craigslist

/ craigslist #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
my craigslist sign of the times rant. yesterday I thought I had a peice of equipment sold. I was asking 750 and ended up taking a 725 for it agreeing over the phone it was some forks for a skid steer. the guy shows up saturday like we agreed when he said he would and gets out a check book. I say I only take cash. he gets mad at me because I did not tell him I only would take cash. He did not have an atm card his wife had it. it just seemed odd. I could see what would happen i take the check it bounces he has a set of forks. was I wrong. I did tell him i would hold on to it until monday when he gets cash call me so I will see if he was just new to buying and selling or running a scam. I have never showed up to buy a craigslist in a yard or classified add with a personal check.

/ craigslist #2  
IMO, unless the ad stated so or you informed him that you would not take a check....he had every right to be disgruntled with you...

/ craigslist #3  
Interesting thoughts?

Many businesses no longer accept checks, and I have yet to write a check at a flea market.

Cash, debit/credit card is is king, and I normally change checkout lines when I see someone pulling out their check book.

I normally ask if the owner will accept a cashiers/bank check for large amounts, but never considered trying to write a personal check. Personal checks are becoming more like IOU's in this economic climate.:confused:

/ craigslist #4  
Maybe it's just me but when going to buy any Craig's list item I automatically think Cash..It would never occur to me to give a personal check...#1 - I know I would not take a personal check from someone I did not know #2 I don't want to give a personal check to a stranger off Craig's list...since it has your acct. no. on it, your name, address and signature...more info than they need. I would also be leary takinga cashiers check since these scanners can make exact copies..good enough to fool even Banks...So for a large sum..I would let someone meet me at my bank or theirs.

/ craigslist #5  
I just sold a 7 ft back blade through Craigslist last week (which I purchased last year through Craigslist with cash). I was asked by the purchaser cash or cheque. I said cash works well, he came and got it and paid cash. Several weeks ago I bought a better back blade :) through Craigslist and paid cash. Frankly any one that takes a cheque is, in my mind, taking a good chance of being out the money. Mostly good folks out there but lots of bad ones as well. You do not know these people, they phone or email, show up and give you a check, :eek: take your goods and are gone. If the check is bad most sellers would not have gotten the purchasers name, phone number, how would you even find them and your goods. Any thing I have purchased from Craigslist, and there have been a number of items, I have always paid cash. A couple of times when I went to look at an item I did not have the full amount but left a cash deposit and when picking up the item paid cash. As a reminder I still have some bum checks from 1986. :mad:

/ craigslist #6  
Whenever I show up to buy something like this I always bring cash, I think a cash buyer can get a better deal. i.e., the guy is asking $450 and you whip out $400 cash...that is hard to resist!

I do think you should have told the guy you would only except cash up front.
Either that or follow him to his bank.

/ craigslist #7  
IMO with the way things have got with scams and shady deals I would not except a check either, he should have ask when talking with you if you would take a check, one cannot assume everyone will take checks, But looking at it from the buyers point of view he might want to pay check for reasons of proof of purchase, I remember many years ago the wife held a Garage sale and I contributed many of my old things tools etc,etc, one guy came and purchased a couple hundred dollars worth and wanted to pay with check, the wife ask for cash instead the man said that he runs a Business buying and selling of used things and needs to keep record of his purchases reason for paying with check, but if he had to pay in cash he would like to get a itemized receipt, He then pulled out cash,
........................ I learned from this and now ask for receipts also when buying used things, Quite a lot of things being sold on CL are shady/ stolen and I wouldn't want to be caught up in something like that so getting a receipt or having purchase something with check name written out to person selling said item will help if ever something turns bad about the deal.
Please don't think I am suggesting anything... only trying to bring to light why some folks want to pay for used things with a check...;)
Hope this helps :cool:

/ craigslist #8  
The OP should have said cash only. However, if I was the buyer, I would have assumed cash instead of using a check. I still purchase some items with check and sold some items with check but it is becoming rare. Personally, if the seller expects cash, he should have said cash only. Two words - Cash only. As the buyer it is a bit of a hassel to get cash but if I want the item, I will get the cash.

Everyone is different. Most misunderstandings like this are a simple lack of communication. If the OP said cash, the buyer probably would have brought cash. I bought a set of car ramps 1 year ago off craigslist. The lady said she would leave them on the porch and to leave the money between the storm door and house door. I arrived, saw the ramps on the porch and left the $ in an envelope between the doors. Never saw the seller.

/ craigslist #9  
I went into an old auto parts store in my hometown one day, and they had a sign behind the parts counter that read, "We accept cash from pilots with two photo IDs." :laughing:

/ craigslist
I guess I should have put cash only in the ad but I have sold about 10 things on CL And every buyer has shown up with cash. When he said on the phone he would buy it it never crossed my mind to say bring cash. Hopefully it works out. I just can't see taking a personal check. They could be from a old acount or stolen and then he is down the road with a 700 steal of a deal. I guess every ad from now on will say cash only.