Counterweight

/ Counterweight
For good molds, local thrift store, old bread pans or anything similar.

/ Counterweight #12  
Nice. Very compact for it's weight which is great!!!

If you aren't too far,,, I'd suggest locating the lift pins so you can set it down anywhere. In the pic you won't be able to set it on the ground and get unhitched.

I often pick up my counterweight, do a five minute job, set it back down, never leave the seat, no special unhitching process required. :)

/ Counterweight
It might just have enough distance from the pins to the bottom, a couple of concrete blocks would make a good parking spot. In my effort to keep it close to the tractor, the hook interferes with the lift process. I'll have to do the top pin as a separate step. Not a biggie in my book. I'll see if it's an annoyance.

/ Counterweight #14  
Most tractors won't lower the quick hitch to the ground. By your pic the weight frame and quick hitch are both sitting on the bench. That was my concern. If you don't mind always dropping the weight in the same location it'll be fine.

I prefer being able to drop any attachment anywhere. I'm too spontaneous for precise locations. :)

/ Counterweight #15  
A good use for sheet lead is making EMP proof containers...you never know...!

I am so old I do not think I need to worry about that!

/ Counterweight #16  
For good molds, local thrift store, old bread pans or anything similar.

What heating source, and container, to actually melt the lead?

/ Counterweight #17  
What heating source, and container, to actually melt the lead?

You can use a rosebud on a OA torch, or even a propane torch - or a barbeque or a fire. I used to have an old electric range I used. A forge is ideal.

Make very sure you have clean fresh air to breathe. Wash thoroughly after exposure. Realize that lead builds up in the body.

I have been involved in shooting and reloading as a hobby for over 40 years. Remember when they outlawed lead paint? The research on lead poisoning is deep and scary. Knowing what I know, I handle lead with care and NEVER melt it. It's just not worth it to me. I'm getting ready to build a counterweight, and will use concrete.

I'm sure someone will be along and tell us how safe a boiling pot of lead really is. Just remember, lead exposure can cause irreversible brain damage...

From WebMD:

Often there are no obvious symptoms of lead poisoning. But if you’ve been exposed to lead over a long period of time, you might experience any of the following:

Permanent brain damage
Anemia (decreased red blood cell production)
Hearing problems
Reproductive system damage (men and women)
Kidney disease
Seizures
Coma

/ Counterweight
Counterweight done. No fun transferring all the ingots one at a time. Prob have room for a couple more layers. AB25DF3B-9400-4E1C-9A65-D5BD412C9944.jpeg24DA6503-2827-499B-963E-CA0FDE60265D.jpeg

/ Counterweight
Regarding melting the lead, I made a small heater assembly using a water heater burner, running on propane. Doing it outside, downwind is ok. You are not boiling the lead, causing vapor, just bringing it to the melting point. Melting point around 620 F, boiling point 3150 F. Use a high temp thermometer to monitor.

/ Counterweight #20  
I believe these were used for garage door counterweight's. They (I have two) are lead filled and weigh 200# each. They measure 32" x 7" x 3" thick. Of course I welded the bars on for 3 pt. each

IMG_20190328_185746.jpg