Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos
To get some photos back into all this discussion and troubleshooting, here are some more photos I finally got around to processing over the weekend... :dance1:

Some from Phipps Conservatory...
2020-01-08_17-02-29_0013.jpg
2020-01-08_17-08-09_0020.jpg
2020-01-08_17-25-17_0033.jpg
2020-01-08_17-30-52_0039.jpg
2020-01-08_18-09-41_0072.jpg
2020-01-08_19-00-22_0105.jpg

Some from Yellow Creek State Park...
2020-01-12_15-03-01_0001.jpg
2020-01-12_15-00-03_0033.jpg
2020-01-12_14-26-05_0032.jpg
2020-01-12_12-53-27_0005.jpg
2020-01-12_16-33-38_0042.jpg

And some from the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium...
2020-01-17_13-56-30_0703.jpg
2020-01-17_13-28-42_0662.jpg
2020-01-17_11-07-51_0001.jpg
2020-01-17_10-48-52_0220.jpg
2020-01-17_14-20-16_0764.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #302  
I don't understand all I know about the way TBN posts pictures. I just go by what I see on my computer.

The pixel size of the uploaded picture has nothing to do with the size in pixels of the picture displayed in the post.

As mentioned, on a computer Thumbnail is the default. You can select Medium, Large and Full Size.

Large only works up to some now unknown pixel width before it cuts off the right side of the picture. I used to know the width, but it has changed and appears to be different in some forums.

/ Cool Nature Photos #303  
Some valid reasons for that in the pro/hobbyist photography world would be to reduce file size (and thereby time to load and process on the PC) and/or to increase burst rate for more frames per second when shooting action. But none of that really applies to most.

I don't know anyone that has a PC so slow that they limit the size of the photos that they take. They may limit the size of photos that they upload, or email, but they don't limit them when shooting the pictures.

I worked for 30 years at the local newspaper. Some of my duties were maintaining the photo archives, maintaining the photographers' computers where they edited photos, the disk storage systems, the programs they used, and all the film stuff before digital. Professionals always shot the highest resolution possible and downsized photos after the fact as needed. And they kept buying and buying the latest and best photography equipment. I recall when we ditched film and went totally digital. None of the photogs complained. I didn't complain either, because I no longer had to maintain their film processors, dark rooms, equipment, etc... the only thing I miss is the semi-annual cleaning out of the silver recovery vessels. That was fun. Chipping off near pure silver into bags, sending them off to be smelted into ingots, and storing them in the company vault for a rainy day. :laughing:

/ Cool Nature Photos #304  
Phipps is a beautiful place. One of our kids lives near Pittsburg and we get her an annual membership there. The little glass alien looking people are her favorites. :thumbsup:

/ Cool Nature Photos #305  
Did they ever get that escalator fixed at that zoo? :laughing:

Nice pictures, by the way. :thumbsup:

/ Cool Nature Photos
I don't know anyone that has a PC so slow that they limit the size of the photos that they take. They may limit the size of photos that they upload, or email, but they don't limit them when shooting the pictures.

I worked for 30 years at the local newspaper. Some of my duties were maintaining the photo archives, maintaining the photographers' computers where they edited photos, the disk storage systems, the programs they used, and all the film stuff before digital. Professionals always shot the highest resolution possible and downsized photos after the fact as needed. And they kept buying and buying the latest and best photography equipment. I recall when we ditched film and went totally digital. None of the photogs complained. I didn't complain either, because I no longer had to maintain their film processors, dark rooms, equipment, etc... the only thing I miss is the semi-annual cleaning out of the silver recovery vessels. That was fun. Chipping off near pure silver into bags, sending them off to be smelted into ingots, and storing them in the company vault for a rainy day. :laughing:

That's cool about the silver. I used to shoot black and white film and use the darkroom. I've been 100% digital for over a decade. (Photography is just a hobby, not a profession for me.) My latest camera is 42MP and I shoot RAW, so each image is around 85MB. If I'm shooting action in the fastest burst mode (10fps), the buffer fills up fast, even with the fastest of memory cards. For this reason, sometimes I shoot in crop mode (18MP). It reduces the resolution (but 18MP is still more than usable for a lot of what I shoot), but it greatly increases the amount of shots that can be captured before the buffer fills up and has to be offloaded to the memory card. It also greatly improves the time it takes to load them to the PC for processing when I get home. I've got a pretty fast PC, but when it comes to loading and processing 85MB image files, it can really slow down the workflow.

But yes, other than those couple specific circumstances, I absolutely agree with you and shoot at the highest resolution whenever it makes sense. After all, why would somone spend the dough on such a high resolution camera if said person wasn't going to utilize it? :laughing: You know, between photography, cars, ham radio, and tractors... I really need to get some cheaper hobbies! :duh:

/ Cool Nature Photos
Phipps is a beautiful place. One of our kids lives near Pittsburg and we get her an annual membership there. The little glass alien looking people are her favorites. :thumbsup:

Ha! They're definitaly different.

Did they ever get that escalator fixed at that zoo? :laughing:

Nice pictures, by the way. :thumbsup:

NOPE! Still as broken and torn apart as ever! :laughing:
And thanks.

/ Cool Nature Photos #308  
...it makes for a real PITA for folks with low bandwidth connections and it bogs down their browsers...especially when someone else "quotes" a post with several large images...it compounds the issue...

I have a fast connection but this is a very good point. When quoting, I try to edit out the pictures of what I am responding to. It is easy to do, there is no point in reposting pictures.

/ Cool Nature Photos
I have a fast connection but this is a very good point. When quoting, I try to edit out the pictures of what I am responding to. It is easy to do, there is no point in reposting pictures.

Yep. It would be nice if the forum was smart enough to do that by default.

/ Cool Nature Photos #310  
On my wish list is a good telescope with adapter to (and) a good camera. Anyone have recommendations?