Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #1  

beeser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2040
I just took delivery of a new Bobcat CT2040. While going up my somewhat long and steep driveway it bogged down to a standstill in high range. Shifting to medium moved the tractor along at a reasonable pace but seemed strained. Low range is extremely slow and not much good for getting from one place to another. It was in 4WD with about 1/3 throttle. There were no attachments on the tractor except for the front end loader. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? The John Deere 855 that I had before was much quicker and seemed to perform much better under the same circumstances with almost half the horsepower.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #2  
Normal. Bump up the RPM's to 1700 to 2000. HST needs some power to work, remember the engine has to be throttled up for it to pump the fluid. High range up a hill might not work out, if you start to bog let off the go pedal for more power, if you keep it hammered down it will bog / slow down.

Your 855 was a two range so the low in it was a little taller than the low in your new one and the high had more power since it had a little lower range on it's bottom in end. The middle range in a 3 range HST is where you can stay a good bit of the time. It has some grunt but at its high end it's fast enough to get around pretty well. Consider the high range in a 3 range a "road gear" and it's really only good for transport speeds on relatively flat ground. Do try your high range on your long drive to see if it will work, but this time bump up the throttle and let off the go pedal some on the up hill and see what it does.

Last edited:
   / Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #3  
I just took delivery of a new Bobcat CT2040. While going up my somewhat long and steep driveway it bogged down to a standstill in high range. Shifting to medium moved the tractor along at a reasonable pace but seemed strained. Low range is extremely slow and not much good for getting from one place to another. It was in 4WD with about 1/3 throttle. There were no attachments on the tractor except for the front end loader. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? The John Deere 855 that I had before was much quicker and seemed to perform much better under the same circumstances with almost half the horsepower.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #4  
Don’t know if it’s ‘normal’ but I can tell you mine is worthless in high. When I have the backhoe on it will barely move. I only use high when traveling fast on flats. I usually stick to medium in most cases.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #5  
i have the ct2025, and can use high on fields and modest hills with no problem, but i agree it engine needs to at least be at the ptoE setting (i think 1800) if not 2100. When doing heavy loader work i find that 2,000 is perfect; even slightly less reduces the lift strength and speed. It is hard to describe hills, but my typical transit from woods back to the house is a half mile field with at least a 20-30ft rise at the last portion. No problem in high.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #6  

Bobctat2035​

Don’t know if it’s ‘normal’ but I can tell you mine is worthless in high. When I have the backhoe on it will barely move.

You have a Backhoe. Do you have a cab or open station Bobcat/Kioti tractor?

Did you order the rear tires 'loaded' with fluid in addition to the Backhoe?

Bare weight of CT2035 is 3,400 pounds.
Backhoe 800 pounds? Loaded rear tires 600 pounds? FEL 1,200 pounds?

Last edited:
   / Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't aware of what Neil Messick describes in his video but experienced the same thing with my previous John Deere. I'll apply the above suggestions and see how it works out.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #8  
Congrats on your Bobcat tractor, yes for some that comes from traditional geared tractor or shuttle shift, HST is a little bit of an different animal.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #9  

Bobctat2035​

Don’t know if it’s ‘normal’ but I can tell you mine is worthless in high. When I have the backhoe on it will barely move.

You have a Backhoe. Do you have a cab or open station Bobcat/Kioti tractor?

Did you order the rear tires 'loaded' with fluid in addition to the Backhoe?

Bare weight of CT2035 is 3,400 pounds.
Backhoe 800 pounds? Loaded rear tires 600 pounds? FEL 1,200 pounds?
No cab no loaded tires. ‘Barely move’ might be a little extreme but it has a hard time getting going.

/ Concerned with new Bobcat CT2040 #10  
High on a three-range is really only meant for lightly loaded tractors moving fast on smooth flat roads.