coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? )

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? ) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
got a coolant question for the 7.3l diesel in mu f450 are those wet liners?

IE.. do I need to add the anti-cav / electrolysys addative or use a fleet diesel antifreeze that is precharged?

soundguy

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? ) #2  
These Blocks are prone to cavatation , Ford and IH recommend the additive , you can get at the dealer . I would add it no matter what antifreeze you choose.

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? ) #3  
x2

Also I believe they do have wet liners. Not 100% sure though.

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? ) #4  
The t444e (Navistar internationals 7.3 powerstroke) has a coolant filter on the water pump. The filter has the additive already in it. It's called dca4 and can be checked with a litmus. Since they went as far as that I would say definetly use the additive.

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? )
sounds good. got a couple bottles on the way from napa now.

thanks

soundguy

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? ) #6  
Oh about the liners, have never had the heads off of one. I can tell you this, we have 7 in the fleet with the highest mileage being 470000. None of the other guys in the shop has cracked one either!! IMHO the best v8 int has ever made.

glad to hear.. I've always heard good things about the 7.3's ( and bad stuff about the 6.0's ) :)

later tonight i will add the 4056 napa kool to the system since I just did a coolant belt and hose and thermostat change before I parked her in the barn.

soundguy

OK.. did some more research and have a few questions.

Looks like my 7.3 PSD from 99 would have taken the coolant addative FW15 ( back then ).. and that is a SCA2 type addative. The addative I was thinking of using, the napa kool 4056 also appears to be a SCA2 addative.

At some point Fw15 was updated to Fw16.. not sure the difference.

Nowadays the spec is VC8 it looks like.. and that is a DCA4 adative ( nitrate and moybdate?? )

So.. question.. still ok to add the napa kool 4056 to my 99 PSD.. or do I need to pick up the VC8

whats the verdict from ye learned diesel owners?

soundguy

/ coolant / ford 7.3 ( wet liner? ) #9  
I believe the newer spec'ed coolant additive works with the newest OAT (organic something-or-other) formulated coolants. If you have put the old green stuff in, then you should be using the older spec coolant additive (SCA2).

Don't hold me to that, because Ford has changed the coolant requirements a couple of times since the inception of the Superduty and I've seen all three colors (green, orange and yellow) in the gas trucks and only green and yellow in the diesels. But reason has it, that if you are using the older green coolant, then you should use the SCA2 additive.

I believe in 02 ( or 04? ) the new coolant spec for the PSD's came out )..

but yeah.. for sure have the green stuff in.. not the yellow or pink/orange stuff.

Soundguy