Cone wood splitters

/ Cone wood splitters #23  
I don’t have one but I would have no objections to using that splitter or even having hired help use it. That looks as safe as any other wood splitting device possibly safer. I don’t see much potential for amputation using that. Now using one of the wheel mounted ones with little or no anti spin measures is no doubt a death trap.
The main issue is that the log will sometimes slip on the table and start spinning around, which can pull the operator's arm if he is not quick enough. This is also prevented by just weld a bar under the screw.

These style of splitter are often ran at idle, so the tractor can stall if something crazy is going to happen.

/ Cone wood splitters #24  
When I used to help a local farmer when I was young kid, we had one of these. I used it a couple times. I thought it was safe, but what I think is safe is totally different than most.

/ Cone wood splitters #27  
The second splitter with the big wheel and the rope is terrible. I wouldn't want to stand close to it, much less feed the logs while that thing bangs the logs. I hope they used a good welder to weld the cutter to the wheel. That is a OSHA dream.

/ Cone wood splitters #28  
The second splitter with the big wheel and the rope is terrible. I wouldn't want to stand close to it, much less feed the logs while that thing bangs the logs. I hope they used a good welder to weld the cutter to the wheel. That is a OSHA dream.

By comparison the first machine in that video almost looks safe to use... in an ideal world add a deadman and a reverser and it's not so bad. On the other hand that big wheel splitter scares the beejeebus out of me and I've knowingly done a good number of dumb and dangerous things in my life. It's literally looks like it should be featured in one of the old Faces of Death movies from the 80's.

/ Cone wood splitters #29  
That would be handy for splitting kindling if it worked half way decent.
The idea is good. It would take a heck of a drill or you may never get it out. Reminds me of when I was blasting my water line. I was using a 2" impact drill to drill blasting holes. I was using a SPS 30" drill bit. Got the bit stuck in the rock. I could not get it out. I decided to blast, thinking the rock would crack and I would find the bit laying on the ground. I never found that bit. That bit cost $100 - 30 years ago.
Remember the old 1/2 in drills. That may be what would be needed - if oak. Best Wishes, Larry

/ Cone wood splitters #30  
The idea is good. It would take a heck of a drill or you may never get it out. Reminds me of when I was blasting my water line. I was using a 2" impact drill to drill blasting holes. I was using a SPS 30" drill bit. Got the bit stuck in the rock. I could not get it out. I decided to blast, thinking the rock would crack and I would find the bit laying on the ground. I never found that bit. That bit cost $100 - 30 years ago.
Remember the old 1/2 in drills. That may be what would be needed - if oak. Best Wishes, Larry

I would never expect a hand drill screw to bust rounds into splits. If it could split splits into splinters I’d be happy.