Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,561  
In late July a property owner decided he needed to work on a piece of equipment. He ignored the dry temperatures and the brisk winds and proceeded to do some work with an angle grinder.
good side.jpg

This is the western edge of the fire on the Smilkameen River.
Fireside.jpg

You can't see the eastern edge. The burn goes through the gap, but not all the way to the far ridge. Firefighters were hoping the river would make a fire break, but the winds picked up even more and the fire crossed the river with ease. The fire burned about 16,000 acres in the US and about the same in Canada. The property owner is liable for all damages and the cost of fighting the fire. Aircraft, including a DC-10, were used fighting the fire. I was told the cost of one load on the DC-10 was $125,000; it flew in six loads of fire retardant. There were numerous aircraft involved on both sides of the border.
The photos were taken within seconds of each other looking in opposite directions.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,562  
I am not on the dry side of the state, but even over here I do all spark generating work over dry concrete. Such a shame what happened there.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,563  
The guy that started that is a classic example of "cranial rectal insertion" that has hurt untold thousands, people and wildlife.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,568  
When I look at a mountain like that, I wonder what's living up there? Bighorn Sheep? Mountain Goats? A massive old mule deer buck?
Those are all there plus elk and bear. We haven’t seen much wildlife though. They tend to hide from the tourists.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,569  
Black Bellied Whistling Ducks sort of disappeared in the Spring and just started showing up again a few weeks ago. We had 4 that stayed all year. I think we're into the mid 20's right now. Last year we peaked at around 100, but that only lasted for a couple days. 30 to 40 seemed to be the average last year. They don't act like any other duck that I've ever seen. They fly straight up, or just hover around. They like to stand at the edge of the water, or on the fence, or even on the barn. Rarely do they just float around like the other ducks do. At night, they all take off just before dark, make a ton of whistling noises while circling the pond three or four times, and they fly off to the North. When we wake up in the morning, they are back at the pond, or at the barn, eating the chickens food.

IMG_2653.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG