Creating a property map

/ Creating a property map #11  
I fly my drone and take a picture.

/ Creating a property map #12  
That lease is over 4 square miles. That would be huge where I live.

/ Creating a property map #13  
Huntstand has pretty good features for what you are looking for.

/ Creating a property map #14  
Google Earth Pro can be useful, especially the desktop program that has a lot more functionality over the app. It even used to have property boundaries in our area, but that was removed years ago. My favorite map program for plotting stuff is the USGS National Map that has a lot useful layers including Lidar imagery and very accurate contours. Here is an example of an area where I intend to bridge a stream. I’ve overlaid the property line using a drawing program that allows layers and added the scale that is displayed on the map. The map also has a layer of streams & wetlands, but I found the data on streams, at least in our area, are a bit offset by about 40 foot from the Lidar terrain, so I did a layer tracing the stream so I could correct the error. A couple of other resources I use are the USDA Soil Map and the USGS Wetland Map.

The location where I am considering a bridge, or possibly a ford, is upper center of this image to the left of the scale.

40F795A5-755B-41B2-9908-B9DCCA014AE1.jpeg

/ Creating a property map #15  
Both of the above websites, Hunterra and Findlotsizes shows more recent aerials of our property during our 3 year house/out buildings construction. Google maps shows the area prior to dirt excavation. Wife found one on on ESRI's system that actually had the house excavation done along with the excavator in first parking spot. Thanks for the leads. Jon

/ Creating a property map #16  
I use Google Earth Pro. I've only ever drawn in the external property lines. I can see all my trails without graphic highlights. I print it out and put in a clear sheet protector.

My limitation - my printer will only go to - 8 1/2 by 11.

Scan.jpeg

/ Creating a property map #17  
Photoshop if you can afford it; Do you have a "fast" computer? How fast is your internet??

24x36 is pretty small for 2700 acres... I was in charged of printing posters; 42" x 96" was common for me to print. 36 x 42 was the next common depending on the display...

Look at Google Earth. To see the whole area, the resolution will stink and to enlarge that would be a waste of time and paper. I would find a happy medium (cover enough ground with good resolution) and copy the screen (screen shot it) capture your whole land in a couple dozen photos then you can piece them together in the first 2 programs.

You don't want to scale the photos much larger (nor downsize them either). How is the land laid out? Square? long and thin?
Google Earth works well. Where I live the county GIS website is more than capable as well.

/ Creating a property map #18  
If you want a large printed copy, co tact a place that prints blueprints.

/ Creating a property map
What's funny is if I go to google maps, google earth etc and look at the property, my truck is in the picture. I see it parked at the shooting range. The property is 4.5 hours away and I'm down there for a few days every 6 weeks or so. The timing was perfect!

I'm going to try what Eddie did. Capture a photo from google and then mark it up in paint.

BTW: when I went to Hunterra, their FAQ section recommended a map size of 40" x 60" for properties over 100 acres :oops:

/ Creating a property map #20  
What's funny is if I go to google maps, google earth etc and look at the property, my truck is in the picture. I see it parked at the shooting range. The property is 4.5 hours away and I'm down there for a few days every 6 weeks or so. The timing was perfect!

I'm going to try what Eddie did. Capture a photo from google and then mark it up in paint.

BTW: when I went to Hunterra, their FAQ section recommended a map size of 40" x 60" for properties over 100 acres :oops:
The problem you're going to run in to, is that when you do a screen capture it's only the size of your monitor. If you try and print it much larger than your screen size, you'll find you'll lose quite a bit of resolution.