Comparing tractor engines and HP

/ Comparing tractor engines and HP #1  

sparkyjohn

Tractor
Kioti CX2510
First off, i have a Kioti CX2510 for my big work. As for my yard, I mow about 2 acres maybe less. I have a Gravely zero turn 48" cut that does just fine. I like to keep that just for mowing. I have a Cub Cadet 21hp and 46" cut for back up, mowing thru the woods and hauling, moving and leave clean up. My tree's are now getting big and i need a leave vac. I have my eye on a Cyclone XL. My Cub is old and failing fast so i need a new mower. I like the new Cub 23hp with 50" deck. I also have a chance to buy a perfect J.D. 316 and that is 16hp. Am i comparing apples to apples? The JD weighs over a 100lb more than the Cub as its a real garden tractor but i feel like the JD is still stronger when pulling extra weight like the vac will be. Should i go for the most HP, is that is simple as it gets?

/ Comparing tractor engines and HP #2  
The JD 316 is a Onan engine I believe. Parts are very expensive if it breaks. I have a Steiner 420 with the 20hp version and the advantage of Onan was their torque was very high compared to others in a similar hp range. As for the leaves, I just run the Simplicity Citation ZTR over them and grind them in place. I have a blower for the STeiner that is awesome but you still have to do something with them once blown around. I found it's easier to just grind them up in place and into dust again for the soil (does induce some problems but long term it's not an issue). Ashes to ashes and leaves back to soil.

/ Comparing tractor engines and HP #3  
Forget all that. Mulch in your leaves every few days in the height of the season. It adds nutrients back to the soil, where they came from. In mid spring when the grass really starts to grow you wont even see the leaf bits.

/ Comparing tractor engines and HP
I wish i could but i would have leave clippings 2 feet deep and i have a pond near by and keeping leaves out is very important so they got to go. I plan on buying a Cyclone Rake XL and want to be sure i get a rider big enough for a load of wet leaves.

/ Comparing tractor engines and HP #5  
You would be suprised how little leaf is left when you mulch with a high blade tip speed mower. I dont believe any rider( wirh out checking every spec) is going to be fast enough.

To awnser your question I dont see how a heavy trailer wouldnt beable to be pulled by a 16hp tractor. The only limiting factor really should be traction.

Last edited:
You would be suprised how little leaf is left when you mulch with a high blade tip speed mower. I dont believe any rider( wirh out checking every spec) is going to be fast enough.
I tried mulching a couple times in the past, when the tree's were smaller with my Gravely ZT2148. Mulching at 18,500 rpm still left a mess so now that the tree's are much larger i just don't see it working. Not aware of any mower faster then that.

/ Comparing tractor engines and HP #7  
All depends on how much you want to spend and how soon. 16hp vs 21 vs 23hp. Yes, the 16hp is probably way underpowered vs a 23hp. And a supposed 100 pound more to drag around is that much less pulling that leaf vac. If it were me, I'd get the leaf vac and use your current mower and then replace the current mower with something as large as it is. I'd stay a long way from the 16hp JD unless it is really cheap.....

All depends on how much you want to spend and how soon. 16hp vs 21 vs 23hp. Yes, the 16hp is probably way underpowered vs a 23hp. And a supposed 100 pound more to drag around is that much less pulling that leaf vac. If it were me, I'd get the leaf vac and use your current mower and then replace the current mower with something as large as it is. I'd stay a long way from the 16hp JD unless it is really cheap.....
That's what i will do. I ordered the leaf rake today. We will see how it does.