Cone wood splitters

/ Cone wood splitters #13  
I remember seeing ads for these over 50 years ago in Popular Science and Popular Mechanics. The ads would always be the same, showing either a pickup truck or a car with one wheel removed and the cone bolted in place. The vehicle would be on jack stands I suppose but I don't remember. Even as a kid I always thought that the things were crazy dangerous, and I engaged in plenty of risky behavior at the time.
All you had to do was support the wheel that was removed. I can remember seeing pictures of people using them with blocks under the axle, a bumper jack on one corner and all sorts of sketchy arrangements.

/ Cone wood splitters
The cone on the wheel is definitely sketchy - I can see someone falling into one right now - but a three point setup with a platform looks considerably safer, though still a far cry from a hydraulic log splitter.

I definitely appreciate that I'm the one holding the valve open while steadying the wood round; I still make a point of spreading my fingers to ensure they're free and won't get caught behind the round nor in a crack, but worst comes to worst if I feel pain and let go of the valve, the damage stops - though I may still be stuck until I retract the ram (whereupon the pain *really* starts in my experience, the pressure isn't good but it blocks much of the pain).

/ Cone wood splitters #17  
Forget those silly cone splitters and get something that is really dangerous...

I give the guy credit on the second example. He has it at head height.
If something happened, it would effect his least important body part.

/ Cone wood splitters #18  
I give the guy credit on the second example. He has it at head height.
If something happened, it would effect his least important body part.
Nothing like a good old spinning wheel of death and a loose rope hanging around.

YIKES!

/ Cone wood splitters #19  
It's also called screw type wood splitter.

Still used daily by several people around here. It's a very cheap alternative to the common wood splitter at around $400, however can be very very dangerous if attention is not being taken. It's very easy to get pulled and spin with it.

The one on the video is missing a very important part to make it 100 times safer. A simple wedged under the screw, welded to the table. This prevents the log from slipping and just rotate around.

I heard these weren't allowed to be sold anymore in my country, however I keep seeing them for sale in OLX, our Craigslist.

D_NQ_NP_709009-MLB31225339055_062019-O.jpg

I don’t have one but I would have no objections to using that splitter or even having hired help use it. That looks as safe as any other wood splitting device possibly safer. I don’t see much potential for amputation using that. Now using one of the wheel mounted ones with little or no anti spin measures is no doubt a death trap.

/ Cone wood splitters #20  
Years back someone came out with cone splitter you fasten to rear tire hub of vehicle...after you remove the tire. :oops: