Convert wood splitter to pto power

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #11  
A Harbor freight predator motor is like $200. That would be far easier and cheaper than trying to convert it.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #12  
Another point I just thought of- If the splitter is tractor mounted it would be hard to be lazy and pick up big pieces to put on the splitter, or to collect the split wood in the bucket to move to the stack/pile.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #13  
Another point I just thought of- If the splitter is tractor mounted it would be hard to be lazy and pick up big pieces to put on the splitter, or to collect the split wood in the bucket to move to the stack/pile.

I like to use my skid steer to move wood while the wood splitter does it’s thing. I also move logs to saw them while a helper splits wood. Having the wood splitter powered off the only tractor you have would really slow down the operation.

Attachments

• IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
   / Convert wood splitter to pto power #14  
IF, you work smarter instead of harder and cut over a wagon, trailer or even a table,

Resized-20211030-115306-6851-S.jpg

you don't need a tractor picking up rounds while you are splitting!

It's just so much easier/faster and saves picking rounds up off the ground to split.

SR

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #15  
You are entitled to cut your firewood however you want but I’ve tried the idea before and found it to be dangerous. Aside from the obvious problem of standing on an unstable pile of wood the cut piece falls free and rolls unpredictably.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #16  
IF YOU aren't coronated enough to do it, then you are right, you shouldn't be doing it, but myself and the several helpers I have had, none of us have had any problems at all cutting over wagons or trailers.

I sometimes stand on the ground cutting over a sno-mobile trailer, perhaps that would help you. Because it's smaller, you just end up with smaller loads.

SR

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #17  
This would do it with flow to spare.

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #18  
This would do it with flow to spare.

Harbor Freight 6.5 HP motor is half the price....

/ Convert wood splitter to pto power #19  
Harbor Freight 6.5 HP motor is half the price....
....and double the noise...

We had a sawmill made of an old fodder beet cutter, our neighbour had it running off the threshing pulley on his first tractor. We welded a car hub with rubber tire against the belt and bolted a PTO stub between wheel nuts and rim.

With the tractor in ground speed PTO and the range lever in neutral, this gave about 800rpm on the pto at 1200 engine RPM. The saw itself was the only thing noisy, not an engine.