Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #303  
Stick it in my 8' bed and hang a red flag on it. You can't do that in a short bed. Or really haul much of anything. Unfortunately, my old 89F150 died and there are no used "work" trucks out there in my price rang ($15,000). Had to buy a short bead and making do with it but it is a headache. I currently have a 6 cord order of firwood to deliver. That's going to take aa couple extra loads in addtion to the labor of having to stack every piece in order to get the maximum on each load. Loading now takes 2-3 hours vice the 1-2 it used to take.
Your version of "Much of anything" is different than mine. If I was hauling lumber all of the time I wouldn't have an 8 foot bed; rather, it would be a 9 foot rack body or bigger, depending on what I was doing. Or have the lumber delivered. Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean that yours is the only solution. I have contractors who routinely haul 30' culverts on those short bed pickups which you don't like. They need their pickups for different reasons than you and set them up accordingly. Heck, I legally hauled (2) 20 foot long 3x10" tamarack planks on my old Ranger. Not both at once, I put one on the rack each time and put a bunch of 8-10 foot boards in the bed. The hardest part about those planks was getting them onto the racks; those babies were HEAVY!.
You haul a 12 foot 2x4 extending out the back, I have it up over the cab. It distributes the way better on the axles, and I can also haul 16 foot or longer wood whereas you will have to go home and get a trailer.

I don't understand why some people feel that they should dictate what other people need. I bought my Colorado because it best suits my needs. I can go places where there isn't room for a bigger truck, and sneak around ruts left by people driving something wider and heavier than mine. I can turn around in spots where you can't; and if I do get stuck it's a heck of a lot easier to get myself out than with a truck weighing a ton more or heavier. I would love to have a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a plow and dump, but anything relatively new costs too much, anything older is rusted all to cat crap... and they still want a stupid price for it. 10K with a rusted frame isn't that uncommon.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #304  
In 1969 the mine where my dad worked was headed away from clutched trucks and equipment.

I am talking about "work trucks" with electric seats, electric mirrors, leather seats, carpeting, blue tooth anything, lights under the hood, cameras everywhere, $2000 tailgates. Nor is 4 x 4 a need for most people. I do not need any of that and there is more I am sure could be added to the list.

The ads that push these false "needs" have worked well. Somehow what was a luxury item years ago are now requirements. I have no need for 15 cameras or a 6 way tailgate.

A/C, auto transmission and cruise control are the things that I "need" in a work truck. And I drive over 80,000 miles a year for 12 plus years.
Since they took the granny gear out of trucks, the only way to get a heavy load started is with an automatic transmission. I burned the clutch out of a fooking 5-speed by backing a travel trailer up a steep incline. But hey, it would red line at 30 mph in first gear. (n)

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #305  
Since they took the granny gear out of trucks, the only way to get a heavy load started is with an automatic transmission. I burned the clutch out of a fooking 5-speed by backing a travel trailer up a steep incline. But hey, it would red line at 30 mph in first gear. (n)
A friend still won't use first gear... even at times when I would have been in granny gear. Taking off on a hill with two snowsleds on a trailer, he'd still shift into second and just slip the clutch. I used to run back and forth between Maine and New York in my '91 Toyota, with an ATV in back . There is one hill in Vermont where I would stop at the stop sign, shift into low range, and get up onto flat ground where I would pull over and shift back into 2WD.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property
Kinda turned into a truck discussion thread?

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property
^ LOL

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #309  
20F4D555-9F11-4B83-9E05-BCA17F4AE099.jpeg

Albino deer

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #310  
My Dodge/Cummins dually is a manual and is 4wd. I rarely use the 4wd (leave the hubs unlocked) but I use low range in the transfer case all the time just for that reason.

Never have understood why with the new manual trannies reverse gear is so high. Even my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, manual tranny, will easily run 30 mph in reverse. WHY??? Reverse should be a creeper gear!