Coyote bait......

/ Coyote bait...... #11  
I've been out laying out a brook in a snowstorm... every time I paced down to check my distance there would be coyote tracks in mine when I walked back. I knew that they were just following me to see what I could scare out to them but it still was an eerie feeling to know that they were that close to me all morning, without even being seen or heard.

/ Coyote bait...... #12  
From reading your enjoyable posts over the last few years, it sounds like you have a most interesting job Mr. Jstpssng!

Seems like every day you're somewhere new - out in the wilds.

You appear to have scored on what many of us only dreamed about when we were 12.

/ Coyote bait...... #13  
The thing with wolfs is they don't attack dogs straight on ... I have seen it many times all over the places they send a young female wolf to lure the dog in some distance in a favorable position for the wolfs then they simply jump him... I only saw one dog resisting the trap and it was a german shepherd. My friend had a cane corso and he didn't put much of a fight against a few wolfs.

There is very limited occasion where wolfs attacked humans, they see us as an apex predator, because the humans they encounters are hunters or trappers ...

Now with coyote or coywolf they survive in urban areas, so they are used to us, and they are not afraid of us so then it can be scary...

Wolf and coyote are great observers, they watch and learn patterns and plan ambush accordingly.

I am starting to have problems with them, thankfully there is a few trappers around keeping the population in check, but I will still put a bate pile in my field this winter and snipe a few...
Snares are a good option, but you have to watch to not get the neighbor or your dog. Snaring wolf is an art it could be easy for the first one but once they associate the smell of the snare with death it takes great effort to outsmart them and catch the rest of the pack, it is no easy task.

Last edited:
   / Coyote bait...... #14  
This is one fierce mom, proud of her. She did a way better job than the guy did:)

/ Coyote bait...... #15  
Some of you may have seen the video from a couple days ago wherein a coyote had grabbed a 2 year old little girl and was dragging her away; the girl's father intervened and chased away the coyote. So today a "wildlife expert/journalist" provided a "how-to" article on how best to deal with such a coyote.....

View attachment 773339
View attachment 773340

All I can say is... the coyotes that hang around my place wouldn't be impressed much. Besides, not at all sure Nevada coyotes understand English all that well....so just wondering, what do you guys who deal with coyotes think of this advice?

I know which language I'd be speaking to a coyote dragging away a little kid. But this article gave me a good laugh this afternoon!
It even snows in Sacramento

/ Coyote bait...... #16  
. . . they send a young female wolf to lure the dog in some distance in a favorable position for the wolfs then they simply jump him.

Friend of my son was watching his German Shepherd pup in his suburban back yard. Coyote comes out of the bush line and starts playing with the dog, running all over the yard, having a great time. Coyote runs back in to the bush. Coyote comes out of the bush, starts playing with the pup. Friend notices it is not the same coyote, friend gets the pup and brings him into the house.

At least one **** sapiens is as sapient as a canis latrans.

/ Coyote bait...... #17  
Well - what can you say. Whatever works. The problem being - after stomping your feet and speaking to the coyote doesn't work. The child is still being drug off - then what do you do ......

I've been out here in the sticks with coyotes for over 40 years. Never once - not even once - has a coyote approached me. Without exception - they turn and run off.

For that very reason - I seldom have any type of firearm when I go out to work on my property. I have 80 acres and am totally surrounded by open range cattle land.

I've had coyotes sit up on the bluff and watch what I was doing. I think they want to see if I dig up something that they might be able to eat. The coyotes and badgers do dig large holes around my old pine stumps. Looking for pocket gophers or maybe chipmunks - who knows?

I seen coyotes follow my neighbor when he plows his fields with his very large tractors. They are picking up mice and pocket gophers.

I've seen how a small group of coyotes will hunt. It's an amazing thing to watch.

When we first moved down here - I lost my first young dog to coyotes. A young female coyote came in the yard. She must have been in heat. My dog saddled up to her and no matter how much I called - he would not respond. Over the hill and down into the valley. There were three more waiting. They all had young black Lab for breakfast.

/ Coyote bait...... #18  
Just now - Brownie and I were watching a young pair of coyotes out on my lake. One wanted to play - the other wanted to cruise the shoreline - looking for something to eat. The serious one did a very swift, successful leg sweep on his playmate. They are both now looking for food. I can't see them now. They are down in the half of the lake that is cattails. I'm sure they will find some form of food in that five acres of cattails.

My lake - off the front porch. You are seeing the five acres of ice covered "open" water. The five acres of cattails are down on the far end - left side of the picture. The cliffs are 20 to 40 feet high - the lake is 80 feet deep.

IMG_0144.jpeg

/ Coyote bait......
Well - what can you say. Whatever works. The problem being - after stomping your feet and speaking to the coyote doesn't work. The child is still being drug off - then what do you do ......

I've been out here in the sticks with coyotes for over 40 years. Never once - not even once - has a coyote approached me. Without exception - they turn and run off.

I've seen how a small group of coyotes will hunt. It's an amazing thing to watch.

When we first moved down here - I lost my first young dog to coyotes. A young female coyote came in the yard. She must have been in heat. My dog saddled up to her and no matter how much I called - he would not respond. Over the hill and down into the valley. There were three more waiting. They all had young black Lab for breakfast.

I have had a coyote approach me. Don't know if it had been fed by people and so was not afraid - or if there was something wrong (like rabid) with this one. It was standing next to the rose bushes in my yard just staring at me but something didn't seem right so I grabbed my .338 and hollowed it out, at a distance of ~ 15 feet. It never tried to run.

I have a lot of coyotes around here - I hear them singing every night, and many times around dawn I'll see them out patrolling my property. Since I no longer have a dog or child or any livestock on the place I don't bother them if they are acting normally (run when they see me). As far as I'm concerned they are doing me a service as I have hundreds of ground squirrels on the place, along with the usual rodents, that they can live off of. This being Nevada - open high desert - I have a ring of trees planted around my buildings for a wind break. In two places I have basins buried in the ground that are kept full of water from the irrigation line to the trees. Coyotes and other wildlife often water at those basins - I don't bother them.

Years ago I had the same scenario as you describe...my wife pointed out that my young Brittany was going nuts in the (fenced) yard. I looked out - and about 30 yards from the fence was a coyote dancing around...probably a female, because the Brittany was sure interested. Then I noticed movement - and there was another coyote hunkered down nearby at the corner of the barn. For sure he was waiting for the dog to come out of the yard. That coyote died.

Got a photo of this one as he was coming in to water.
P1120486ertbn12-8-22.jpg

/ Coyote bait...... #20  
When I've seen them around my place, I've shot a .22 towards them - aiming behind them as I'm not trying to hit them. Don't usually see them for a couple weeks after that, I think they get the universal message "GTFO"

Strangely, we used to have tons of them in the valley meadow here at night, and I'd say in the last five years I've never heard them and only seen a few total. This area is typically 5-20 acre plots, few of them with much fencing.