Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt?

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #31  
Have you thought about recycled concrete? That's what I plan on using when I eventually resurface our driveway. The guy I buy rock from charges the same for recycled asphalt and concrete. Also I hear the lime in the concrete may help keep weeds in check.

You have to be careful with recycled concrete. They usually don't remoe the rebar or wire when they crush it. Nice stuff for road base or culvert lining.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #32  
based on your research. However, "crush and run" is not a mistaken name in these parts, it is the name

on the contrary...it is a mistaken name...and if you call any industrial rock quarry/crusher...they may know what you're talking about but that (crush and run) is not what they call it...

the only references I could find to the term are by individuals/contractors that mistakenly refer to it as crush and run...again call a quarry and ask...not a reseller, contractor or 3rd party supplier...it "crusher run" is an industrial term...I have bought it many times in N.W. SC and all the quaries call it crusher run.

I understand that 3rd party suppliers may very well call it or advertise it by other names...it is a common mistake...

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #33  
Mistake or a regional preference or whatever, it's moot and fact is, in these parts, it's referred to by 99.9% of the people as ''crush and run." The average person does not deal with a quarry, they deal with a 3d party, usally an individual dump truck owner/operator who advertises it as ''crush and run." In the back of the "Carolina Trader," are a coupla standing block ads to that affect.

But hey, it is good to know the technical term, or industrial term., as you put it.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #34  
I've used both reclaimed asphalt and stone. Stone is called ledge pack or chrushed bank run, depending on where it came from. Reclaimed asphalt is called recaim around here. Recaim packs well, maybe a bit better than chrushed ledge for washout.

If you mix motor oil and diesel and sprikle lightly it tends to bind reclaim. If anyone has a better way, I'm listening. I only have put down a a few gallons of oil, as I dont want it damaging the groundwater.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #35  
Three comments:

Our driveway is about 400 feet long. We took out 6" of dirt by using a tiller and scoop. Then laid down the matt and put in gravel.

We thought putting own the recycled asphalt would be just the ticket, but when we put down four loads of recycled asphalt two years ago, it became a total mess! Turns out that around here any recycled asphalt is used on the roads if it is clean. This had all sorts of dirt in it. Every time it rained or during the winter when the driveway was wet, we had the mud all over. Last spring we put two loads of crushed rock on top of it and have had not problems.

Someone mentioned that some states have machines that recycle road material. Our oldest son was in college with one of the Mannat boys. They are the firm in Iowa that has done all the research and development in recycling roadways. Turns out they save lots of money for the taxpayer and do the job in MUCH less time.

If you would like to check them out here is a link
about

That sounds more like road base than recycled asphalt. We have the same problem since the clown who built our place put road base down and called it recycled asphalt.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #36  
[If anyone has a better way, I'm listening./QUOTE]

Use a bituminous based product that will not degrade what little asphalt remains in the recycled asphalt. :D

Oil and diesel work real good for cleaning tools used in asphalt.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #37  
Stone types are definitely regional. I live on the Ohio/Ky border. If I go to Kentucky to get stone, they have no idea what I'm talking about if I use Ohio terms (#2, #4, 57, 304, crusher run). They don't even have the same types available. They have a bunch of 3 digit numbers. "RMOF" ("run of the mill fines") is closest to "crusher run" but not the same.

BTW, here, "crusher run" is just the fines. "304" has a mix of fines and up to 1-1/2" stones.

We had a section of driveway here that was built of recycled asphalt. But it was only a half in thick at best. It was put in by the previous owner (he worked for a paving company). It did hold up for ten years or so (I'm amazed) but I was easily able to tear it up with the skidloader. I just replaced it with 6" of concrete. :)

Ken

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #38  
Here we call it "modified". I have used it for our driveway base since it packs so nicely and i use it when ever i do a paverstone walkway or patio.

/ Crush and Run vs Recycled Asphalt? #39  
on the contrary...it is a mistaken name...and if you call any industrial rock quarry/crusher...they may know what you're talking about but that (crush and run) is not what they call it...

the only references I could find to the term are by individuals/contractors that mistakenly refer to it as crush and run...again call a quarry and ask...not a reseller, contractor or 3rd party supplier...it "crusher run" is an industrial term...I have bought it many times in N.W. SC and all the quaries call it crusher run.

I understand that 3rd party suppliers may very well call it or advertise it by other names...it is a common mistake...

I'd have to agree... we have operated a har rock crusher, and have a limerock mine, and have worked with other mines for decades.. there are plenty of hard rock plants for asphalt around here as well. "crusher run" is the industry standard name here.

soundguy