Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot???

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
Going to try a Prime rib roast for Christmas dinner. Has anyone used their Instant Pot for this?

What is your favorite cut of roast for this and how did you prepare it?
How did you cook it?
Thanks!!

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #2  
Last prices for Prime Rib I saw made my eyes Bug Out! Like 70-80.00 CDN for a fairly small roast.

Last one years ago, just done in the oven with a roasting pan. Nice to have the outside browned a bit.

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #3  
I couldn't think of a less likely cooking method for me to prepare a beef rib roast. I'd put it in the oven.
Good luck.

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #4  
When I do ribs in my Power Pressure Cooker, I put them in just long enough to get them about 3/4 cooked, then I put them in a BIG CI (pre heated under the broiler) skillet, with BBQ sauce on them, and finish under the broiler!

When they are browned, they are done!

SR

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #5  
Personally I would use a tried and true cooking method...especially with a high quality roast...most cuts of meat continue to cook after removing from the heat source...monitoring the internal temperature is paramount IMO...
With larger rib roasts it is not difficult to have it so the outer cuts are more well done and the inner cuts rare so there is something for everyone depending on what they prefer...I think a majority prefer prime rib on the rare side...!

bon appetit

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #7  
Going to try a Prime rib roast for Christmas dinner. Has anyone used their Instant Pot for this?

What is your favorite cut of roast for this and how did you prepare it?
How did you cook it?
Thanks!!

Sharn Jean cooks a wonderful Prime Rib in the oven. She sprays it with olive oil, and seasons it with pepper and a little salt. I think If I had $80 invested in a roast, I would go the conventional oven route. She says the best results are achieved when you cook it slow; the Instant pot would defeat that. I might try it for a rump roast or an arm roast, but the rib roast is basically a huge rib eye. We have had prime rib on New Year's, a tradition for at least 40 years. We all look forward to it. We start looking for specials a couple of months before New Year's, and have managed to find them for about $9.99 a pound for the last few years.

There 's a lot of info on the internet on cooking Prime Rib; and I would start with a Prime cut if you can afford it, nothing less than a choice.

I am considering cooking one on the smoker.

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #8  
Surprisingly, Gordon's Food Service sells a pre-cooked prime rib. All you have to do is slowly heat it up to 120. About $12 a pound. My sister-in-law has done this on occasion. It was quite good. :thumbsup:

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #9  
Cooking a rib roast in a pot is akin to putting a silver saddle on a jackass.

/ Cooking a Prime Rib roast in a Instant Pot??? #10  
I couldn't think of a less likely cooking method for me to prepare a beef rib roast. I'd put it in the oven.
Good luck.
That would be my thoughts - why an Instant Pot? I mean it doesn't hurt to experiment, but I believe I'd use a cheaper cut of meat.