Convert wood splitter to pto power

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #1  

rob in ore

Tractor
Kubota B2320
I have a Montgomery Wards gas powered wood splitter from the 1980's. This is the type that uses the reservoir as a trailer for towing it around. The original engine was replaced/upgraded about 20 years ago. Now that engine is showing its age too. The other components are holding up fine. When the engine finally gives out, I'm wondering about converting the unit to mount on a 3 point and use the pto to power the pump. I'm sure I have the horsepower for the pump so I'd rather use the pto than tap into the hydraulics. I doubt my tractor has the hydraulic flow to run a splitter with hydraulics alone. Also, the splitter uses automatic transmission fluid and I don't want to risk mixing that with my tractor fluid.

I know I'll need to build a frame to mount on the 3pt. The new unit would need to be mounted to the tractor while in use. After that is it just a matter of lining up the shaft so it's straight? Should I change/upgrade the pump at the same time? What calculations do I need to consider for sizing the pump to the cylinder/valve/reservoir? Is it possible to have too much power from the pto?

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #2  
The PTO is 540 rpm while the engine on the splitter turns around 3600 rpm at full throttle. You'll either need to gear up the speed to use the existing pump or run a higher volume pump. Splitter pumps hang off the engine on mounts. You'll need to fab a mount for the new pump and run a shaft which can accept a collapsible PTO shaft to attach it to the tractor.

The other option is a PTO pump, which goes on the tractor PTO stub and is made to run at 540 rpm.

Either way it's more work than just bolting on a HF Predator engine and probably costs more as well.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #3  
If your tractor has "power beyond" capabilities (back hoe capable) you have everything you need to power a splitter ram except maybe hoses, no need for PTO pumps and RPM boosters and such...

Just buy a 6.5 hp motor from harbor freight and go happily on your way.... I bought used 22 ton splitter with dead B&S and it cost more to fix B&S then to replace with HF motor... And everything bolted up just fine...

But do it before Jan 1st 2024 when California (CARB) no longer allows any "ignition engines" under 25 HP to be sold in calif...

6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine, EPA

Last edited:
   / Convert wood splitter to pto power #4  
I went with an old splitter that was worn out, and run it off my tractor hydraulic system. My tractor has plenty of flow to carry the cylinder, as it was ordered originally with the higher volume pump. (about 18 gpm?). It actually didn't cost me anything because I had hoses and fittings a friend donated when his company removed them from a piece of machinery and then elected to replace the machine rather than repair it. I thought I was going to have to buy a valve, but found one I had stashed who knows when!
David from jax

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #5  
At 4.7 gpm I think a splitter running off the OP's tractor would be unacceptably slow.

The California law is that certain products (including splitters I think) containing gas engines under 25hp with engines manufactured after Jan 1 2024 won't be able to be sold. I'm hoping that replacement engines for existing equipment will still be available and also that manufacturers will have a lot of stock of 2023 engines. But it's a poorly written law that ignores the needs of rural people.

Fortunately the OP's in Oregon where the emissions laws aren't as dumb, so we can talk about the OP's situation and not derail the thread with California problems.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #6  
At 4.7 gpm I think a splitter running off the OP's tractor would be unacceptably slow.

The California law is that certain products (including splitters I think) containing gas engines under 25hp with engines manufactured after Jan 1 2024 won't be able to be sold. I'm hoping that replacement engines for existing equipment will still be available and also that manufacturers will have a lot of stock of 2023 engines. But it's a poorly written law that ignores the needs of rural people.

Fortunately the OP's in Oregon where the emissions laws aren't as dumb, so we can talk about the OP's situation and not derail the thread with California problems.
But Oregon is only one step behind Cali...

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power
Thanks Folks! I'd never even thought of getting a knock-off engine. I knew a good quality replacement engine was beyond the budget. I wasn't sure about my original idea either though. With your insight I searched for HF and Northern Tool replacements. Even a Honda engine (which is probably a lot better than is needed for this old splitter), will be cheaper than what I'd spend in steel and welding rod trying to do my own thing. To be honest, I didn't know HF was selling engines now. Mine is 190cc, HF has a 212cc for $160. The cheapest pto shaft at Northern Tool is $150. Looks like china wins this round.

Sorry about your Kalifornia. I know our time is coming soon. And I agree that my tractor hydraulics won't pump the volume needed for a splitter. It runs my backhoe fine but I don't work that fast.

If I replace the engine, would I want to increase the horsepower/displacement? Would that interfere with the pump being able to keep cool? I don't really need to speed it up and it's always had enough strength to split what I need. I'm mostly concerned about china's sliding scale of horsepower ratings.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #8  
I just changed my 6hp B&S to a 8hp predator(HF) increase in HP does not change the cycle time so cooling is not an issue. I went bigger for the future if I had to replace the pump. I'm very happy with the swap.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #10  
Thanks Folks! I'd never even thought of getting a knock-off engine. I knew a good quality replacement engine was beyond the budget. I wasn't sure about my original idea either though. With your insight I searched for HF and Northern Tool replacements. Even a Honda engine (which is probably a lot better than is needed for this old splitter), will be cheaper than what I'd spend in steel and welding rod trying to do my own thing. To be honest, I didn't know HF was selling engines now. Mine is 190cc, HF has a 212cc for $160. The cheapest pto shaft at Northern Tool is $150. Looks like china wins this round.

Sorry about your Kalifornia. I know our time is coming soon. And I agree that my tractor hydraulics won't pump the volume needed for a splitter. It runs my backhoe fine but I don't work that fast.

If I replace the engine, would I want to increase the horsepower/displacement? Would that interfere with the pump being able to keep cool? I don't really need to speed it up and it's always had enough strength to split what I need. I'm mostly concerned about china's sliding scale of horsepower ratings.
Only open throttle setting enough to accomplish job at hand....

I have old DUERR splitter made by MDT about 1990, and its rated at 22 Tons, and its not about horsepower its about the rating of the pump (GPM/RPM) and pressure set by relief valve in control valve.... I run mine full out and have maybe 20-30 hours on it so far and heat does not seem to be a issue...
Just be sure the adapter plate the holds the pump to motor is same as specs of HF motor (mine from B&S were identical to HF) and the the Lovejoy coupler (I am guessing here ) is in good shape and spaced correctly, .. In my case shaft on HF motor was about 1 inch longer than B&S so I had to space pump adapter out from motor a bit or option was to cut motor shaft, and with my luck if I cut motor shaft I would have had a problem with motor and cutting shaft would have voided warranty...

P1020531.JPG

Yes I know crude spacers, but precision enough.... All I needed was new spider for Lovejoy coupler (mine was worn badly) and longer bolts to engine...

There is also information online on how to setup proper spacing of Lovejoy coupler...

Last edited: