Concrete barrel ballast box idea

/ Concrete barrel ballast box idea #11  
3. When we go on disaster relief, we install this tool box.

Attachments

• 0307170700a.jpg
    0307170700a.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 498
   / Concrete barrel ballast box idea
I like the ideas guys, thanks! I keep putting off buying a welder, it's getting time I invest in one though. Probably build my box though with no welding.

I do like the idea of putting the hitch off center towards the front to shift the weight back.

/ Concrete barrel ballast box idea #14  
I like the idea of using a carry all with a pallet of weighted material or just buy a box blade. The only advantage of a b. box to me is it is somewhat more compact. It might be a bit cheaper, bit it is a "One trick pony".

/ Concrete barrel ballast box idea #15  
I like the idea of using a carry all with a pallet of weighted material or just buy a box blade. The only advantage of a b. box to me is it is somewhat more compact. It might be a bit cheaper, bit it is a "One trick pony".

There are times when we like to have either our bush hog or our stump saw on the back, but when we are working with a chain saw disaster relief group, we wouldn't want anything but our barrel. If the rear wheels will miss any object, you probably don't have to worry about how short you are turning. It is going to miss. Between the barrel & my mirrors in the cab, we seldom ever have to look back. Working all day long with the grapple for a week or two at a time, in tight situations, it becomes very desirable.

/ Concrete barrel ballast box idea #16  
Here is one I built this year. Tips the scale between 1500 & 1600 pounds. Sounds like it's what you are looking for. Nothing is welded inside. It's all drilled and bolted together with all thread.

Just realized I have responded to you about ballast boxes in your tractor thread.:laughing:

DSCN2895.JPG
20170521_170648.jpg
20170526_131414.jpg
20170526_131445.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one I built this year. Tips the scale between 1500 & 1600 pounds. Sounds like it's what you are looking for. Nothing is welded inside. It's all drilled and bolted together with all thread.

Just realized I have responded to you about ballast boxes in your tractor thread.:laughing:

View attachment 522554View attachment 522551View attachment 522552View attachment 522553

Yes sir, that's awesome. I'm going to private message you with some questions later today.

/ Concrete barrel ballast box idea #18  
My 55 gallon drum is mostly filled with rocks with cement around them. I didn't bother putting any PVC pipe inside since I rarely use the weight with tools like a shovel. The lower pins are just ones from TSC with a piece of steel pipe connecting them together. I welded one of the nuts that came with the pin to each end of the pipe and screwed the draw pins in from the outside. The lower pins are pretty much centered. The top link mount is just made out of scrap steel and just welded to the drum. The top link is set shorter than the bottom so when lifted all the way up it tilts in but not enough to bother anything. I probably spent less than an hour on making it. most of it was cutting the top of the drum off.

If I was to do it again I might make something like Cat fever did but it wouldn't stick that far back. For me if I would rather use more cement and keep it close to the tractor for working around stuff than loose maneuverability. But I use mine for snow blowing in the winter where I want to back close to things and in the wood skidding trees.

/ Concrete barrel ballast box idea #19  
The good thing about building your own is designing it to fit your needs.

BMan (or anyone for that matter) needs to make a checklist of potential needs/uses, then make the Ballast box to fit those needs. Crazyal's needs are different than mine for sure.

Here is a shot of the main reason for my needing a ballast box, aside from the occasional dirt or gravel moving.

Hard to see the box, but it's back there.:)

DSCN2956.JPG

Cat fever, I went over to that thread and looked at how you constructed your box. That's pretty dang creative man and gave me a good base line on how to build mine. I'm going to still use a plastic 55 gal drum because I have one on hand, it'll be a permanent exterior mold, and I can leave the top several inches open to throw stuff in it. I'll definitely mold a chainsaw scabbard in it, a must since usually if I have that ballast on I'll be clearing place on our land. But this gave me something to go buy to put my 3 pt to the front of the ballast putting the weight farther back. I think you saw some of the stuff I was lifting in my other thread about the tractor, plus when I unload and stack round bales of hay it'll really keep the rear planted.