country internet

/ country internet #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
We moved to this dirt road 8 months ago. No water - drilled a well, no phone -phone lines end up the road a mile or 2---cell only --and AT&T only--and needed a repeater. We have sat TV, and were looking at sat internet....but just before Christmas I saw a new signal booster / repeater in Best Buy that worked for both phone AND data. Previously I found repeaters for voice only. I bought it yesterday and today I picked up an air card and wireless router at BB and VOILA we are online after 8 months of surviving with iphones and wifi hot spots. I plugged the aircard into the router and hardwired the desktop to it and connect wirelessly from my laptop and use the same aircard to access www. this is cool. Now need to work on finding a house builder. Living in one room in the barn is getting old.

/ country internet #2  
Sounds great. What is the repeater named, and what is the monthly investment?
or per minute charges?

/ country internet #3  
Mike it sounds like Life is Good! I can see one room being a bit tough at times.

/ country internet #4  
Mike,

Welcome back !!!!

Looking foward to your posts and hopefully a house building project.

Eddie

/ country internet #6  
   / country internet #8  
I have used this setup for 2 years:
zBoost YX510-PCS-CEL White dual band cell phone signal booster

It works well. Without it, i can not get voice or data.

Ken

/ country internet #9  
I'm interested in your setup as well. I have no cable and no dsl available. My only option so far is satellite internet. I have Wildblue. Although it is "ok"...and they claim "high speed" it's not. And I pay $79.95 a month for it.
I'm open to other options. Thanks

/ country internet #10  
I'm about 5 1/2 miles from the nearest Verizon tower.

I use a Verizon USB727 modem plugged into a CradlePoint CTR350 router. To provide always-on data connectivity to any computer in the house. For $69.99 / month I get up to 5GB of data (We don't download movies or play on-line games so I've never even come close to the 5GB limit). I got the modem and router through 3Gstore.
I needed an external antenna so I got a Parabloic grid antenna from Lcom.com and have it outside on my deck pointed to where the Verizon cell tower is off in the distance over the hill and through the trees.

This has worked well for me for over 18 months.....

It was great to be able to dump hughesnet!!