Country Mfg dump wagon swinging tailgate

/ Country Mfg dump wagon swinging tailgate #1  

MadReferee

Elite Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
Kubota B2710, IH TD6-62 dozer with Drott 4n1 bucket loader
I finally completed the tailgate for my Country Manufacturing wagon and it works beautifully. It looks and works like it was standard equipment. This fairly inexpensive modification now makes a very good dump wagon even better and much more versatile.

The goals of this project were: <ul type="square"> [*]Make no modifications to the existing wagon except for drilling holes. In other words it must appear to be stock and must be able to return to stock easily. [*]Use whatever material I had on hand (and I have a pretty good selection). [*]The tailgate must be easily removed. [*]The KISS principle must be rigorously followed. [/list] I think I have met all my goals. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thee are only 5 assemblies, 2 end posts, 2 tailgate latches, and the tailgate. 1" square tubing was used for the tailgate frame and for parts of the corner posts. 2.5" x 1/4" angle was used for the post sides and 2" x 3/16" angle was used for the tailgate edges and parts of the latch. 2" x 3/8" flat bar was used for the hinges and latch.

I also replaced the side boards with 5/4 x 6" pt decking and put a piece of 1/2" cdx plywood over the floor planking. Packing scraps and one of the original side boards were cut to make the wood on the tailgate and front end.

Total time to build was 2-4 hours each day over a 7 day period. A good portion of that time was "thinking" time.

A few pics of the assemblies will follow.

Attachments

• 681944-Img_0114a.jpg
    681944-Img_0114a.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,666
   / Country Mfg dump wagon swinging tailgate
Here is one of the end posts prior to cleanup. It is a length of 2.5" x 1/4" angle and 2 lengths of 1" square tubing. This design was chosen because the channel on the existing stock post is 1.25" and the angle and square tubing together fit perfectly in the stock end post channel.

Attachments

• 681946-Img_0101a.jpg
    681946-Img_0101a.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,088
Here is the finished end post. Three matching holes were also drilled into the side of the existing post and 3 nuts were welded to the back of the 1" square tubing on this post.

Attachments

• 681947-Img_0106a.jpg
    681947-Img_0106a.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 853
Here is a shot of the back side of the tailgate to show construction details.

Attachments

• 681949-Img_0109a.jpg
    681949-Img_0109a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 877
Here is a close-up of the hinge assembly. I had two different designs, one that used some 3/4" schedule 40 pipe and this one which I got by taking a look at a 10 wheel dump truck's tailgate while I was stopped behind it at a traffic light.

All the pieces for the hinge came from the scrap barrel.

You can also see how the end post fit nicely into the stock end post channel. I loose about 1.25" of end opening width on each side but in the grand scheme of things it is noise level.

Attachments

• 681952-Img_0112a.jpg
    681952-Img_0112a.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 810
Here is a picture looking in from the front of the wagon.

Attachments

• 681955-Img_0115a.jpg
    681955-Img_0115a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 749
Finally, although you can't see it here, there is about 1/8" around the 3 sides of the tailgate. The 2" angle gives an overhang that makes a good enough seal for dirt/sand material.

1.5" angle would have been perfect for around the tailgate but I did not have any in stock. I had to cut about 1/4"+ off each side to get proper clearance between the stock end post.

Attachments

• 681957-Img_0111a.jpg
    681957-Img_0111a.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 765
   / Country Mfg dump wagon swinging tailgate #8  
Very nice. I'm going to steal this idea when I get some time. Right now I am completely rehabilitating my yard and I have my hands full. I might have some questions when I get ready.

/ Country Mfg dump wagon swinging tailgate #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In other words it must appear to be stock and must be able to return to stock easily. )</font>

Don't know if you met this one. First, it looks too simple, heavy-duty, and practical to be stock. Second, after using it, I doubt you could ever return to the stock tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All seriousness aside, great job. But why didn't Country make it like that to begin with?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( All seriousness aside, great job. But why didn't Country make it like that to begin with? )</font>

I actually called and asked them this very question. They told me that originally the dump wagons came with a swinging tailgate. They stopped providing it when several users forgot to open the tailgate before dumping. As you can imagine this caused damage to both tractor and wagon as the whole thing tried to tip over backwards.

A few careless individuals spoiled it for the rest of us. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif