Tractor Sizing Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!!

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #1  

kgann

Tractor
none
We have 20 acres. Approximately 5 acres is bush hogged. The rest is either woods, sand, gravel, or lake (two lakes). We are looking to purchase a Mahindra and, the more we look and talk with dealers, the more confused we get as to what we really need. Don't want to under buy, or over buy for that matter. I've had advice from 30 Hp needed to 45 Hp needed. I'm simply looking for a tractor to bush hog the 5 acres (I already have a 5ft bush hog) and to haul around small loads of sand, gravel, etc. I had one dealer tell me I needed the 1533 and another told me I needed the 4025! Big difference in hp. So, what HP do you need to do the things I want to do. I definitely want 4wd since some of it gets wet and I certainly don't want to get stuck. And a front loader. But other than those two things I'm completely lost. HELP!!!! :confused3:

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #2  
You will need about 25 HP at the PTO to run a 5 ft. cutter. Rule of thumb is 5 HP per ft. of cutter. That is PTO HP which is less than the rated engine HP.

You also need to know that the tractor you select has 3-point lift capacity to raise the cutter.

Good luck with whatever you select.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #3  
I had one dealer tell me I needed the 1533

this is the dealer to use as he is 100% correct. It will do just what you want. Not to big, nor too small. It has excellent loader and 3pt capacities.

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #4  
My first"modern" tractor was HST,FEL,4WD,R1 tires and 32 HP and was perfect for 5ft.implements.I only traded up to get a cab.

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #5  
We used to have a Kubota B2710 which was 27 HP and had 20 HP at the PTO. It would run a 5 ft Bush Hog Brand cutter but I thought it was a few HP short.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #6  
I had a Mahindra 2615HST and it ran a 3 pt. 5' rotary mower without any problem. Id say anything between 25-30 HP would be more than enough for the tasks you mention.
I sold the 2615 to upgrade to an LS cab model tractor.

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #8  
I had a 32 hp for 3 yrs on 6 acres but I was doing log stuff, several hundred dirt loads, etc. and lifting for my shop. It did everything I needed about 95% of the time. BUT I wanted 100% so I went to a 50, that's just me though.

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #9  
I ran a 5 foot brush cutter for years with a Ford 9N which was way under powered. When I bought my Deere 790 the difference in operation was astounding. First gear in low range I could cut through just about anything and that was rated about 22-24? pto hp. I went up to the 1538 this year and am continually amazed at the difference in the amount of work it can do. Between the increased hp and weight of the tractor I'm moving more soil, lifting more weight than I would have imagined doing with the 790 and physically it is not a whole lot larger. as Deere Dude stated, hardly anyone wishes that they would have gotten a smaller tractor. And by the way the 1533 and 1538 are identical except for hp, why not go bigger? I don't think that you will be sorry.

/ Completely confused, trying to buy 1st tractor!! #10  
I have a b2650 with 19.5 pto hp and run a 5 ft. med. duty r/c with no problem cutting grass . If your ground isn't real rough the smaller size tractor is fine , if it is rough you won't get the best ride with small tires etc. . Bigger can be better in many ways but not always necessary . If I were to mow 5 acres of some of my ground it would be a very rough ride with 2650 but a breeze with the M5700 . I have both , some rough ground and some not so rough . I mow about 35 acres and do most of it with the M5700 as it is much faster and much more comfortable . There is about an acre or two around the house and garden area I do with the 2650 just fine .