Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #371  
Synmat: WOW 3 different woodpeckers and great pics of them too. WELL DONE!!!

ALL: since that tornado was so close to the water could it almost be called a hurricane? we love watching storms from inside a condo/room on the OREGON COAST, but I sure wouldn't like to have a tornado hit with us there.

I posted a few of these pictures over on the GOOD MORNING thread and thought since i'm pretty sure that our raccoons are doing this even though I don't have them in the picture I'm wondering if any of you have had this issue.

have a great day!!

put sand on top layer and need to wash it off.jpg

more raccoons grass damage 1.JPG

/ Cool Nature Photos #372  
I've never saw Racoons do damage like that. Is there any other possibilities??

/ Cool Nature Photos #373  
Over: I'm almost 100% this is raccoons and i'll have to get a game camera to catch them even though i'm usually up at 4am. thankfully they are leaving my lawn alone this year, but they have been tearing the neighbors yards up and maybe cause I removed a ton of grubs and crane fly larve when i re did the lawn March of 2017.

i've seen crows pick a lawns in huge groups, but they don't bring up big chunks and this is a 7+ year old lawn with deep roots. we don't have skunks or pigs which i guess are another possibility, but we do have an occasional possum. we do have quite a few wild raccoons since we live in the city close to a 700 acre park where i'm guessing a lot of trapped ones are set free.

I hear you have pigs in your part of the world that do something like this? this is my neighbors 1 year old yard that the raccoons are picking on this year.

Raccoon damaged lawn S & T Nov 2019 2.jpeg

Raccoon damaged lawn S & T Nov 2019.jpeg

/ Cool Nature Photos #374  
It's not pig damage. That looks like it was newly laid sod that has been rolled up. Pig damage is not smooth and has craters and lumps everywhere. Very difficult to smooth out. Looks like all that would need to be done is to unroll what has been rolled up. I don't think it's armadillo or 'possums either. Never heard of raccoons doing something like this, but I wouldn't put it past them. Raccoons are smart critters and can learn new techniques easier than you would think. Besides, I still learn new things every day, this may be today's lesson.

/ Cool Nature Photos #375  
We see and (hear!) them quite often around here.

Same here in SE Ohio. We have a pair nesting on the back side of our hollow. Beautiful birds. When they fire up,sounds like somebody with an AK in the woods!

/ Cool Nature Photos #376  
Over: I'm almost 100% this is raccoons and i'll have to get a game camera to catch them even though i'm usually up at 4am. thankfully they are leaving my lawn alone this year, but they have been tearing the neighbors yards up and maybe cause I removed a ton of grubs and crane fly larve when i re did the lawn March of 2017.

i've seen crows pick a lawns in huge groups, but they don't bring up big chunks and this is a 7+ year old lawn with deep roots. we don't have skunks or pigs which i guess are another possibility, but we do have an occasional possum. we do have quite a few wild raccoons since we live in the city close to a 700 acre park where i'm guessing a lot of trapped ones are set free.

I hear you have pigs in your part of the world that do something like this? this is my neighbors 1 year old yard that the raccoons are picking on this year.

I never seen raccoons do that, but they are little bastids, I wouldn't put anything past them. Pigs root, you'd see deep gouges in the ground with pigs.

/ Cool Nature Photos #379  
I'm not sure exactly where I got this picture originally or if it's REAL or a nice graffic artist's work, but I like it.

sorry I didn't resize it, but i need to head outside while it's not raining.

cheers

god's way of saying have a nice day.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #380  
I'm not sure exactly where I got this picture originally or if it's REAL or a nice graffic artist's work, but I like it.

sorry I didn't resize it, but i need to head outside while it's not raining.

cheers

View attachment 639040

No resizing needed for those of us viewing with iPhone and Tapatalk. Ever.