Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #92  
This guy won't be around much longer...

2019-09-08_15-46-17_750.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #93  
4get gto - the pic of your mantis tells me you still have green grass. Late summer/early fall the mantis around here turn "dead grass tan".

/ Cool Nature Photos #94  
Ok, here is one I took on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska while my son and I were on a motorcycle trip in 2004. Actually it is about 4 or 5 images stitched together to make the panoramic. Shot it with a Nikon D100 which had no panoramic setting. It was late at night in early July, hence the deep shadows.

kenpan-sm.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #96  
4get gto - the pic of your mantis tells me you still have green grass. Late summer/early fall the mantis around here turn "dead grass tan".

That picture was taken probably a month ago. But our grass is still green and praying mantis are still around....Didn't even have a good frost yet. Tho that could change tonite so I hear.

/ Cool Nature Photos #97  
We have had hard frost almost every night/morning for the last two weeks here. The gravel driveway is freezing up nice and hard. Great for plowing when we get snow.
The mantis are hard enough to find when they are mint green. Next to impossible when they are dead grass tan and mixed in with the fields of dead grass.

We would go down on the Kenai every year for "clamming" at either Clam Gulch or the Ninilchick. Usually during the extreme spring tides.

/ Cool Nature Photos #98  
The tides there amazed me. Huge mud flats showing when we went down. Then water coming in when we came out. Really pretty also.

/ Cool Nature Photos #99  
Over the years, I've dug a LOT of clams at Clam Gulch...

On low tide, there's an island that appears, (BIG sand bar) and that's the place to make a killing on clams. You just have to be VERY careful watching the tide, you don't want to get stuck out there with the tide coming in. A few have drown there, from not paying attention!

SR

/ Cool Nature Photos #100  
Every year - several get "stuck" and have to be rescued. Occasionally one or two drown. I saw a young "buckaroo" loose his brand new Bronco. Folks think when the tides go out - sand flats are exposed. BIG MISTAKE - what you see out there are mud flats formed from glacial silt. It is sticky, it will grab on and not let go.

There is another interesting phenomenon that happens in Knik Arm. During the extreme spring tides - you will get a tidal bore. It's the extremely rapid tides coming back into the arm. The incoming tide meets the outgoing water from the river off the Knik glacier. It's like a miniature tsunami. I've seen a bore that was nearly three feet high.