Comparing the B2910 to the L3130

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #1  

Rolando

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat High Flow Turbo C-series
Ok, I'm still concerned about the loader capacity of the BX23, so I have been looking at the B2910 since it looked like a somewhat smaller version of the L3130. But then I looked at the MSRP for the two models and the B2910 is only $90 less than the L3130!

Could someone give me some insight on what the benefit of choosing the 2910 over the 3130 would be for such a small reduction in price? The 2910 is smaller, although only 16 inches shorter and 6 inches narrower. But you lose about half the weight and a third of the hydraulic pressure. It seems like you get so much more capacity with the L3130 for such little more money.

I've put some of the stats I was interested in for the two models in the attached file (if I did it right), using the loaders I would pick. I think I got the price for the LA402 right, I got it on some web site. Does anybody know what the list price is for the smaller backhoe available for the 2910, the B4672?

Thanks,
Rolando

Attachments

• 494989-3130 Compare.pdf
    23.7 KB · Views: 584
   / Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #2  
These are really 2 different beasts designed for different types of work. The B2910 seems to be well suited to the small property owner who is doing landscape type work, mowing the lawn, etc. The L3130 is a brute in comparison to the the B2910 capable of significantly heavier work with the 723 loader that is a virtual monster in comparison to the rather anemic 402 on the B2910.

Your profile shows that you have 5 acres, and while I don't know what you are planning on doing on those 5 acres, the B2910 is on the large size for that size piece of land (IN MY OPINION) but if you are pulling logs on your land, then the L3130 is probably better suited to the task. So it really boils down to the tasks. I like the B2910 and have used it extensively, it has never let me down but I am very critical of the loader strength (especially after buying a smaller N.H. with a stronger loader). If you have clay soil and are mowing the lawn with the B2910 you will be very pleased becuase it is light for its size and won't easily rut the yard when the soil is moist. Bear in mind that the specs you attached show sizes without the loaders attached, the B2910 with a loader is about 13.5 feet long and 5' wide (bucket width). I have places on my property where I can't get it down some of the paths or work between the trees so again, while the tractor is not that large, it can be too big in some cases.

Take a really hard look at the jobs you will need to accomplish and then match up the machine to accomplish the task. You may end up looking at the BX23 and realizing that it is much more capable than you expected.

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130
But why would the prices be so close when the capabilities are so disparate?

My 5 acres are all sand, no rocks and very flat. It is wooded with small hardwoods (mostly less than 8 inches). My dilemma is that I want to be able to immediately clear just enough for the house I'm building, then selectively clear the balance over a year or two. During the construction, I would want to be able to use a pallet fork and move dirt and grade. In the long term, with just lawn care and maintenance, a BX23 would definitely be the ticket, but I worry about the capability of its loader during construction and clearing.

I would like to avoid ending up with two machines (one just for mowing), and an initial rental for the heavy work is not really an option, since I was thinking of a period of a year or two, not a weekend or a week to clear the property. Hence my reluctance for both the L3130 and the BX23. While the B2910 is somewhat in between, it seems so expensive compared to the capabilities of the 3130. And I want the cruise control and some of the other features that I would loose if I went with less than the 2910. Maybe that's why Kubota prices it so high . . .

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #4  
Rolando
<font color="blue"> B2910 is only $90 less than the L3130 </font>
Are you comparing list price for the L3130 HST. I believe the price difference is about $1000 for the HST model.
<font color="blue">smaller backhoe available for the 2910, the B4672? </font>
Current price difference that I have seen is about $500 over the B4690.

Now that I have a dedicated mower for mowing. I think I would have been better off with the L3130. Because of the added loader capacity.
I have had to move pallets around with my 402 loader. Being limited to about 900 pounds means I can never move a full pallet of paver stone or other items. I have found most delivered pallets of stone, bricks and etc. weigh over 2000 pounds. The L3130 will not lift the weight either.

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #5  
Ronjhall said: <font color="red"> I have found most delivered pallets of stone, bricks and etc. weigh over 2000 pounds. The L3130 will not lift the weight either. </font> Ron is absolutely correct about tractors NOT being able to lift pallets of brick and stone. This summer I had 3/4rds of a pallet of bluestone in the back of one of my trucks, it tipped the scale at nearly 3000# (I paid for it by the pound /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif), full pallets weighed between 3500 & 4000#. I don't know of any CUT in any size that Rolando would consider that will lift anything close to that.

