Oil & Fuel Crap in fuel tank. Help!

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Guys, I have a big issue and need some good advice. Several years ago I purchased a Ford 3910 tractor that was made in 1988 with very low hours. Since then I put about 10 hours on it and have kept it in a building but only ran it once per month for 10-15 minutes. After storing it and not running it much for past 3 years it started missing or sounding like it wasn't getting fuel. After further investigation I found that the screen in the fuel shut off valve was totally clogged. So I changed it out and drained the tank. Rinsed it out with fresh diesel fuel and filled it back up. Inside the tank looked like a brown film with what looked like grains of sand or small bumps that could be rubbed off. Then fuel also smelled and was dark brown in color like muddy water. I figured with rinsing the tank out that I might be good but after running the tractor 3 hours it's doing it again. Based on this what do you recommend? This last refill I put in a Opti-Lube with cleaners and biocide. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #2  
Clean the tank. Inspect the lines; flush or replace as needed. Flush the pump. Replace all filters. New fuel. Disconnect injectors. Run pump to flush those lines. Might need to replace the injectors.

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #3  
Start at the tank and work forward. You probably have some crud stuck somewhere causing a restriction. Clean out the supply and return lines to the tank. If it has any banjo fittings look close in those. Crud will collect and build up there and restrict the fuel flow. I would get a service manual and look for locations of any screens that might clog also.

I went through a long drawn out search and destroy mission on my backhoe when I got it and it turned out to be one little bit of rust collected in the banjo fitting at the sediment bowl. Of course that wasn't all there was to it but that was causing it to not continue to run after all else was cleaned and filter replaced.

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #4  
It looks like your shut off screen is catching much if not all of the crud. I suspect that your tank collected a lot of water from condensation and now your tank is corroded with rust and scale. You will likely have to remove the tank, fill it with coarse abrasive and roll it around to loosen the rust and scale. Depending on the severity, you may need to get some of the epoxy fuel tank lining and coat the entire inside of the tank to prevent it from continuing to rust.

From your description, I wouldn't go into excessive cleaning of fuel lines, injection pump etc until I got the tank cleaned. I think your fuel strainer and fuel filters should have stopped everything from getting past them so there should be no problem from fuel filters forward.

You may find an abrasive blaster that can clean the inside of the tank but they would need to be really careful to use low pressure air to keep from cutting thru the steel tank.
I still think small crushed stone would clean it the best if you can shake it around sufficiently.

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #5  
Guys, I have a big issue and need some good advice. Several years ago I purchased a Ford 3910 tractor that was made in 1988 with very low hours. Since then I put about 10 hours on it and have kept it in a building but only ran it once per month for 10-15 minutes. After storing it and not running it much for past 3 years it started missing or sounding like it wasn't getting fuel. After further investigation I found that the screen in the fuel shut off valve was totally clogged. So I changed it out and drained the tank. Rinsed it out with fresh diesel fuel and filled it back up. Inside the tank looked like a brown film with what looked like grains of sand or small bumps that could be rubbed off. Then fuel also smelled and was dark brown in color like muddy water. I figured with rinsing the tank out that I might be good but after running the tractor 3 hours it's doing it again. Based on this what do you recommend? This last refill I put in a Opti-Lube with cleaners and biocide. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks

I am with Gary Fowler on abrasives in the tank to start with. I have used pea gravel from a local garden center with good luck. Ken Sweet

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help!
Yes the strainer on the shut off valve has caught most everything. My 3910 has two fuel filters after the strainer and I just changed them last month but will do so again. The walls of the tank have a brown rust colored substance that I can mostly scratch off and when I do it looks like a gunky film if that makes sense. The fuel is dark brown in color and keep in mind I just completely filled the tank with fresh fuel two weeks ago after I flushed it out. There is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the tank again so am now wondering if I have a bacteria problem.

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #8  
I ran into a similar problem with a New Holland that my friend has ran Biodiesel in. Looked like mold and was very slimy with clumps. I removed fittings from tank and cleaned tank with pea gravel and paint thinner. I let it soak for 2 days in the sun sealed up and then rinsed with diesel and reinstalled. I also replaced filters and rubber lines. No problems since to my knowledge.

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help!
If it's rust I heard vinegar will get it out. Is this true?

/ Crap in fuel tank. Help! #10  
Water beads will make tiny rust bubbles that will have a slimy content from bacteria which is likely what you are seeing.
A quart of naval jelly sloshed around in the tank will dissolve all rust and slime. Be sure to wash it out with lots of water after it sets for several hours. Still better, add a few pints of sharp edged crushed rocks inside with the naval jelly and roll it around and it will scrub it super clean. Rinse with lots of water then a couple of rinses with some diesel, allow to dry in the sun for a day then remount tank and fill with clean fuel. Your problem should be fixed. Clean/replace all your screens /filters while tank is drying.

EDIT: be sure to get all the rock out when finished.