Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
What's it going to take? I have a good utility trailer that has the old spoke type drums with the open center clamp on type wheels - (like a Mobile home trailer although it's not from a m/h). There were common when I built the trailer 25 years ago, but I feel that they are not suited well for highway speeds. It's a single axle with light 3500# axle (Dexter?) and I'd like to switch to a regular "dish" wheel and have better tire options.

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #2  
There's no problem with those wheels for use on the street. Good bearings and tires are more important than anything on the road. The biggest problem with those type wheels is getting them balanced these days, but a truck shop should be able to do it for you. They are also heavy so take away from your payload.

If you want to convert you probably will only need new hubs for the spindles. If it was me I'd look at the cost of tires and bearings for your current set up vs new hubs tires & wheels...

Good luck

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #3  
By the time you figure the time and cost of materials for converting I'm thinking you won't be far off the cost of a new axle. Just buy some new u-bolts and you're in business.

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #4  
My trailer also has those axles, dexter brand. I've been able to get tires locally quite cheap, and replacement brakes assembles are available online for about $40 each.

I have thought of converting to 8 lug hubs, but funds are low... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I agree, maintain what you have.

However, if you want to do the conversion, hubs and bearings are avaliable, new wheels and tires as well... if you got the cash, somebody has what you need and will gladly sell it to you!

Google search 'dexter axle hubs bearings parts'

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #5  
Most axles I've found that use 14.5 wheels are rated for 6k.
E-trailer sell a bearing kit that works, have to measure the spindle but std. hub/drums will work if it's the common axle.

Around here that style wheel/hub is referred to as Dayton

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #6  
I agree with getting rid of those wheels.

R&P Carriages.com carries new hubs to convert them.

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels
I also call (right or wrong) all "spoked" type wheel Dayton, trailer or truck. It was either Dayton or Budd type.

I've never checked the tire to see if there's a speed rating. Not that I'm unrealistc about trailer speeds, but I'd like to be able to take a highway trip at highway speeds, 600 miles @ (65) without worrying about the tires. I'm running 12 ply's right now and that is well beyond the trailer load, but they do seem to get hot, esp. in the summer heat with highway service. Anyone else either observe this or hear this "not great @ hwy speeds" story also?

/ Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #8  
   / Converting trailer from "spoke" wheels #10  
GVWR vs unladen weight. Sprung and unsprung weight both count against total legal weight (GVWR)

Duh.. I was thinking differently :eek: As in carrying capacity.