Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times?

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Relative is gravely ill, has large amount of tools in his workshop, has asked me to dispose of them so his wife does not have to do so.

Is there an simple way to keep track of several hundred items, label each, post them on CL, keep track when they are sold, update CL posting every couple of days to keep it fresh, make the posting interesting with photos, insure the correct photo is matched to proper tool, etc.

This is easy when seeking to sell just a few items... I've got hundreds to sell.

I wish to post in one city only, will accept cash only from people standing in front of me. I understand need to use unique email address, perhaps multiple for this purpose. Also understand that probably a max of 10 or so posts per day is a limit that CL sets.

I know this will take a good while to do, be hoards of phone calls, bunches of personal face-to-face encounters. Willing to do that to help my relative. I know the scammers are everywhere.

I just want to simplify the process knowing that attention to detail and manual intervention will be required to handle the posts. Have searched the net.... autoposters seem to be focused on posting ads in multiple cities, etc...didn't find one that I thought was appropriate..surely I am missing something.

FYI, stuff to sell includes multiples of just about every kind of tool and equipment you can think of, and sometimes, 5 to 20 of the same type...including:

welders
grinders
drills
saws
bits
chain saws
lawn mowers
blowers
trimmers
wrenches
hammers
extension cords
air compressors
metal benders
50 ish channel locks

you get the picture...

Ideas and pointers to the process and software to assist are welcome.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #2  
Makes more sense to me to advertise and have a one or two day Estate sale. Get much of it done at one time, and get your cash. What is left that doesn't sell, go on CL.

Do as you wish, but I think you realize what you are up against, and it doesn't sound pretty.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #3  
When my Father in Law passed away that is what we did - we had an estate sale and the autioneer met with me prior to the auction and we put a reserve on the more expensive items and let the rest go to the highest bidder ..my mother in law was happy with the results and only had a few items left..the auction only took a half a day..it worked well for us. The Craigs list route for all you have sounds like a bear ! I suggest you think of the cost in lost time to meet with all the folks and the risks involved before you go that route..Good Luck..

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #4  
To me, and Estate sale and an auction are two different things.
The Estate sale, prices are placed on the items and people buy like going in a store. Dickering on the price is possible, as well as getting a better price for quantities.

But an auction with auctioneer may be another route to take, as a lot of the work is done by the company running the auction.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #5  
Good point..they are different and the auctioneer and his crew did do all the work, they organized all the items, priced them and sold them with their " salemanship " - they did it all and their fee was well worth it, especially at a time when the last thing a family wants to do is dicker over something that was important to a gravely ill relative..

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times?
all good ideas...am sure I will learn a lot as this goes forward. Considerations so far include.

Relative is still living at the location... don't want to have things appear that a bunch of vultures have descended.

This would occur with either estate sale (they price stuff and lots of people come thru the place for several days) or

Auction (huge number of people come)... location is residential area, not in the country, no parking, no place to spread out the goods, numerous logistics problems.

Both the above remain an option, perhaps, at a future point in time.

Things are in all sorts of disorganization... things they want to "keep" are mixed in with items to dispose of. Much of this is specialty stuff that IMHO would not be properly marketed by estate/auction procedure. I can provide some organization to the stuff, NOBODY is available to resolve this either now, during progression of illness, nor after.... Most auctions I've seen simply toss various tools into buckets and sell it by the bucket.

I know it sounds like I am rejecting sage advice....perhaps so, but am seeking to balance sensitivity to the situation with getting the job done.

Any comments about commissions you have experienced from auctions or estate sales ?? I need this background as a minimum.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #7  
Relative is still living at the location... don't want to have things appear that a bunch of vultures have descended.

This would occur with either estate sale (they price stuff and lots of people come thru the place for several days) or

Auction (huge number of people come)... location is residential area, not in the country, no parking, no place to spread out the goods, numerous logistics problems.
Perhaps an auctioneer will move the items to another location and hold the auction. Happens a lot here.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #8  
texasjohn
Then from your last post, I would suggest going with great caution, and have the owner sign off that you have the power to make the sales decisions.
I can only assume that there are no children that need to be involved, and/or relatives that feel they should get some of his possesions? As well as a wife who agrees.
Only assumptions, and past experience with doing a favor for one that may not set too well with others (you don't want to be in the middle of something that is a huge mess).

Visiting an auctioneer will get many of your questions answered. CL seems that last choice and the most work for you.
Income from the CL sales may also be of interest to the IRS and any settlement of the final estate. If you collect it, then it may be called your income.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #9  
Like Inspector 507 said, a lot of auctioneers have permanent auction house where they also hold auctions. You could contact an auction company, and they can pick up the tools and auction them at their site.

/ Craig's List: how to easily post multiple times? #10  
And of course be aware that auctioneers with Integrity are a rare breed. It will take some looking to find one.

The several we have in our area are capable of doing crappy stuff and also be aware they will expect at least 25% from your side ..... plus probably a buyers fee which pushes your net margin down..

(My father was in the Antique business and went to thousands of auctions .... the stories he could tell !)