Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #461  
We've probably all read about this gun at some point in the past 8 years. Yet it still meet's the OPs criteria.

1650408057242.png

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #463  
In Umstead Park, which is a very nice, public park between Raleigh and Durham, NC, and is over 6,000 acres, I have found some interesting stuff.

The park is bounded by I40 on the south and US 70 on the north. The south side of the park has a large creek, and many years ago, there was a mill on the creek. The mill was washed out long ago. However, at least one of the grinding stones, were left in the creek bed.

The creek is down in a valley, and the south ridge is pretty steep, as is the trail leading down to the creek. One day I walked off the trail, I used to do that quite a bit for a variety of reasons, but in this case, I was looking to see if I could get a good photo graph of a bend in the creek. The part of the ridge I was standing on, overlooked the creek to the west, the old mill site was to the east. The ridge to the west was very steep, and eventually, was an almost vertical drop off to the creek way down below.

At that point on the ridge, many hundreds of yards from the mill site, many feet ABOVE the mill site, was another grinding stone. :unsure: 😁 It did not get up that steep trail, then moved off the trail to over look the creek by itself. :ROFLMAO:

The untold story, best I can figure, is that there was a cluster of cabins that were long gone. And one day, or two, or maybe over a week, a group of boys staying in those cabins, found the grinding stone in the creek, and figured, like boys will, that it would be great to roll that stone UP the trail, and then let it roll DOWN the ridge into the creek way down below. Think of the SPLASH! :ROFLMAO: Since the stone is where it is, my guess is they thought better of the idea, after doing all of that work rolling that stone up that ridge, or more likely, an adult caught then just before they rolled the stone off the ridge. :ROFLMAO: HOW they got that stone up the ridge without getting hurt is beyond me.

Course, maybe the untold story was that someone was trying to take the grinding stone to use in a mill somewhere else, and moved it off into the woods so that nobody else would take it, but they never came back to get the stone....

I like the idea of the boys being boys story about how the stone got where it be so I am sticking with that one. :ROFLMAO:

Later,
Dan

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #464  
There's something about rolling things down hills that just feels fun. We used to roll old tires down a hill near our house. Great fun.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #465  
Hmm. I would bet on another mill owner. If you were trying to reuse the stone, winching it from tree to tree with a couple of rollers would be pretty easy. Lots of anchors, and safe resting points. Rolling a stone uphill sounds like a recipe for uncontrolled descent to me.

I lived for awhile where folks in the area had many little working mills. When they needed new stones, they would walk the stream bed, and chisel out a new stone in the stream, and then move it with ropes and pulleys. It is a lot easier to move a finished stone with a hole in it than the boulder it came from. Most millers had backup stones so as to not lose custom if a stone broke or wore down to the point it needed regrooving. Did you know that milling wheat and corn benefit from different grooves?

All the best,

Peter

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property
We've probably all read about this gun at some point in the past 8 years. Yet it still meet's the OPs criteria.

View attachment 742422
I was going to look for that at one point in this thread.
Then...... squirrel!!

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #468  
There's something about rolling things down hills that just feels fun. We used to roll old tires down a hill near our house. Great fun.
We used to roll old tires down steep city streets. One took down a screen door going into a kitchen.
Greater fun hearing people scream!

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #469  
We used to roll old tires down steep city streets. One took down a screen door going into a kitchen.
Greater fun hearing people scream!
Man, we did terrible things as kids. No one thinks what could happen. Horrible things could happen. Until someone makes you understand the consequences of your actions if things go wrong, you just think it's funny as long as no one gets hurt or nothing too bad is damaged.

We lived on a street that dead-ended into a gravel road. We'd roll the tires down the hill. Some had rims in them still. They'd hit a drainage culvert at the intersection and launch into the air, jump completely over the gravel road, and vanish into the wilderness on the other side of the road.

I watched a kid let a tire go. We were all watching it. Half way down the hill, a white VW beetle comes around the curve on the gravel road. YIKES! Tire hits the culvert just as the beetle is passing. Dead straight line would have taken a direct hit on the passenger door. We all cringed. Tire launches into the air, bounces off the roof of the beetle, continues through the air, vanishing into the bushes on the far side of the road like a ghost.

BOOMP!!

The beetle just keeps driving like nothing happened. Didn't even slow down. I don't think they ever saw it coming or going.

We decided that probably wasn't the best activity to participate in at that particular location anymore.

Could have killed someone.

/ Cool Or Creepy Things Found In The Bush Or On Your Property #470  
our farm was on top of a ridge above a canyon. Great fun rolling large rocks over the edge. Never gave a thought about what was happening down below. There was a farm there.