Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
So we bought a BX2360 back in 2014 when we owned 5 acres of flat, river bottom. Since that purchase we moved to 11 acres that includes roughly 3 acres of landscaped "field" and 7 acres of woods. The BX has been a great little tractor, but have started to feel like it is a bit undersized for the property and the work I try to accomplish throughout the year. As a result, we are in the early stages of considering a larger Kubota tractor; specifically looking at a B, L2501, or LX TLB and possibly grapple.

Discussion on the merits of a TLB, tractor weight and ground clearance can be a discussion for another day. One of the primary reasons we are considering a larger tractor is the greater lift and volumetric capacity that may come with a loader on a larger size tractor. We move a pretty significant amount of tree/brush trimmings and mulch during the course of the year and I would very much like to consider reducing the number of trips to the mulch and brush pile.

Under different circumstances I would look at lift rating/heights and also compare bucket sizes Bx - 48", B/LX - 60" L2501 - 66" and kinda back of the napkin an understanding of how much more capacity the larger tractors might provide. Part of what is keeping me from accomplishing this is that, at least for mulch, we use a bucket expander from Bxpanded.... which confuses things.

Anyone willing to take a stab at helping me understand whether a 60" or 66" bucket on a larger tractor would make a significant difference as compared to a 48" bucket? My gut tells me that a 60" or 66" bucket would make a significant improvement over a 48" bucket for my purposes, but then I also have a bit of tractor fever trying to create a whole in my pocket.

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #2  
We enjoy our B26 as a multi-use machine. 54” grapple is used often. 60”HD gp bucket. Strong heavy duty tractor made for lifting yet compact. Landscaper’s dream. 4 post ROPS and canopy offers good operator protection. Many modifications to suit our use.

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #3  
I had an old IH2500b with a 3/4 cubic yard bucket.

I have a PowerTrac PT425 with a 10 cubic foot (a little more than 1/3 cubic yard) bucket and a 5 cubic foot bucket.

The little PT425 with the smaller bucket would run circles around the larger IH with the larger bucket when doing tasks like moving mulch, stone, and other loose materials because it is so fast and nimble.

The IH could squash the little PT425 like a bug because it was so large and strong.

You can’t really compare bucket widths without looking at depths and heights. You need to look at cubic displacement to see which one will carry more material is what I’m trying to say.

Then you need to see which machine can carry which bucket with X amount of weight, etc.

Anyhow, a bit to think about. Good luck in your search.

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #4  
We are in the early stages of considering a larger Kubota tractor; specifically looking at a B, L2501, or LX TLB and possibly grapple.

The leading reasons we are considering a larger tractor are the greater FEL lift and bucket capacity that come with a larger tractor. We move a significant amount of tree/brush trimmings and mulch during the course of the year. I want to reduce the number of trips to the mulch and brush pile.

If you opt for an SSQA bucket-to-FEL coupler on an L2501 you can change from a grapple to a Light Materials Bucket, standard Bucket or the L2296 Heavy-Duty, Round Back Bucket in two minutes per change. Four options.

We moved to 11 acres that includes 7 acres of woods.

The grapple is ideal for transporting brush and tree debris.

SSQA pallet forks are a relatively low cost, low complexity grapple alternative.

The Light Materials bucket is ideal for mulch, compost and fluffy snow, however not suitable for mounting a toothbar, or bucket spade. Light gauge bucket metal too prone to "smile". If your try to fill with Light Materials Bucket with dirt, your will run out of hydraulic lift capacity before the bucket is full, in many instances.

L2296 H-D, R-B Bucket has ample strength to mount toothbars and bucket spades. Also the heaviest option for back dragging with the bucket.

Standard bucket is the standard bucket.

Last edited:
   / Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #5  
If your property is flat and you have ample time, you may be satisfied with an L2501 on eleven acres. However, you are considering a tractor with minimum weight and minimum horsepower for eleven FLAT acres.

If your seven acre woodland has hills or is sloped, or if you intend to create and maintain trails in the woods, the L2501 will be too narrow and too light and therefore unstable, to operate SAFELY.

Tractor rear wheel/tire spread, sometimes adjustable, is a critical factor increasing compact tractor stability working sloped or uneven ground. Rear axle is the tractor component on which rear wheels/tires mount. A 6" to 10" wider rear axle substantially decreases tractor rollover potential. Tractor width is an approximation of rear axle width.

Larger wheels and tires provide more tractive power pulling ground contact implements and logs, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris yielding higher operating speed with less implement and operator perturbation.

Rather than a 2,700 pound bare weight L2501 with moderate size wheels, consider a 3,700 pound bare weight Kubota MX with much larger wheels, which are also adjustable for spread.

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification. Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

T-B-N ARCHIVE:
tractor for ten hilly sloped acres site:tractorbynet.com

Last edited:
   / Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #6  
I second Smokeydog's assessment. When compared to other compact tractors, the B26TLB is a tougher machine built more for commercial than residential work. It's nimble when working in wooded, close quartered areas, and has a larger hydraulic pump for smoother B/H operation. The B/H provides an ample and adjustable counterweight on the rear for any FEL scenario without having to load the rears. The FEL comes setup with quick attach and will lift 1K lbs. in the standard 60 in. bullet proof bucket.
Yes, get the bigger bucket/grapple, and if you're going to seriously use and sometimes abuse the machine, the B26TLB is hard to beat.

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #7  
I don't know if a Grand L is on your radar but the features of HST+, the dual speed, ability to set HST response, and the auto throttle - are really nice when you're doing a lot of loader work. The throttle up button on the joystick is great too, especially if you're using auto throttle to keep the noise down. Really, the only downside I've experienced with my GL4060 is the standard suspension seat is terrible IMO and, at times I wish the loader had more lift capacity (I have the LA805).

Got an air ride seat on the way...nothing I can do about lift capacity except trade-up :unsure:

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #8  
With a 3-range HST on an L2501 your top speed will be approximately 12-mph, twice the top speed of a BX with its 2-range HST transmission.
Sorry my BX tops out at 11 mph in high. Actually my biggest complaint about the bigger tractor, does not want to work in high (BX does) but then you have shift to get somewhere because Medium is slow.

/ Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #9  
Sorry my BX tops out at 11 mph in high.
Reviewing Kubota specs, I see BX top speed is listed as 8.4-mph WITH TURF TIRES. Larger diameter wheels/tires would increase top speed. My bad.

I edited out the controversial paragraph.

Last edited:
   / Considering Upgrading.... Looking for the Goldilock's Bucket Size #10  
To help you "understand the differences" you need to focus on what task you are trying to achieve rather than comparing the size of the buckets.

Are you trying to move cubic yards of dirt a day? Gravel? Mulch? Pallets of sod? Armourstone? Cords of wood or logs? How far? How fast do you need to do it i.e. how much time does it take? How many dollars a ton does it cost you to move stuff now?

If you are simply moving a little bit of dirt around your garden, you are retired and have all day to do it then your bucket size doesn't really matter other than whatever floats your boat and how much time you want to spend and how much money it costs to do it doesn't really matter. 10 trips with a 66 inch bucket or 12 trips with a 48 inch bucket doesn't really amount to much difference at the end of the day.

If you are using your machine as a "pay loader" then the machine needs to earn its keep, time is money, fuel costs money, dollars a ton counts. In this case none of your desired machines will cut the cheese and you would probably be looking at a skidsteer or CTL that can lift a 3,000 lbs pallets of sod from the back of a truck quickly, safely and get it to where you need it in the shortest amount of time possible.

Don't worry about the color of your hammer's handle when what you really want to do is shingle your roof.