Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #1  
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
I am new to the forum and new to tractoring. I purchase a Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Diesel and am now looking for a PTO snowblower (we get a lot of snow in Temiscaming, Quebec). I have some questions about size of snowblower and compatibility of the PTO. I am looking at a snowblower that was on a Massey Ferguson 35. Would my 135 be able to use the same PTO shaft as the one that was on the 35. Another words will this be a plug and play. Also what is the best size blower for my tractor 6ft blower ??

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #2  
I'm presently rebuilding and modifying a snowblower (front to three point rear), and thus have been doing research. I was very well assisted with wisdom from staff at Bercomac. I recommend that you inquire with them, they really know about snowblowers!

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #3  
I am new to the forum and new to tractoring. I purchase a Massey Ferguson 135 Perkins Diesel and am now looking for a PTO snowblower (we get a lot of snow in Temiscaming, Quebec). I have some questions about size of snowblower and compatibility of the PTO. I am looking at a snowblower that was on a Massey Ferguson 35. Would my 135 be able to use the same PTO shaft as the one that was on the 35. Another words will this be a plug and play. Also what is the best size blower for my tractor 6ft blower ??

Bonjour Mon Voisin au nord,

What you need to be concerned about is how wide the snow blower is and whether it has wings
that are wide enough to cover the wheel width of that Beautiful Massey Ferguson 135.
If the rear tires are not loaded with liquid ballast it will be harder to clear snow especially if there
is ice under the snow pack.

The smaller mules and PTO implements built and sold on this side of the planet use a 540 RPM
6 spline stub shaft so no worries there.

Buying a used rear mount snow blower is a crap shoot as far as reliability goes and how hard it
was used as many people tend to really abuse them.

If you can afford a new one you will be better off preferably with no wings to be built with a wide
enough frame to cover the wheel tracks which is a must as the tractor will be working harder to
clear snow if it is not wide enough and you will become extremely frustrated with snow clearing
as you are new to this.

If you can afford a new snow caster I would suggest that you invest in it as you will be able to
upgrade your Massey 135 mule to a larger frame size like the Massey 165 or 175 in the future
as it will be wide enough to cover thier wheel widths.

If you invest in a new 6 foot Pronovost Puma you will be able to use it efficiently and the added
benefit is that once you take your first pass down the lane to the end you can take half cuts
and travel at a faster pace and cast the snow as far or farther than you did on the first pass.

No worries, it is much more important to have the fuel system prepared for the coming brutal winter months.
It is very important to use a diesel fuel treatment like Heet and or SeaFoam in your fuel and check your fuel
bowl every day for water.

Later on you may want to buy a better fuel filter for your 135 and I can suggest a RACOR centrifugal fuel filter
from my 30 plus years of using them as they will clean the diesel fuel down to 2 micron in filtration and the bowl base
has a centrifugal flow pattern to help settle out water and very large dirt dirt particles. They can very easily be moved
to a new machine when you trade up to a bigger machine too.

I use a kerosene fired salamander/space heater to warm up all my equipment and melt off all the ice and snow
before I use it and when I am done with it to help get rid of the salt that sticks to it.

The Perkins indirect injection diesel engines on these beautiful machines are a joy to use and maintain and as long
as you keep the fuel tank full and bleeding them free of air after changing fuel filters is easy once you know how to
do it.

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower
I'm presently rebuilding and modifying a snowblower (front to three point rear), and thus have been doing research. I was very well assisted with wisdom from staff at Bercomac. I recommend that you inquire with them, they really know about snowblowers!
Thank You for your reply. I will look them up and contact them with my questions. Cheers

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #5  
As far as width of snowblower is concerned, measure your rear wheel track - outside to outside -- and get a snowblower that's AT LEAST that wide. If TractorData is right, you're tractor is close to 64" wide so a 6' , 72" snowblower would be a good fit.

Both tractors are in the same HP range and the PTO splines will connect the same. You'll have to verify that the PTO shaft LENGTH is ok after you get it hooked up. (It should be.)

Bonjour Mon Voisin au nord,

What you need to be concerned about is how wide the snow blower is and whether it has wings
that are wide enough to cover the wheel width of that Beautiful Massey Ferguson 135.
If the rear tires are not loaded with liquid ballast it will be harder to clear snow especially if there
is ice under the snow pack.

The smaller mules and PTO implements built and sold on this side of the planet use a 540 RPM
6 spline stub shaft so no worries there.

