Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp?

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
This weekend's project is new front walk. Do I need the vibrating plate compactor? Manufacturer specs hand or power compaction. 75 sqaure feet total.

ideal concrete block

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #2  
When I worked for a paving company in college, many times we would need to hand tamp the asphalt in corners where the rollers wouldn't fit. I'd guess, on average, we'd have to hand tamp about 30 - 50 square feet.

I believe we used a 10 lb. tamper (memory may be off /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif). I can guarantee you that after 5 minutes of hand tamping with that thing, it felt like it weighed 100 lbs.! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I'd be using power compaction all the way. You still may need to do a little hand work in corners, but a simple square of plywood screwed to the bottom of a 2X4 or 2X6 will work easily for that.

Good luck....and have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #3  
Hi...

The machine will do a better job...

...but... a hand tamper will be just fine too... I've installed ~50' of brick sidewalk and (2) 14'x14' brick patios using a hand tamper... none have settled in ~8 years...

...just make sure the base is dug out deep enough... tamp the base material every ~3" in thickness...

Dave...

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #4  
In the time it'll take you to drive to the rental place, rent the plate compactor, etc. you can have 75 square feet hand tamped. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I use an 8" x 8" hand tamper I bought at Lowes.

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #5  
Hazmat,

I'd use the power machine. If you don't hand tamp it properly, after a period of time (most likely after a good rain storm) the sand will compact and the pavers will sink.

To me it's worth and time and $$ to do the job right the first time.

My three cents.

28Red /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #6  
hazmat,

Concrete pavers are great. I'm sure you will enjoy ther results of your efforts for years to come. We had a large paver patio and a smaller paver sitting area installed, and these were connected by a serpentine paver walkway. We used tumbled pavers from Pavestone, largely because they had a manufacturing facility near us in Phoenix, and they offered a "tumbling" service to take off the sharp edges, and give the stones a patina of old world appearance.

Our home builder, with whom we have become close friends, strongly advised us to select an installer who would pay careful attention to preparation of the base and proper mechanical compaction. This was based on his own less than satisfactory experience of hiring a contractor to do his patio. He had a whole bunch of popped pavers, wobbles, etc.

We hired someone who was recommended by Pavestone, and his crew used a plate compactor during the preparation of the base, and again after placement of the pavers. We used the patios and walkway nearly every day for 2 years before we relocated. We had monsoon rains, frost, and summer temps of 120 degrees, and not a single stone ever wobbled or popped or cracked. The tumbled cobblestone appearance and the professional installation definitely added value to our home when we sold it.

I imagine you might have more freeze thaw cycles in your geographic area, which itself is a strong reason to pay close attention to the base preparation and to the paver compaction. I'd suggest looking at the quite detailed Pavestone installation guide online. Even though you are using material from a different manufacturer, the installation is the same.

PAVESTONE Paver Installation

Good luck with your project

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #7  
When I was replacing some bricks in an old walk, I wanted to pack em down good so I took a small piece of plywood, layed it over the section and banged it down with my FEL bucket. The plywood should not be too large or you displace too much of the force.
Hand tamp what you can't reach that way. John

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp?
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like the consensus is to rent the machine. More Power (Insert Tim Allen grunts here). I've reserved the machine for saturday. Luckily the rental yard is only 15 min away.

Started digging out the old gravel walk last night - tough work, Can't get the tractor into the courtyard. Process was fill wheelbarrow, dump wheelbarrow into FEL bucket (it will hold 1.5 wheelbarrow loads). Run tractor to dump site.

I've been taking some pics & will post when the job is done.

/ Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #9  
I hope it comes out see-able ... but attached is the flagstone walk the wife and I did several weeks ago.... rent the machine! I only used it for an hour ... and my back thanked me the rest of the weekend. It did a much better job than I could've done by hand too.

Attachments

• 472603-walk1-1.jpg
    472603-walk1-1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,393
   / Concrete Paver walkway - vibrate or hand tamp? #10  
second view

Attachments

• 472609-walk4-1.jpg
    472609-walk4-1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,615