Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix
Zowie, I wish I had you guys surrounding me like guardian angels in everything that I do - good ideas, historical info and, if you get my drift, lots of positive support that makes things go in the proper direction instead of negative crap and energy that steers things downhill! Many thanks.

Now on with the saga. Service mgr called this a.m. ---
Tractor is still under NH full warranty!
Then it has another 12 months of power train warranty!
Part has been ordered and should be in Wednesday or so!
Weather is supposed to be lousy the next several days AND his driver called in - did I really need the tractor back on my site only to be hauled right back to the shop? He was thrilled to hear no.
He specifically asked if there was anything else I could think of that needed attention since the warranty full tractor warranty would run out soon. I mentioned the steering column sticking and he said fine, that was covered.
He said he would really look it over when they brought it back so that everything could be covered under the warranty!!!

When I mentioned the cold running problem and that I had the parts (valve & fittings) but hadn't gotten them on yet, he said bring them in and they would install them but that they had done some dynamometer tests both w/ and w/o the shutoff and saw no difference in operation.

Anyway, I feel like it was all the positive energy that has gone into this that is making it work out!
Thanks again, Steve

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #32  
I a, looking at blue for my new rig, and have been watching this closely. I feel better, I can only imagine how it eases your mind....

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #33  
steve, thats what it's all about . it's too bad some people in society don't think that way,to them it's "whats in it for me attitude". hope everything works out for you....tgello

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #34  
Steve

Glad to hear your dealer got it worked out as he should! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #35  
My story on tranny recall...

This situation is exactly why I refused to let NH do the tranny recall on my TC40D with less than 100 hours on it. I called NH offices and negotiated a new tractor. This took about 3 weeks and 2 supervisors approval to work out but was worth it. I got 5 more horses, new color and 0 hours with updated features. I did not want an almost new tractor split in half and torn completely down to replace a gear. If you are willing to give some and not expect something for nothing, most good manufacturers will work with you.

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #36  
Re: My story on tranny recall...

Duckhunter, had a similar problem 11 years ago with a Ford pickup. 3rd gear in manual trans was "notchy" when upshifting. The dealer wanted to tear down the trans but I consulted an independent mechanic that advised to either get trans replaced or get it documented if further problems developed. His advice was it was minor and would be OK. 11 years and 170,000 miles later he was right, truck still is notchy but has been fine.

Bill C

Well, I guess it's time to resurrrect this thread and give a progress report. My TC-35 came back home to Mommy & Daddy this afternoon.

New BellHousing! Steering length adjusts to infinite lengths - better than it ever did! Steering angle works smoothly in at least 200 different positions! Bought a cutting edge for the bucket and it cuts pretty doggone well - almost through a UF cable that was just a tad too close to the surface! A couple of oddball items, though, that I have questions about.

Oddball #1 I noticed right away that there were two keys on the little ring and that I only had ever had 1. I thought, wow, they even made an extra key for me - pretty cool. Upon closer exam, I noticed that both of them were new and upon even closer examination, I saw why. A brand new ignition switch!! Why would they replace that? Lost the key? Secret NH recall?

Oddball #2 Even after 2 solid hours of pretty good work, the temp gauge never left bottomed out! Some time ago it had the cool running problem. Until I could put in the valve fix, I had clamped an old pair of vice grips on the engine / radiator hose to block the flow and it has always worked well to bring the temp up. Vice-grips are still there but no temp rise! Any thoughts? In changing the ignition switch, a wire came off?? A recall fix that doesn't make the temp go up??

The ignition mystery I will ask about but am simply curious about. The low temp I will also ask about but am more concerned with.

Any way, it looks like NH covered everything but the cutting edge - but I haven't been billed for it, so maybe they are thowing it in for my troubles, heheheh!

Again, Thanks for all the help on this challenge.
Steve

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #38  

Sounds like the mechanic left the wire off the temp sender. I couldn't tell you on the ignition switch, but, in twenty five years of mechanicin' I've broken just about anything it's possible to break, s&$t happens! They might have left the harness connected and pulled the switch apart when they split the tractor or when they pulled the sheet metal. Or they just might have needed one in a hurry and used yours and replaced it when the new one came in. BTDT

/ Cracked Bell-Housing AFTER NH Tranny Fix #39  

Don't be surprised if you have been bitten by the "crummy thermostat" bug that several of us have seen. Here is a picture of my faulty thermostat with the jiggle pin stuck and holding it open. If you do a search, you will see that this problem is common. Why NH doesn't do something about it is beyond me.

13-94047-Thermostat.JPG

Ignition switch - Service mgr. asked while I was on the phone and one of the guys said they didn't replace the ignition, just gave me an extra key - still looks like just like a new switch and keys to me!!

I am going to check the sensor connection right now and if it isn't that, he said they'd send someone out to take a look. They definitely had to disassemble the dash etc. to rebuild steering assembly. I should have thought of that!

What are symptoms of bad thermostat bug that are different from the block / radiator hose problem? Just runs cold? He, again, said that although NH had come up w/ a fix for the flowthrough hose, they had done dynomometer tests in the shop that showed no difference. I don't know what he means by "no difference" - doesn't get any hotter?, doesn't generate more HP or torque?, doesn't carbon the cylinders?

Will report my progress
Steve