Craigslist translator

/ Craigslist translator #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
So...I'm browsing CL ads and looking at construction machinery I see these actual lines in ads and it reminds me of other read between the lines stuff you see on CL.
Feel free to add your own. :D

What the ad says____________________________________What it really means
Seems to be a good solid machine ................................................I bought at auction and I'm just trying to double my money.
Needs some TLC..........................................................................Worn out piece of junk that should be sold for scrap

/ Craigslist translator #2  
Free firewood............................Cut down my rotten tree between the house and power line. Must be certified, bonded, and insured. Keep the wood for payment.

Bruce

PS just found an example:

Remove our trees for firewood

Remove our trees for firewood

00H0H_3s7lIfIPOVp_600x450.jpg 00000_4BuvI9mNkIH_600x450.jpg

We have 3 very large and mature trees needing removal. They are some type of fir. Free wood for you with removal. Take one, take two, take three. Your choice.

Must show proof of insurance for injury liability and property damage and have done this before.

Last edited:
   / Craigslist translator
new tracks new rear sprockets new top idlers new radiator new fan rebuilt torque converter ..........................................It's a money pit and I'm tired of working on it.

/ Craigslist translator
The firewood one is a classic bcp. It is brought up frequently on the forestryforum

/ Craigslist translator #5  
$25,000.00 invested in rebuild, sacrifice for $12,500.00"................I've given up. It's still a POS.

/ Craigslist translator #6  
"Cute and cozy cottage for sale"..............forget about furniture or your cat, no room to put an army cot in the only bedroom and the cat would run away looking for more room to lay down.

/ Craigslist translator #7  
Only used on Sundays..........................translates to couldn't get it to start on Monday thru Saturday.

/ Craigslist translator #9  

You didn't just go there??? LOL

#1 Reference to a tractor or other machinery as a "vehicle" = scam. I don't know of anyone who actually owns a tractor that calls it a "vehicle".

#2 "I was going to restore/fix it but I just don't have time". Translation: It is either too costly to be worth repairing or I have no idea what is wrong and/or how to repair it

/ Craigslist translator #10  
"Yard slopes down to the waters edge"........ means shack is perched on a cliff and is in danger of sliding over.