Buying a used rear mount snow blower is a crap shoot as far as reliability goes and how hard it
was used as many people tend to really abuse them.

If you can afford a new one you will be better off preferably with no wings to be built with a wide
enough frame to cover the wheel tracks which is a must as the tractor will be working harder to
clear snow if it is not wide enough and you will become extremely frustrated with snow clearing
as you are new to this.

If you can afford a new snow caster I would suggest that you invest in it as you will be able to
upgrade your Massey 135 mule to a larger frame size like the Massey 165 or 175 in the future
as it will be wide enough to cover thier wheel widths.

If you invest in a new 6 foot Pronovost Puma you will be able to use it efficiently and the added
benefit is that once you take your first pass down the lane to the end you can take half cuts
and travel at a faster pace and cast the snow as far or farther than you did on the first pass.

No worries, it is much more important to have the fuel system prepared for the coming brutal winter months.
It is very important to use a diesel fuel treatment like Heet and or SeaFoam in your fuel and check your fuel
bowl every day for water.

Later on you may want to buy a better fuel filter for your 135 and I can suggest a RACOR centrifugal fuel filter
from my 30 plus years of using them as they will clean the diesel fuel down to 2 micron in filtration and the bowl base
has a centrifugal flow pattern to help settle out water and very large dirt dirt particles. They can very easily be moved
to a new machine when you trade up to a bigger machine too.

I use a kerosene fired salamander/space heater to warm up all my equipment and melt off all the ice and snow
before I use it and when I am done with it to help get rid of the salt that sticks to it.

The Perkins indirect injection diesel engines on these beautiful machines are a joy to use and maintain and as long
as you keep the fuel tank full and bleeding them free of air after changing fuel filters is easy once you know how to
do it.
Wow, lots of great information, very much appreciated. I am new to the tractor world and am learning as I go. I traded in my Harley and the subdivision life for life in the country (2 acres on a lake). I definitely will consider a new snowblower but always look for a good used one. I do have some type of heater (not sure what it is called) it is connected to the lower rad hose and reconnects to the flow from the radiator. I was advised by the seller to plug it in for 15 min before winter starting. I can tell you it heats up very fast. I have replaced some O rings in my hydraulic diverter valve and will be replacing a leaking rad hose, other than that no issues at all. The Massey that I purchased is the UK model.

As far as width of snowblower is concerned, measure your rear wheel track - outside to outside -- and get a snowblower that's AT LEAST that wide. If TractorData is right, you're tractor is close to 64" wide so a 6' , 72" snowblower would be a good fit.

Both tractors are in the same HP range and the PTO splines will connect the same. You'll have to verify that the PTO shaft LENGTH is ok after you get it hooked up. (It should be.)
Like I said I am very new to the tractor world and figured the best place to go is to the people that have the experience. Your comments and advise are very much appreciated. Cheers

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #8  
A MF 35 and a 135 is mostly the exact same tractor except the bonnet, the switch from 35 to 135 was between 1964 and 1965 for UK production.

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #9  
The 135 has 47hp and the 35 around 40 when we talk about the AD3-152 vs the A3-152, direct vs indirect injection.

/ Compatibility Massey 35 and 135 PTO operating the same snowblower #10  
Wow, lots of great information, very much appreciated. I am new to the tractor world and am learning as I go. I traded in my Harley and the subdivision life for life in the country (2 acres on a lake). I definitely will consider a new snowblower but always look for a good used one. I do have some type of heater (not sure what it is called) it is connected to the lower rad hose and reconnects to the flow from the radiator. I was advised by the seller to plug it in for 15 min before winter starting. I can tell you it heats up very fast. I have replaced some O rings in my hydraulic diverter valve and will be replacing a leaking rad hose, other than that no issues at all. The Massey that I purchased is the UK model.

My dear friend you are blessed with what is referred to as a Block Heater and they are the C'est le fun.

As you have 2 acres on a lake front property is it safe to assume you have a cottage with a steep driveway?
We have many of those on Cayuga Lake.

How much driveway will you need to clear?? are you sharing a private road with many neighbors that would require
a 2 stage snow caster that large???

For the comparison money/Canadian Loonies you may be looking spending it would be well worth your while
to consider a Yamaha 1028JA tracked snow blower (60 tons per hour) for snow removal for $5,099.00 Can.,
or its bigger brother the 1332ED $6699.00 as it has steering brakes and it will clear 76 tons of snow per hour.

Leon