Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #21  
Eddie,

Please be aware that you are not helping me in the "Chicken discussion" with my wife.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #22  
The angles starting from the ones going straight up, then 22.5 degrees, then 10 degrees. As of right now, there is a single 3 inch screw holding the two together at 22.5 degrees. When the rains end, I will be cutting and gluing and screwing a full sheet of OSB to the side of each wall section. There are seven of them. Once that is done, I'll start framing up in between each wall section with a more skeletal frame. I'm debating between metal fasteners to hold it together, or gusseting it with OSB on either side.

The treated 4x4 posts are 3 feet in the ground and the overhang is 16 inches. That overhang will be where the nesting boxes are. Then the rest will of the room will have a perch for them to sleep, and for us to easily catch them when they are asleep.

Now I see. I would think making gussets from OSB scraps would be a very good way to keep those together. One side screwed (or nailed) and glued would be more than sufficient.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #23  
Eddie,

Please be aware that you are not helping me in the "Chicken discussion" with my wife.

Do chickens, not ducks. You have been warned!

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #24  
Do chickens, not ducks. You have been warned!
7-16-16 All 18 Ducks Checking Out Progress.jpg
What is wrong with having ducks?
hugs, Brandi

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #25  
Eddie, have you ever heard of the word "conventional"? :laughing: Just kidding, keep it up, we all enjoy your "out of the box" construction projects.
Lee,
You are so right on Eddie going over the top with unconventional projects. I love all of it!

hugs, Brandi

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #26  
View attachment 477766
What is wrong with having ducks?
hugs, Brandi

Not to derail and by no means an expert but... I call ours the world's dummest sh*t machines.

They must produce more feces per pound of body weight than any other animal in existence. Big juicy turds and loose puddles all over everywhere. One duck = 5-8 chickens' excrement "load."
Then there is the apparent lack of either instinct or intelect. It's beyond me how anything can make chickens look smart but they do.
Pekings are my only experience.

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #27  
Not to derail and by no means an expert but... I call ours the world's dummest sh*t machines.

They must produce more feces per pound of body weight than any other animal in existence. Big juicy turds and loose puddles all over everywhere. One duck = 5-8 chickens' excrement "load."
Then there is the apparent lack of either instinct or intelect. It's beyond me how anything can make chickens look smart but they do.
Pekings are my only experience.
I only raise Mallards. Pekins are breed for meat, not brains. My mallards can be fooled, but only once.;) My friend and renter started feeding my ducks while I am on cructhers. Now, the youngsters that can fly over the fence to the pond in my yard, walk over to his trailer's door and quack:cool:............before feeding time...........wanting him to come feed them. They poo alot.............but having a big pond helps. I won't swim in that pond.:eek:

.............and here I always thought turkeys were the dumbest.:eek:
hugs, Brandi

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop
Most of my ducks are Khaki Campbells, but we also have 7 swan geese and a half dozen or so other types of ducks. It's hard to count them, but I would guess we have about 25 ducks. They are fun to watch, but the biggest benefit is that they never stop eating bugs. They are in the same pasture as our five horses, three goats and one pig. They spend more time out in the grass tearing apart horse poo then anything else. There is something in there that they just love, and we've noticed a HUGE decrease in flies this year. Last year we had less then ten ducks. More ducks means fewer bugs!!!!!

/ Creating my Slightly Different Chicken Coop #30  
I'm guessing you don't coop them at night.