Compression tubing

/ Compression tubing #11  
I have the wound spring benders. Used one on 1/2" copper a couple of weeks ago and still kinked the tubing by trying to get it too tight. Looking in to one of the brake line type benders, but even those have a maximum radius.

/ Compression tubing #12  
I am trying to get the compressor running but this piece is bent and leaking and I have to replace it.
Can you cut it at the bent spot and use a compression union? Maybe drive a punch inside it and straighten the tubing enough to get the union on?

/ Compression tubing #13  
Small quantities of tubing or rod are easiest to find online. If you have a caliper, you can order an exact match.

/ Compression tubing #15  
I can say that for my compressor, the original tubing was hardened, not soft tubing. The original tubing got extremely warm, warm enough to have the copper change color. That makes me wonder about the longevity, and wisdom, of repairing the copper line rather than replacing it. FWIW: The copper line is available as a part for many compressors.

Personally, after fence sitting for a bit, I bought a name brand used die type tubing bender online as good ones were $$$ new. I didn't have much faith in my ability to get good angles using a spring bender for multiple sequential bends in 1/2"OD tubing. I wanted to build an intercooler for my compressor to reduce the amount of water going into the main tank. It works great, removing 95+% of the water, and some of the oil.

All the best,

Peter

/ Compression tubing
Back in the day when we were building windsurfing gear we used sand to bend aluminum tubing, it worked reasonably well however the bend was very slight, more like an arch.

Anyway, got a piece of tubing from ebay and the compressor is running again. Love it. Two stage is so quiet. I added a ball valve and hooked it up to my air line system in the shop. Picture is not mine, found it on the internet.

Attachments

• f3abd48c9ae.jpg
    f3abd48c9ae.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 36