Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders.

/ Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders. #12  
A good condition “turd hearse” can fetch pretty good money

Last edited:
   / Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders. #13  
Actually 'big farm' not hobby poop spreaders use a fan arrangement to spread it. It's called a side slinger.

I dont like a side slinger, I like my Meyer twin beater rear discharge spreader better

Attachments

• E5B5D7B8-88BD-4FC9-901E-54E966DEB671.jpeg
    E5B5D7B8-88BD-4FC9-901E-54E966DEB671.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 169
  • F94C1326-9A83-4C38-81C9-E2848E4255F5.jpeg
    F94C1326-9A83-4C38-81C9-E2848E4255F5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:
   / Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders. #14  
I use my ancient New Idea with the end gate. Wood floors last forever if kept oiled.

/ Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders. #15  
There's a destroyed 8000$ shaft from the bottom of a Meyers like that in my buddies scrap heap! He still gets ugly when you ask him about it lol.

I dont like a side slinger, I like my Meyer twin beater rear discharge spreader better

/ Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders. #16  
All depends on whats going thru them, free stall manure with no straw or hay the side discharge works nice,
lots of hay or straw pack the rear beater bars will work better.
They all freeze up in the winter and require cleaning and scraping after use and running before filling in the winter if it freezes in your area,
so they are all a royal pain in the a**.

/ Crazy prices for old rusty manure spreaders. #17  
Here, a lot of people are moving out of the city, buying 5-10 acres, and raising their own cattle for meat, horses to ride, 4-H animals for the kids. They can generate a decent little amount of manure in a short while. Some are getting into gardening, as near organic as possible, and spread that manure on garden space, to improve organic matter, and nutrients.

With farm markets popping up in every small town across the country, market farmer's are spreading various types of compost on their ground, to also build organic matter, and nutrients. Many price new, so when they see an older comparable model selling for 1/3 the price, they buy it. Older, smaller one's definitely hold their value.

Years ago, I bought one of the smallest IH 100 spreaders, that needed some minor repairs at an auction for $20. Repaired it the next Sunday afternoon, and set it out at the road,for $125, which was a respectful price at that time. Came home from work that evening, and 2 guy's parked in the drive, in separate trucks wanting to buy it. The first one there said he was really considering it, the second one said he would definitely buy it, if the first one didn't. The first guy peeled out the cabbage, and bought it right there and then. Now, I'm seeing the same spreaders that people are asking from $500-$1000.