<font color="blue"> I would like to avoid ending up with two machines (one just for mowing). . . While the B2910 is somewhat in between, it seems so expensive compared to the capabilities of the 3130. And I want the cruise control and some of the other features. </font> Perhaps you are shopping the wrong brand? Consider that many tractors are built differently, you may be looking at the wrong type of machine? The B2910 is a ladder frame machine which is why it is light. Now I am not recommending the Kioti CK30, but it is much closer to the L3130 in construction and has most/all of the features you see on the B2910, the CK30's loader is superior to the B2910 but does not compare to the 723 loader of the L3130. The New Holland tractors, perhaps the TC29DA might be good fits, they are moderately heavy (not as heavy as a Kioti, but heavier than a Kubota) and the TC29 has more loader capabilities than the Kioti CK30. The TC29DA is a full featured machine with the whistles & bells you are looking at. Although I am not sure you will need the cruise control very often, especially on a 5 acre wooded lot.

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #6  
Rolando,

I can see from your different posts that you are reallyl getting into figuring out what your options are! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

You have gotten a lot of great advice. It is a tough call. You probably won't know if you got it right until months after you make your decision.

Price per pound of tractor is a good question and something many of us have just learned to take for granted I think. I don't think it is limited to any color, they all see to offer more tractor for dollar, the larger you go in size.

The L series Kubota seems a little on the large size to be a great finish mower. I am sure that size tractor mows a lot of grass for some people, so it would cut you yard too, if you don't have a lot of trees and other things to cut around and low brances to cut under.

Would I trade my B2910 in on a L series for use on my 3.7 acres? No, I would not. If I could turn the clock back, and buy a 3130 in place of my B2910, knowing that in the future I would also have a BX2200 to go with it, would I? I might...but I am not sure. My B2910 is a good worker and being small, is able to get around and between things better than the larger tractor would.

I have done a lot of work with the B2910, but there is a limit to what you can do on 4, 5 or even 10 acres really. As you get most of it done you find less need for the larger tractor and more uses for a smaller tractor.

Whenever tractor size questions come up, I always think of my neighbor. For as long as I have known him (about 25 years) he has has a International 454, which is a 38 PTO HP tractor. Rather on the large size...on 4.5 acres. For the last ten or more years he also has had a smaller JD garden tractor...works for him.

But I also see him on the JD most of the time...

By the way, on paper the difference between the L3130 and B2910 may only be a few inches, but side by side it sure seems like more! On the other hand, whatever you end up with will seem to shrink the more you use it...

Tough call...

I see your and Ronjhall's point about lifting masonry and stone pallets, but that's not too much of a drawback during the construction since the delivery trucks will have their on fork lifts to place the materials around the work site. Lumber and other materials tend to be what needs to be moved around after delivery and they're not in the same weight class.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the other brands. I've stuck with the Kubotas because it seemed they have a great reliability record, which is pretty high on my priorities since I am very mechanically retarded. It's kind of ironic since my father was a heavy machinery mechanical engineer (sugar mills). I guess sometimes it just doesn't get passed on.

Are the Kioti and New Holland tractors as reliable as the Kubotas?

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #8  
Rolando:

If you are going to be clearing palmettos, then get the biggest you can afford! I have an L4330 with LA853 and BH-90 and palmettos can bring my 7,000lb machine to a dead stop. I have seen palmettos stop a full size cat loader! I end up using the edge of the root rake to pop them out, and have spent 10 hours working on a 100x100 area with dense palmettos. For land clearing you may even consider paying someone with a big machine and then using your tractor for the cleanup and site work... Although, if you enjoy seat time, then it's a personal decision.

Good luck,

Joe

/ Comparing the B2910 to the L3130 #9  
<font color="green"> Are the Kioti and New Holland tractors as reliable as the Kubotas? </font>

Kioti has been around for a while, they are marketed in other parts of the world as DAEDONG tractors. Are they AS reliable. . . the CK certainly is a new design so there is no track record.

New Holland sells more farm equipment than any other manufacturer in the world. The TC29 is a very solid proven design, it has been around for several years and has proven itself. I think the difference in reliability is negligable between the NH and the Kubota. I believe the same could be said about John Deere in terms of reliability, and they are also heavier than the similar size Kubotas, but I like the NH loaders much better because of the visibility their design provides. There are reasons that Kubota, John Deere & New Holland are the Big 3, and part of it is rock solid reliability (but any brand can make a lemon or two, they are just rare).

I appreciate the info, Joe. Thankfully I only have a few parmetto bushes, no palmetto trees, and they are at the perimeter on the lot, so I won't have to do much about them.