Consumer Reports on Vehicle Manufacturs.

/ Consumer Reports on Vehicle Manufacturs. #31  
I find myself in the minority. I think that CR is a great resource. Are they without fault. I am sure they have plenty. I have bought quite a few things, over the years, using them as the primary information source. It has seldom failed me. I would not consider buying a major household item or specific auto without, at least giving it a look, and if they tell me to avoid it. I probably would. I use it a bit like a movie review. If I think I might like and they say they did as well. I feel pretty confident. If they say it stinks. It is the rare exception that they miss it. The ones that fall in the middle can go either way.
When it comes to a lot of things, you only get info on the item that is owned by the soul that you ask. They usually do not have experience with several different current models. That is where head to head comparison is what you need to see. If two models are close, or if one shines in a specific area that is most important to you, it matters. Information is power and the more you have, the better decision you can make. To throw out CR, and say it has no value at all, is not correct.

You can drink CR KoolAid or not, I don't care. Because you think it has value means nothing to me and my opinion means nothing to you, as a result. As pointed out above in the 1970 car report, CR's has consistently based their final opinions on who's best on THEIR parameters for who's best. In doing any kind of intelligent research on any subject, it's my opinion that their parameters or standards are NOT correct

/ Consumer Reports on Vehicle Manufacturs. #32  
...furthermore in response to the post about CR's saying they welcome ideas to make their findings more accurate: They are admitting they know that many people criticize their testing conclusions and that their testing may be flawed. That's quite a turnaround from the last issue of CR's that I bought in the late '70's where they put a disclaimer and, a threat, in the back of the issue. They threatened to sue anyone that criticised their results. They were being widely criticised, at the time, over their car ratings and testing methods. Imagine a magazine threating their readership and critics? Below the threat was an ad that they were looking for a manager for their auto testing team. What a pathetic joke, I never bought another copy and never will again.

/ Consumer Reports on Vehicle Manufacturs. #33  
I agree. CR ain't perfect, but what are the reasonable alternatives? I often read their rating criteria, compare it to my own and make my own decision, but I find it to be an excellent thought starter.

Actually, since the advent of the internet, there is a lot of information out there that never was. If one carefully goes through the nonsense out there, the real facts are there. I would agree if you want to use their basic information and other facts to make your decision, you will likely be OK. I completely do not trust THEIR conclusions, however.

/ Consumer Reports on Vehicle Manufacturs. #34  
Actually, since the advent of the internet, there is a lot of information out there that never was. If one carefully goes through the nonsense out there, the real facts are there. I would agree if you want to use their basic information and other facts to make your decision, you will likely be OK. I completely do not trust THEIR conclusions, however.

CR is just another source of information. I find it worth the small subscription price. You don't. Basing your complaint on a 40 year old grudge strikes me as over the top, but it is your right.