Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #41  
greg_g said:
Yes. It does. There's a mathematical relationship between horsepower and torque; [SIZE=-1]HP=TORQUE * RPM / 5252. Note that[/SIZE] one of the variables is RPM. Using that formula, you can arrive at approximately how much torque is being applied on the tractor side of the slipclutch. The rotary cutter applies torque on the opposite side of the slipclutch.

See attached chart. It contains settings for one of the most common slip clutch shafts around, the Eurocardan 60hp model; 8 adjustable springs pressing a pair of friction discs on either side of a smooth steel friction plate. The far right column lists how much torque it takes to overcome the spring tension for any given setting. When torque from the tractor side PLUS torque from the mower side EXCEED that value, a properly adjusted Eurocardan 60hp slipclutch - slips.

No. It won't. When you change the PTO output RPMs, the amount of torque you're applying to the tractor side of the slip clutch changes. Yet the spring tension doesn't change, hence the amount of torque to slip the clutch doesn't change. So by running the tractor at less than recommended PTO revs upsets the torque split at the slipclutch. Less torque from the tractor side means it takes MORE torque from the mower side to slip the clutch. Damage may ensue.

On the matter of the JD slip clutch; the manner of setting may be different, but the principle is the same. I believe the JD design works in a very narrow horsepower window, whereas the Eurocardan design is engineered to fit a multitude of PTO outputs.

//greg//
Wrong. HaveBlu is correct. Torque slips the clutch, not HP. HP is energy per unit time. This equates to how many turns it slips once the stiction torque is exceeded. Also, contrary to that mentioned previously, you never want your clutch to slip in any static mowing condition your tractor is capable of - this will burn up the clutch when you work the equipment hard. The slip is reserved for the gross overloads of the unexpected, allowing the engine to stall gracefully.
larry

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #42  
Yeah, remember when Farmwithjunk said he sent his slip clutch on his tiller up in a puff of smoke after loosening it a little to have it more responsive.

Greg--According to your formula as RPMs INCREASE torque DECREASES!:eek:

I LOVE THREADS LIKE THIS.:D

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #43  
So, in real life what's the bottom line here? Leave the clutch set for the max rpm and load of 540...even if you are running the bush hog at a lower rpm most of the time? Or let up on the clutch bolts a little and run it?

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #44  
SPYDERLK said:
Wrong. HaveBlu is correct. Torque slips the clutch, not HP. HP is energy per unit time. This equates to how many turns it slips once the stiction torque is exceeded. Also, contrary to that mentioned previously, you never want your clutch to slip in any static mowing condition your tractor is capable of - this will burn up the clutch when you work the equipment hard. The slip is reserved for the gross overloads of the unexpected, allowing the engine to stall gracefully.
larry
I don't understand how any of that differs what I wrote?

//greg//

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #45  
Redbug said:
So, in real life what's the bottom line here? Leave the clutch set for the max rpm and load of 540...even if you are running the bush hog at a lower rpm most of the time? Or let up on the clutch bolts a little and run it?
Bottom line? In my book the bottom line is simply to follow the manufacturers' recommendations. For purposes of the OP question, make sure the slipclutch is properly maintained and adjusted - and operate the implement at the recommended PTO rpms. Or can you produce a slipclutch manufacturer's recommendation to " let up on the clutch bolts a little and run it " ?

//greg//

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #46  
Redbug said:

I'm going to make one final post in this maelstrom of a thread. I'm one of those doubting Thomas's that has to try things for myself. I refuse to take someones word for something if I doubt their findings. I've tried adjusting slip clutches to tailor them to my needs. I trashed one and needed a rebuild for another to convince myself of their lack of adjustability.

THEOREM. a preposition that can be proved from accepted premise, law or principal.

FACT. A thing that has actually happened or is true.

We can draw conclusions based on an engineering theorem, or we can actually trash a few slip clutches and determine the facts.

Slip clutches would seem to be adjustable by tightening or loosening the preload bolts/springs. And to a certain extent we can. Problem is, they don't adjust on an accurate sliding scale like we think they should. At least they aren't accurately adjusted beyond a very narrow scope.

Mowers are built to withstand a certain amount of abuse. Same applies to the tractor powering that mower. A slip clutch is designed to limit shock loads when that amount of abuse is approached or surpassed. Shock loads less than that SHOULD BE tolerated by tractor and mower. That's where the hp rating of the gearbox and drive shaft come in to play. Their rating SHOULD BE ample to withstand those shock loads below the slip clutch's rating. (IF....if properly spec-ed) Now we all know that SHOULD BE isn't a definate. But engineers SHOULD BE sharp enough to adaquately design the drive shaft, the gear box, the tractors pto system, and even those poor blades that take the lions share of abuse.

When you operate at blade speeds generated below the rated pto rpms, the shock loads SHOULD BE less than when the blades strike something at full rated speed. Very simple premise. (Hit a tree with a car @ 25 mph. Hit the same tree with the same car @ 40 mph. Which speed does greatest damage? Which impact has to deal with the greatest energy? at which of the 2 speeds does the bumper recieve the greatest shock load?)

The slip clutch is there to handle shock loads greater than the rest of the package can handle. It's the bumper and air bag all rolled into one.

