Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #241  
When we bought our 25 acre rental property, there was indeed a dump on it. Spent years getting rid of all the stuff, including huge amount of old metal roofing. Still finding stuff today.

The property is one of the original properties on the lake, and was an old lodge once owned by a gold refining company. Never found any gold, however!

However, there is still one underground chamber that looks like a collapsed root cellar that we haven’t yet explored…

The underground mine on your propriety is pretty cool, I don't know how deep it is but when and if you decide exploring it (not recommending it) make sure there is air flow, if not bring a gas detector that at least measure oxygen and carbon monoxide.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #242  
The cameras stink for real pictures though. I tried to get a picture of an albino deer a couple of years ago. I could post the picture and tell you "She's there" but it would be a big leap of faith on your part to believe me.
>
>
>
On my part also. I took the picture but still can't make her out.
I have some high end camera and lenses, but even with that capability, trying to get images of the albino deer we had 5-10 years ago, was an exercise in frustration. I have the images but thy are blurred in spite of the quality of the equipment.

There were two albino bucks but they did not last the hunting season. The twins split up best I could tell, and the last time I saw one, it was heading off our property which was not going to end well during hunting season.

Later,
Dan

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #243  
yes, you would be surprise on how many people bury garbage on their property i can understand but it’s not something i would do..
When I worked on a farm as a teenager, the owner would dump trash into a ravine on the property. Never could understand him doing this because we were only on the farm for a few days at a time before heading back to the city. He could easily have taken the trash home and had it picked up with his city house garbage.

There was a house in our county years ago, along a major road, where they would throw the trash all over the property. The trash was in white trash bags, and over time, the property was just filled up with white trash bags. There is a garbage collection center five minutes from that house, but the people were too lazy to take the garbage to the center, even though they were very likely going to nearest grocery store which was near the collection center. My assumption is the county got involved because the place was cleaned up.

Later,
Dan

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #244  
I took our grandsons magnet fishing near our home, we were on a bridge throwing in 2 magnets when my grandson pulled up a Glock 22 40 cal pistol!
It wasn't even rusted yet, it was missing the barrel but the rest was there. I let him keep it as a souvenir.
Depending on state law, possession of the pistol without a permit could be a problem.

I would suggest taking the pistol to law enforcement and running the serial number. Given the barrel was missing and the pistol was tossed in the water, it is likely the firearm was stolen. The missing barrel would suggest to a reasonable person that the pistol was used in a crime.

Personally, I would not want to be in possession of that pistol.

Later,
Dan

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #245  
When I worked on a farm as a teenager, the owner would dump trash into a ravine on the property. Never could understand him doing this because we were only on the farm for a few days at a time before heading back to the city. He could easily have taken the trash home and had it picked up with his city house garbage.

There was a house in our county years ago, along a major road, where they would throw the trash all over the property. The trash was in white trash bags, and over time, the property was just filled up with white trash bags. There is a garbage collection center five minutes from that house, but the people were too lazy to take the garbage to the center, even though they were very likely going to nearest grocery store which was near the collection center. My assumption is the county got involved because the place was cleaned up.

Later,
Dan

Brutal ... ya these scenarios are hard to understand. When I said I can understand is some people have the equipment to burry their garbage, they have to pay for dump fees and haul it. Since they are out of city limits and don't have the services. In their mentality its all going underground, so I can ''understand'' other work for I don't judge them but would never buy their property and I would never burry garbage on my property other then organic matter.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #246  
After that project was over, we had to convert all of the press units from keyed to keyless. Some of that involved sitting inside of running press units while mounting electrical boxes, wiring harnesses, then making adjustments to the new sensors. You haven't lived until you climb inside a running press unit. It sounds like you're sitting inside the engine compartment of a large truck doing 60. The rollers are inches from your head. One wrong move and it would be like putting your head into a giant wringer washing machine. Death would be instant. No loose clothing. No rags in pockets. All shirts tucked in. And I cut my hair pretty short, too. I ranked that part of the job right up there with jump-starting aircraft that had the plug between the prop and the leading edge of the wing. Total concentration or death. 😬
As I said

Nerves. Of. Steel.

Personally, I would take jump starting aircraft over that job any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #247  
Brutal ... ya these scenarios are hard to understand. When I said I can understand is some people have the equipment to burry their garbage, they have to pay for dump fees and haul it. Since they are out of city limits and don't have the services. In their mentality its all going underground, so I can ''understand'' other work for I don't judge them but would never buy their property and I would never burry garbage on my property other then organic matter.
What is maddening with dumping in my county, is that there are NO fees for dumping at the dump or the various collection centers. Those services are paid for in county taxes and when one goes to the dump or the collection center one does not pay a penny. Yet, people will still toss trash along the road, on their property, or worse someone else's property, like mine.

Yeah, I would not buy property that had buried trash on it and I have seem that here and there over the years. In the two cases I mentioned, there were simple, easy and no cost ways to handle their trash, other than tossing it on the land. Just odd.

Later,
Dan

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #248  
What's kinda neat about garbage dumps is that they are a time capsule.

My parent's property bordered a large ravine off of one side. About 400' long going down about 90'. There used to be a two-track dirt road going along the side of it. Apparently it was quite the dumping spot up until the late 40's. Over the years, being curious kids, we'd start digging through the junk piles. Once in a while we'd find china that wasn't broken. Pots, pans, cans, bottles of all shapes and sizes. It's the thing archeologists dream of a thousand years from now.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #249  
What's kinda neat about garbage dumps is that they are a time capsule.

My parent's property bordered a large ravine off of one side. About 400' long going down about 90'. There used to be a two-track dirt road going along the side of it. Apparently it was quite the dumping spot up until the late 40's. Over the years, being curious kids, we'd start digging through the junk piles. Once in a while we'd find china that wasn't broken. Pots, pans, cans, bottles of all shapes and sizes. It's the thing archeologists dream of a thousand years from now.
In the bottle dump of our very rural northern New England farm, the daughter found an old "ship's bottle" that had a torpedo style on one end rather than a flat bottom. I knew nothing about them but was told the bottles were used to carry fresh water on ships and more could be piled sideways with the pointed bottoms.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #250  
A local private junior college had several hundred acres of farmland just out of town. They had their own private dump/landfill there for decades. Until the the EPD found out about it in the 80s. The town had a similar setup. Our own little superfund sites nearby. Both had to be cleaned up at huge costs.