4400 (4cyl not a 3cyl like the new L3800 or L4600) with loader or a new MX4700/5100. I would not go any smaller than these tractors - you will over work the tractor. If you want something very nimble look at a 4120 like I have or a 4320 used with loader but pricey even used. Mahindra and Kioti make good compacts also - but their new prices are up there with the rest and finding a good used smaller machine is hard to find but not impossible. TYM also another good smaller machine brand. Stay away from smaller L machines or B series in the Kubota and smaller 3000 machines JD.
Go look at and price a 3616 Mahindra made by Mitsubishi (new machine). You might like it also but not as robust as the Deere and Kubotas I above recommended to you.
For used Deeres look at Machine Finder and Tractor house. Also Tractor House for the Kubotas. Lots of these good machines out there.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #55  
You'll have the time of your life working on your new place. It helps to make a general plan and timeline for how you're going to develop your place (subject to adjustment along the way, of course), so you have benchmarks for your progress.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction with the tractor shopping. We found a toothbar on the FEL bucket does a real number on brush and vines at our place (we had multiflora), with some spraying as well. All the bad stuff is gone now and anything that sneaks back is easily dispatched. There are other even fancier attachments for the FEL that probably work even better.

Best wishes,

It seems like each time each time a read a thread on here I consider a bigger piece of equipment. I know the experience on this forum is invaluable, but I want to make sure I'm not limiting myself in the woods if I get into something as large as the MX5100. My woods is tight, but I'd love to thin it out and eradicate the honeysuckle to revive it. I also have about 17 acres of reed canary grass that is an absolute mess that I want to get rid of. I've got my state DNR guy working on a conservation plan, but I'm always a little nervous getting in bed with the govt. Any thought from folks using a CUT in wooded areas for trails, skidding timber as well as doing FEL work in other areas? Thanks again.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #57  
I wonder about the skidding timber necessity. If you are cutting for firewood, there is really no reason to skid the logs, just cut them to stove lengths where they fall and use your tractor bucket like a power wheelbarrow. If you want to bring the logs to a sawmill for making boards, then you would need to skid them.

For access in a tight woods, plan your harvest to create pathways, selectively cutting the worst and ugliest trees for firewood. Given time, you will develop a running inventory of trees to be cut in your head.

A good tree, healthy crown with a straight stem, is one that has the genetics to take advantage of a good growing site or conditions. Those trees are the ones you want to keep as seed producers. If part of your goal is wildlife conservation, then paying attention to species that are good food sources is important too. White oak, for example is a premier tree for deer.

I think you can do what you need to do with a 40-50 hp tractor. I've done a lot of those things with my 40 hp NH Boomer. That size class is a reasonable trade-off between costs and the ability to do what you want to do.

It's good to keep in mind that tractors are primarily designed for field and barn work, not woods and excavation work. Tractors will do those things, but not as well or as long as machines designed for those purposes will. The advantage of a larger, heavier tractor is it will take more punishment and you won't be working it to within an inch of, or beyond, its capabilities.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #58  
Our primary tractor is the size of an MX5100 and we've done quite a bit of tree removal with it. The issue for us was selective tree removal instead of clear- cutting. I bought a logging winch for that purpose, and find it increases productivity by an order of magnitude because the 260 ft. of cable virtually eliminates having to get the tractor off the trail in order to pull out the timber. It's an expensive attachment, but does not depreciate and I expect to sell it for close to original price when we're done with it. Don't know if that is something for you to consider, but thought it worth mentioning.

/ Compact for new 43 acre wooded property #59  
I'm kinda surprised that no one has mentioned the Kubota TLB line-up. They're super rugged, compact and nimble and will work with any 3pt implements that have been mentioned for the CUT's.

And... they're construction grade! Working in the woods is very, very hard on equipment. I'd put the L39 up against any of the tractors listed and long-term you'd probably buy 2 of 'em for the same hours worked.

AKfish

I really don't have any reason to skid as I'm only removing timber for a wood stove. My only reason to do so was to avoid the bush honeysuckle that has taken over my woods. I think a TLB package in the 40 hp range is what I need. I'd been shopping for something without the backhoe but feel like I'll regret it later with drainage and stump removal to take care of.