Counterweight build

/ Counterweight build
Great fabrication. Nothing beats specially designed and built equipment.

Built a 3pt weight 40 years to help 2wd tractors log and FEL work. Hot water heater tank filled with scrap steel, RR rail and concrete. Plate bottom. Often had to skid the ballast on the ground using to balance and sometimes lower the center of gravity. Pulling logs chained high, hand on 3pt lift to control front end lift and steering with rear brakes. Ballast dragging on the ground when needed. My point being, think about how your ballast engages the ground. Might want some ski, edge tamer type ends on your feet? Don’t want it digging in unnecessarily.

Long tool, like cant hook or ax holder?

Hooks for buckets always helpful. Buckets are my portable tool and part boxes for a variety of jobs.

Thanks,

The ballast lifts up pretty high and I don’t expect the skids to hang up on anything unless I foolishly back over & snag fallen saplings or trunks. Plus with the hydraulic top link, I can angle the counterweight if I’m in a bind.

I have just the timberjack that I’d probably need from time to time. I don’t use axes or cant hooks.

/ Counterweight build
All done! (Well, just about)

I’m actually am going to try to get a Branson decal to slap it on for the finishing touch,… maybe come up with a “Model Number” to make it look like it’s from the factory?

Thanks to Texasmark, color is Rustoleum Cherry which I had to buy from Amazon since no one carries it locally. I got pieces of stainless steel plates for the heavy wear points. Double sided automotive tape was used.

I’m going to get a small trama kit for loggers to store either on the tractor or the ballast.

IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

/ Counterweight build #26  
That looks fantastic and functional. Is that hand screw just putting pressure on the chainsaw bar to keep it from sliding out?

/ Counterweight build
That looks fantastic and functional. Is that hand screw just putting pressure on the chainsaw bar to keep it from sliding out?

Yessir, it’s a bolt with the head ground down thin and thru a T-nut countersunk slightly on the inside. A T-handle with a jam nut completes the assembly.

/ Counterweight build #30  
And it comes in any color you want, as long as you want RED!!!

Go out and put a scratch on it...to break it in and just to get that over with

Nicely thought out build!!!