I deliberately destoyed a slip clutch. I found a new one on EBAY for a paultry sum of money and decided to experiment. The older clutch was still functional, but getting old. The u-joint attached to the slip clutch was failing. The new one came with a new u-joint. I had a perfect opportunity to see just what would happen with an adjustment to the preloading. The plan was to loosen the preload at 1/4-turn increments. I didn't count on the clutch going up in smoke on the very first adjustment, but it did. After that, even by TIGHTENING the preload several turns, it wouldn't hold up to normal use. It did BEFORE my experiment. (6' King Kutter tiller in reasonably friable soil) It was trashed by a very slight adjustment. (some consideration must be given to the fact that it was a used slip clutch that had seen a normal amount of "abuse" in its life prior to my little experiment)

A very true statement was made in an above post. You DO NOT want the clutch to slip even a small amount while in what would be considered normal use. It should only slip when shock loads are exceeding the capacity of any of the major components in the chain. This would tell me that you shouldn't exceed the tractors pto hp by a vast margin on the gearbox/driveshaft/slip clutch rating, in spite of the "common sense" idea that doing so would provide a saftey net of sorts. In other words, match all components as closely as possible with mower/tiller/ect rating slightly above tractors pto hp rating.

In the owners manual for all 3 of my tractors, it says "RECOMMENDED ENGINE RPM's for 540 rpm pto operation" , NOT "REQUIRED ENGINE SPEED". That tells me there is some leeway in how fast you power a given implement from the tractors point of view. In the manual for my Bush Hog mowers and the Woods mower it says "SUGGESTED PTO RPM's". I know the difference between a good cut and a poor cut with a mower. If it does the job right, and doesn't do any damage, why not take it easy on the equipment if and when you can?

With tractors of 36 years of age and 29 years of age that have been used in the above manner and have ZERO ill effects to show for it, along with very good results from the mowers used on those tractors, WHY NOT TAKE IT EASY ON THE EQUIPMENT WHEN YOU CAN?

I rest my case......

Last edited:
   / Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #47  
fwj - an engineer couldn't have said it better. :D

So - how much is my didling with the slip clutch on my new tiller going to cost me? :eek:

I just got a new CCM tiller. I went with 60" in anticipation of my new 30HP (24 PTO) Kubota (on order). I used it with my very underpowered for that size tiller, 18HP NH (14 PTO). After stalling it a couple times, I started messing with the slip clutch. During my experimentation, it gave up a fair amount of the "magical smoke":rolleyes: I was surprised at how little adjustment between doesn't slip & smoke signals. I have it set now that it starts to slip as the tractor is on its way to stalling - and will stall if I don't clutch the PTO or back off on the tilling depth.

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #48  
hazmat said:
fwj - an engineer couldn't have said it better. :D

Uh... That's not purely coincidental. (Google "Rose-Hulman Institute")

Set your clutch back to original specs and see if it lives. Mine had several hundred hours of use prior to my "sending across the river Jordan" and that may have contributed to it's demise.

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #49  
Quote from Chuck:
Greg--According to your formula as RPMs INCREASE torque DECREASES!

His formula is right. Here is a real world way to get a handle on it. HP is energy [work] per unit time. A HP is 33000 ft-lb/minute. This means it will push or pull against an opposing force of 33000# and impart 1foot of motion in a minute. - Or against 1# it would do 33000'. Its a product of force time distance, seewhatimean?

So for visualization of torque imparting force lets have a pulley 1foot in radius. One foot-lb of torque attempting to rotate this pulley will cause the rim of the pulley to pull 1# on an opposing force. For convenience lets have the force applied by a weightless rope that extends down into a chasm and has a 1# weight on the end. In this case the forces balance and any up/down motion it has will remain unchanged and work [FxD] will be done against Gravity at some rate - a POWER. If the weight is just hanging theres a F but no Distance. No work-no power. Motion is required. So apply an excess of torque to accelerate the weight to a speed [ft per minute or Distance per time]. After accelerating to the chosen speed drop torque back to 1ft-lb. A lot of HP may have been used to get here [depending on how fast you accelerated] but now youve dropped back to the minimum needed to sustain the current motion. How much HP do we need? - - Well, how fast are we doing Work. That would be FxD/t. Looks suspiciously like F times Speed doesnt it. yep. So lets say we torqued it up to 3000'/min. We are now applying a force of one # thru a distance of 3000' every minute. That would be 3000ft-lb/min or 3/33 =1/11HP. What is our RPM? Uh-h, the pulley pulls pi D or 6.28'/rev, right? So looks like 3000/6.28 - - less than 500rpm. Now if we go to a smaller pulley, say 1'Dia while keeping the same lift speed, well have 2x that rpm. Torque needed to supply the 1# force needed to maintain lift speed will be 1/2 what it was for the bigger pulley. Lower torque -same HP- higher rpm. QED
larry

/ Correct PTO RPM to Bush Hog #50  
greg_g said:
I don't understand how any of that differs what I wrote?

//greg//
Originally Posted by have_blue
RPM has nothing to do with the torque at which your clutch will slip.

Wrong by saying yes it does. I guess if you had said it should be adjusted to slip at a different torque for different rpm use I would disagree less. Such would give such a small advantage, considerind the ample surplus torque the clutch should provide above pto steady state output, that yould have to instrument the system to find a benefit.
larry

Last edited: